Modding Bannerlord - Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A-HA! I knew this would be it. Good to see some questions finally answered. There's still more of 'em, though... :razz:

Interesting information all around. Loading multiple scenes at the same time, default texture side of 2k, dialogue string processing? Curious. Very curious. Duh has outdone himself once again, having to keep this a secret for so long. Hats off to you and to everyone else involved. :smile:

There is one question I don't believe we asked though, and it's really super important:
Which version of Mono/.NET (and which version of C#) does the game utilise?
We must know if we can use the goodies introduced in C# 6/7... Don't know if I'll be able to live without
Code:
import static

DietPillPyramid said:
Do we know any more about the Material Editor, or what the preferred texture inputs will be? Will there be enforced texture setup channels, like "Roughness must be in the Alpha channel of the Albedo", or will we have Carte blanche to channel pack as we please?
Is Bannerlord using a Spec/Gloss, or Rough/Metal system (or other)?
gkx said:
Metallic/Glossiness but there are two versions. One has modified specular color computation, the other one is same as industry standard(the one used in Marmoset, UE4, Unity etc). The texture channels are enforced.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mountandblade/comments/71imf6/dev_blog_210917_no_release_date/?sort=confidence

Hmm... so the most core-mechanics are still hardcoded.
Way too many restrictions than I previously thought.

I'll be better off to go for an open source engine than fiddling with endless workarounds on a more or less closed system. (Warband throwback, eh?)
Too bad, but that's how it is.

Nah, when you look at it only agent AI is hardcoded and still not as hard as in Warband.

As for the lack of clarity about changing Native scripts, I think you'll be able to disable the Native one and add yours which may be copied from Native's source and modified.
A bit roundabout from the direct editing in Warband, but helps with the multiple mod and patch compatibility.

I'm more worried about the lack of campaign map tool.

It seems the new modding system will be vastly more scalable according to the "Modding in Bannerlord" article. Because you will be able to have multiple mods active at the same time I wonder how they will manage precedence between active mods. I also wonder if mod authors will be able to restrict what other mods can be used on top of their own. IE, if you want core functionality to remain the same but cosmetics can be added onto the core mod. An interesting new dynamic to say the least. I hope we get a few more specifics before release and maybe some more specific examples as well. Thanks again Duh for spearheading this!

Modders would have to take care to design clean mods that do exactly what it says on the tin.
Modders are known to add unrelated tweaks they personally like to the core functionality of their mods (e.g. horse whistling in PBOD, iirc). They would have to be more disciplined this time, so their mod would be more compatible with other mods.

Precedence is simply managed by load order, but we don't know how the Bannerlord mod manager works.

horns said:
Thanks again Duh for spearheading this!
No problem. After all, I am as curious as all of you guys :razz:

horns said:
I also wonder if mod authors will be able to restrict what other mods can be used on top of their own. IE, if you want core functionality to remain the same but cosmetics can be added onto the core mod.
Personally, I am a bit opposed to restricting users from adding things to their own private load order. Seems to run contrary to the spirit of modding.

Duh said:
to run contrary to the spirit of modding

a checksum to validate the integrity of your code + warning system (that user can choose to ignore) would be enough.

Checksum will stop bug reports from users with non official versions.

Option to ignore the warning will give players the option to take the risk of playing a broken game (without expecting help/support from the modder).

New Blog out, More Modding Goodness: http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791456145274/announcements/detail/1448331314909982009

Scene Editor Shot
blog_post_13_taleworldswebsite_04.png

Windmill Script

blog_post_13_taleworldswebsite_07.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom