Modders' Interviews | Get inspired by Greats and Legends!

Users who are viewing this thread

Arch3r
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

Creator of Full Invasion - Game Developer

1.) Hello, Arch3r. I have known you since 2010 and been familiar with your secret projects ever since and community knows you for your amazingsauce modding project that started the Invasion concept. You are the father of Full Invasion. Also released tutorials and OSP scripts regarding MP. So, lets start with an introduction of yourself for those who don’t know you.

Answer: My name is Jeroen, I am from the Netherlands and currently 25 years old. I have always been a big fan of the ancient antiquity and the medieval time periods. My favorite games, that I grew up with, were Morrowind and Rome: Total War.

Morrowind, with the TES construction kit, is what has gotten me into modding. In this TES kit I started trying to learn everything: 3d modelling, basic scripts, etc. The knowledge of scripting helped me pick up other scripting languages later, such as C#, which landed me a job in programming.

I discovered Mount & Blade when it was version 0.751 or so. It wasn’t long after playing that I started to try my hands on the Module System there either.

2.) How did you get started on modding this sequel for the first time? Did you have any past experiences? Why did you want to mod this game?

Answer:  Naturally, since I already have been playing and modding Mount & Blade, going to M&B: Warband was a logical and easy step. However, I started playing Warband in it’s beta, which meant the Module System was not available yet. There was, however, an item editor that worked for Warband by editing .txt files directly.

This is how the first M&B Warband mod and the first ‘invasion’ came into existence. In multiplayer, at first we would simply put all players in one team and had the other team filled with bots. This survival co-op gameplay was actually already really enjoyable, but turned out too easy. At this point, I started editting the .txt files to rename the bots and give them better stats and equipment: heavily armoured Juggernauts with pavise shields and the Shockers with their poleaxes. People from the beta may remember these times, as sometimes I still get them referenced.

I wanted to mod this game, because it offers quite a lot of modding freedom, moreso than many other game. That and the medieval thematic made it a natural fit.

3.) You were the one to come up with Full Invasion, idea - which gave birth to countless other projects and even an official DLC. How did you come up with the idea, for the first time?

Answer: As mentioned before, the first modding project for Warband was already the project that gave birth that Invasion as most people know it. I came up with the idea simply when I had my own server that I could config to my liking. I removed the auto-balance, added 100 bots (usually Rhodoks) or so in the config, and voila.

4.) What kind of challenges you faced while designing a whole new gamemode? Was it only you? Did you expect this mod would be used as a base for many others?

Answer: My coding skills were rather mediocre when I started. The first code I wrote was not very efficient or clean. So, my own lack of skill was the first hurdle. Other limitations were mostly AI and engine limitations. After a certain amount of bots being added, servers could crash and bots would act kind of derpy (like looking in reverse direction, rather than at their enemies).

As for challenges with the actual design, one quite major issue was the death timers. When people died, they had to be spectator until a boss-wave was defeated (every 3rd wave). Naturally, people would run forward, rambo-style, and die. Then they would try to vote for a new map, so they could respawn that way. Another issue was the actual map and faction design. Usually there were some clear favorites. Especially the Empire for the players’ team was very popular. This was due to them being the strongest / most overpowered. Similarly, maps with choke points or bridges were a lot more popular than a bit more open village maps.

The Invasion team started as just me as the coder, but later had many more other people contributing (from Open Source stuff I used, to people making things specifically for the gamemode). Especially Fredelios has been with me for a long time, making models and art, the mod was as much his and mine. I lost the credit list somewhere along the line, but much love to all of the members of CoR and Wolfpack (a clan founded for Full Invasion initially).

Also, I did not expect it to become as large as it did, especially because, frankly, the code wasn’t that good (when I look at it now, it bothers me a lot). But I suppose beggars can’t be choosers and people simply took what was available.

5.) You released just so many popular OSPs - Bridge Battles, Terrain advantage, Weapon/Ammo boxes and Full Invasion codes themselves! Do you like contributing to the community in this way? Is it a decision you make afterwards you are done with the project?

Answer: I have mixed feelings about contributing. I feel like mods will be more unique if you keep everything to yourself, but I also think general improvements and generic features (like Bridge Battles) should be made Open Source. I am looking forward to Bannerlords plugin system, where running multiple mods would make it so much easier to add smaller features like this. For the invasion codes, I only released the codes as I figured the Full Invasion mod would still be distinct enough, because of all the unique models, textures and factions (which weren’t released alongside the codes).

6.) Avarice was amazing. I still remember playtesting it. It is such a shame it never came out, but it was easily going to be the next badass concept after Invasion. Why did you never make a release with that project? Was something holding you back? Not enough time?

Answer: As most people will not have heard of Avarice, I will briefly explain the concept:

It was somewhat inspired by Mobas, so a lot of emphasis was on the bots again. However, now there would be 2 teams. The players would act as commanders and could capture flags. Flags would produce Farmers (bots) that would run towards the teams’ base to provide resources. This meant supply-lines could be raided. Units (bots) could also be bought and could be sent towards flags to defend or attack/capture. There were also features, such as upgrading the base and flags’ defenses, similar to a mod called ‘baserace’ for Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory.

However, the heavy reliance on bots showed that the AI wasn’t really meant for this. I encountered so many bugs, with bots getting stuck and such, that it wasn’t worth continuing at one point. Also, I simply lacked motivation to keep working on it, it took a lot of time.

7.) Do you think your modding experience influenced you in any way? Maybe, your professional career or your studies? Was it purely a hobby for you?

Answer: Definitely. I’ve decided to pursue a career in game design now and have just completed a Master’s degree in this field. It also landed me an internship at the creators of Divinity: Original Sin 2 (Larian Studios), as I’ve put modding projects in my portfolio.

8.) What do you think of the future? A bannerlord project?

Answer: Yes, if I find the time and motivation. If monetization of mods would become a standard, it would definitely be a thing to consider (despite many people hating this idea and myself being on the fence about it)

9.) What is your favourite warband mod? Why do you like it? Also, is there any project that caught your attention lately?

Answer: I liked Hunt a lot. It was simple, no feature-creep mods as most are. Setting a reachable goal and achieving this, is usually quite rare. It was quite polished, compared to many other projects. And lately, I have not been so active, so I would say no, I have no idea what other projects are doing.

10.) What is your overall impression of the modding community of this game?

Answer: I think it is better than most games, but I also think the real potential of the game engine and modding possibilities hasn’t even been scratched. However, I have high hopes for Bannerlord, as it should make life a lot easier for both players and modders.

11.) And - lastly. Would you like to say anything to creative people who’re reading this interview at the moment? :smile:

Answer: Be concise, set clear goals and don’t try to envision too large-scope projects. Dreaming is good, but work towards dreams one milestone at a time. That, or just make random stuff and release it and be peer-pressured into working on it. That’s how Full Invasion worked out somewhat. Oh lovely chaos.

Here is a bit of extra, a conversation between myself and Arch3r after the interview took place. Some insights from his time interning at Larian Studios which may serve as a portfolio guideline and importance of modding, really.

Efe Karacar: How did you get into Larian Studios?

Arch3r: When I decided to look for internships, as I wanted to do one as part of my Master's, I just emailed companies that interested me. One of them was Larian Studios. I think I e-mailed about 5 of them, but most of them had some non-English language requirement, so Larian was the best candidate.

So, I emailed their company and they said they were interested in a Game Design intern, so naturally they asked for my CV and portfolio.
In my Portfolio I included my modding projects, by showing the amount of downloads on sites such as http://nexusmods.com and screenshots + the design of them. This was interesting enough to them that they gave me additional assignments. In the end it was completing these assignments that landed me the actual internship.

Efe Karacar: Which projects, exactly?

Arch3r: I asked later, apparently there were a lot more applicants, I am unsure of the number but it was hinted there were around 10 or maybe even more, for the same time period. So, there was some competition. They said my assignment was one of the best and my experience with modding certainly helped with that.

I think I referred only to Full Invasion. As, this is one of the oldest mods with a *lot* of downloads, plus the spin-off Full Invasion 2 was born from it, so it's easy to sell.

Efe Karacar: How did you present Full Invasion?

Arch3r: Eh, I don't remember exactly, it's been a while ago. But I believe I explained the gamemode briefly, plus it success (download-wise and it still being played in the form of Full Invasion 2, after what ... 6 years?)

Efe Karacar: Didn't you mention about the official DLC?

Arch3r: Oh, yes I did as well.

Efe Karacar: What were the assignments about, by the way?

Arch3r: Hmm, sort of making a process-diagram for a specific quest. So starting with blocks on where the quest could be obtained and how and then the possible steps and outcomes of the quest, while keeping in mind of the game features such as teleport or just outright killing quest NPCs.

Efe Karacar: Like a document? A prototype?

Arch3r: Some flowchart website. I went a step further by actually making it into a prototype though. Even though it wasn't required. According to the lead designer, my quest was the most watertight and made most sense story-wise. It was a lot of reasoning and adding personality and surprises as well. I definitely tried to make something unique, so I like to think that's why. But you never know.

Efe Karacar: Can you compare a modding team environment to the environment in Larian?

Arch3r: Sure. Larian Studios was a much larger company, with about 40 people in the main office in Ghent, Belgium and 100 to 120 people worldwide (at the time, as was told to me). In such a large team, everyone gets some pretty well-defined tasks, normally.

However, Larian was quite loose with this, especially Game Designers were also expected to chip in on other tasks (including some scripting, bug fixes and level editting). I also had the task for example to make sure XBOX controllers worked fine, as they planned to release to consoles at that time. Another thing was adding Chrome support (for Razer keyboards, f.e.), so the tasks could be quite broad. Mod teams are a very different thing, as usually they're very small and if you wanted stuff done, you should be prepared to do *everything*.

Luckily, I had some good teammember in Fredelios who was very consistent, but some other people can just disappear or not do so much. Pretty much 99% of the code was written by myself, as a solo project.

In a game company, like Larian, you have a lot more people to fall back to, but it also meant they had to put in place a good workflow and version control. Everything I made was to be checked, so I'd commit the changes and it would go on a special 'to-check' list, so the Lead Designer (or experienced other projectmember) would confirm it's good enough to place in the actual game.

So, if mistakes are made, it's easy to revert and it's checked by others. With modding, some projects can fail simply because you lose the overview or create some seemingly unsolveable bug.

Efe Karacar: What happened later on?

Arch3r: I think I joined at the worst possible time. Holiday season, after the big D:OS2 release. Even though they advised me to come in the period so, the time period was very unlucky.

As when I said: "Please, just tell me the best period to come, as I want a good and productive internship", he wrote the actual worst dates.

Efe Karacar: How was it worst?

Arch3r: It was just bug-fixing, next to no creative process. My Supervisor himself (the lead designer) went on Holiday for 5 weeks, after I had only been there for 1 week.

So, I didn't really know what to do and had no supervision, so the things I did do didn't had any meaning. They just temporarily made me do map design/level design stuff, but none of it was used in the end.

But, I think they are actually very passionate people working there. Some of the people working there are amazing, for sure. Overall mood is quite relaxed and flexible.

In different circumstances, it might have been a real cool internship.

That MOBA mod idea has a great potential. I hope he will give it another try, and Bannerlords AI will be more competent for such game mode.
An imaginary +1 for releasing that extra insider interview.

Triglav
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

3D Artist of The Last Days

1.) Hello, Triglav. You are such an old timer, many of us now only know you as the owner of the forum page, and you did a lot of 3D and scene work for the project. So, lets start with an introduction of yourself for those who don’t know you.

Answer: I’m just a guy from Slovenia in his mid-40s now, who wasn’t always an old timer, but always liked modding games.

2.) How did you get started on modding this sequel for the first time? Did you have any past experiences? Why did you want to mod this game?

Answer: I got TLD mod when Ancientwanker, the initial mod author, was still the one making it. Because I didn’t like the green orcs in it at the time, I repainted them a bit and sent the files back to him and this got our co-operation started. I didn’t specifically plan to mod the game, but as with most games I mod, I often change some details in them, just for my personal use, then sometimes this turns into more serious modding. I’ve slightly tweaked the majority of games I’ve ever played, repainted this, replaced that, fixed some inconsistencies or something that bothered me. And for a few games this became a larger project and a hobby for several years, besides TLD also a US Civil War mod for Empire:Total War, for instance.

3.) What was it like working on The Last Days? How was the team atmosphere like? Since majority of the asset is your work, how would your process go upon designing an asset or a scene?

Answer: It was sometimes hard. Various people that join to work together on a project sometimes have conflicting views on how best to proceed, so then there are arguments, compromises, frustration. But at the end of the day, when you accomplish something, you’re happy to see people enjoying it, so that makes it all worth it.

I went about things differently. Sometimes we just needed an item, so I repainted a vanilla asset, or created a model and texture for a new one. Sometimes I just tweaked existing things. For some things (like a bunch of evil faction armours and all the Gondor regional factions) I worked with our concept artist and created a whole fashion line, consistent with what that faction should look like.

With making scenes, the process was again different. For some I had a clear idea what the scene should look like, for some we debated with the team how it should look, some had to be designed around playability (sieges, caves), some were just for decoration (the Argonath, Dead Marshes, etc), we also paid attention to random battlefields, to be consistent with the geographic area, etc.

All this required tons of work. We’re talking hundreds of hours. Initial design, working prototypes, in-game testing, tweaks, bug fixing. Sometimes you even get tired of it (some people even quit after seeing how much work all this takes), other times you’re full of creative energy and want to see it completed.

4.) Do you still keep in touch with other members of the team?

Answer: Very few. With most we just went our own separate ways after the project was completed.

5.) I realize while reading the team descriptions - you are referred to as “Pushed and pulled us through the worst.”. I believe this is the most important quality a creative can possess. Would you agree? Do you have any guesses why such a title was given?

Answer: I did a ton of work, this was leading by example or “pulling”. But I also nagged, annoyed, pestered, bothered, poked and prodded people into doing their work and this was “pushing”. You have to understand, in a collective effort, which is a hobby, so unpaid and dependent on free time and will of the participants, there is a lot of uncertainty. For example, someone needed to make some specific building for a scene, but couldn’t find the time to do it. Until it’s made, I had to wait with making the scene, until I didn’t finish the scene, it couldn’t be coded into the game, a siege or battle there couldn’t be tested etc, so these delays sometimes prevented some things from being finished for weeks. And all the while the fans were asking “when is it going to be released?” and all we could answer was “when it’s done!”

After Ancientwanker disappeared, we didn’t really have a “mod leader”. We were an anarchic collective of sorts, but as we were a large team, this required a lot of co-ordination, juggling many schedules and projects within the grand scheme of things, etc. In the end it all worked out and the mod was released, which is great. But many mods also never end up finished, because of the many obstacles along the way. Potential new modders should keep in mind that working with many other people on a project, with their preferences, views, priorities, is often a lot more difficult than just making an asset for the game.

6.) How do you feel about the active development of TLD? Are you part of it, maybe?

Answer: I am not, but I am happy to see it’s still developing and growing. I gave TLD my share of time and effort and I am now glad that other, new, people took that product and are now building and improving it further with their own time and effort. That, to me, is the best thing about modding. Seeing a project get a life of its own, even when you’re no longer involved.

7.) Do you think your modding experience influenced you in any way? Maybe, your professional career or your studies? Was it purely a hobby for you?

Answer: Having always been a gamer/modder, I have definitely gained many additional skills and experiences, which ended up very useful in my professional life. I learned some tidbits of coding, a lot of graphics and 3D modelling skills, working with a creative team, project management, etc. I was even offered a job at a gaming company because of my work for TLD specifically, but then I ended up with another company at the time. The thing about hobbies is, you put a lot more effort and passion into them, than most people put in their regular jobs. In gaming terms that means you gain XP points and level up faster in those particular skills, than you would have otherwise. And companies like hiring levelled characters, as it saves them the trouble of training them themselves.

8.) Do you have any intentions to do modding work for Bannerlord?

Answer: Let’s cross that bridge when we get to it. :smile:

9.) What is your favourite warband mod? Why do you like it? Also, is there any project that caught your attention lately?

Answer: Besides TLD I have also played Gekokujo, Star Wars: Conquest, Viking Conquest and Warsword Conquest. I’ve also modded them and tweaked them a tiny bit, for my personal use. Can’t help it lol.

10.) What is your overall impression of the modding community of this game?

Answer: Mount & Blade is a very good platform for modding. It enables people to easily create their favourite settings, from historic to fantasy and pop-culture ones. So it has attracted many, many talented people, each with their own vision of what they want to play. Mods also give the game a lot of replayability, so they are also a great asset for the game developers. I think Taleworlds know this, so they planned and embraced modding as an integral part of Mount&Blade.

11.) And - lastly. Would you like to say anything to creative people who’re reading this interview at the moment? :smile:

Answer: I’m not big on inspiring speeches, really. If you have the itch to modify games, you’ll do it regardless. :smile:

Great interwiews, i was modding a little on Baldur's Gate in 2007-2008 :facepalm: and many of these guys were "teens", and i didn't played Warband before 2012 (i think i watched a video of Warband in 2010 but it was too ugly and a small size battle :mrgreen:), i've maybe mistaken something ^^

Also i always believed that great modders were guys that already had skills but it seems they pretty much all started from zero, and improved with curiosity and then studies, impressive guys.

Baldur's Gate <3 !!! I still have its 5 CDs with paper case from the late 90's. Once I'll make a Sarevok armor despite of he is a dude.

Idibil
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

Founder of Brytenwalda and producer of Viking Conquest DLC

1.) Hello, Idibil. The spanish legend, founder of the famous and brilliant Brytenwalda and the lead of the Viking Conquest DLC! So, lets start with an introduction of yourself for those who don’t know you.

Answer: Greetings Efe and the rest of the Community. That of the Spanish legend sounds very exciting, as if it were a sort of Viriato or Corocotta or from “The Gladiator” film, but I'm not that important. My name is Alberto and I'm just a great follower of the Mount & Blade series who loves the Dark Age and one day decided to start a mod called Brytenwalda.

Answer: The truth is that I think I have an overflowing creativity problem :wink: . Even as a child, I used to draw comics and wrote stories. Then I took it forward, trying to write novel and historical essays, and later, I explored to change here and there with different video games. The truth is that I've always liked to experiment and look for new ways to relate stories.

My first serious experience with the modding was with the Iberia Total War, a mod for Rome Total War where the Punic Wars and the conquest of Hispania by Rome were recreated.

Soon after, I found out about Mount & Blade and spent a lot of time playing and trying out mods. At one point, I was reading about the Dark Ages in the British Isles, not only the subject of Arthur, but the impressive age that came after his death, as well as direct sources and Welsh epic poesia (in fact, I even made a translation from Canu Heledd to Spanish).

You know what? I discovered a fascinating world, a small territory with many kingdoms, with frequent wars and skirmishes and men made of other dough, and I thought it was the perfect time for a Warband mod.

3.) How did it all start out, Idibil? Why did you want to make Brytenwalda? How did you grab the attention of some of the amazing modders you had in your team, likes of motomataru, Adorno and Lenny?

Answer: I am never afraid to investigate new things and while I was still learning about the Dark Age in Britannia I started to investigate the code of Warband Source. It fit so well what I wanted that I soon started writing some quest and adjusting some parameters. Then I added more content, one thing led to the other and Brytenwalda grew day by day for four years.

I met Adorno through this forum when Brytenwalda was still in its early stages. He was doing some great scenes that fit perfectly with the mood of the mod. He had so much talent that I wrote to him asking for permission to use them. He replied that yes, it is more, he decided to join the team and began to send me his work regularly. I am proud to have worked with him. Adorno is one of the best people I know.

Ah Motomataru! I met him a little later when I discovered the work he was doing with the formations and the AI. At that time his code was already impressive, and what he did after Viking Conquest has put his name among the best. The battlefields would not be the same without him.

I ain’t good codder, so when Motomataru first, and Phaiak later (he did magic with the sea Warfare) joined to the team I think that Brytenwalda mod gave a big quality jump and started our way to Viking Conquest.

What can be said about Lenny, or Brust (as we called him on the team). His textures, the quality of his work, revolutionized all the visual aspect of the mod and then the DLC. What I liked most about him was his initiative and his lack of fear to learn what was needed. Well, you can see his talent by yourself.

4.) Did you expect that all this would turn into a DLC? How did that go?

Answer: No, I started all this because I like history and write stories. I wanted a mod based on the post-Arturic era. I wanted the great Penda sowing panic in the players, painted pictish at the North, and everyone to discover a time that had fascinated me.

I was the first surprised of the success of the mod, hundreds of thousands of downloads in its latest versions. But also many since its first betas.

I need more, the story of the Sons of Ragnar and the North of Europe in the IX century was great too. Brytenwalda Mod ask for going a little further, and that is how Viking Conquest came about and Taleworlds also liked the idea.

5.) What was the biggest obstacle during the development of Brytenwalda and Viking Conquest?

Answer: For Brytenwalda my main obstacle was learning, everything was new, but we had a goal and that always makes things easier. In addition, we have all the time of the world.
In Viking Conquest the challenge was to maintain an organized and motivated a team for a bigger challenge than Brytenwalda with more limited times. The effort and love put into the DLC were enormous and I can only be grateful to the team for all those sleepless nights and to Taleworlds for the opportunity they gave us.

6.) Do you think your modding experience influenced you in any way? Maybe, your professional career or your studies? Was it purely a hobby for you?

Answer: It all started as a hobby, but it stopped being a hobby when we started working with Viking Conquest.

At a professional level I had experience leading teams or working with different departments, but Viking Conquest allowed me to test myself to the maximum leading a team that came to be longer I hoped with people from different countries and cultures. I recognize that there were hard times, but I have learned a lot and I am still learning.

I consider Viking Conquest one of the best experiences of my life.

7.) What do you think of the future? You setup your own indie studio, now. Is the development team the same people behind Brytenwalda and Viking Conquest? Do you have any plans to do modding work for Bannerlord?

Answer: Brytenwalda Mod is Brytenwalda Studios now. My mind always is working on new ideas, we are working on new ideas. The core team continue joined and "Wyrd bið ful aræd".

What time will you travel next time? You'll have news soon.

8.) What is your favourite warband mod? Why do you like it? Also, is there any project that caught your attention lately?

Answer: It is not an easy question to answer, the Warband modders community has made products of outstanding level. In fact, I am still surprised by the quality of the mods that continue to come out.

Personally, I have a predilection for historical themes, but I recognize that I have also played fantasy or expansions of the world of Calradia that I have loved.

9.) What is your overall impression of the modding community of this game?

Answer: They are amazing, whenever I have written to someone or asked for help, especially when I started with Brytenwalda Mod, there was someone willing to help.

One never forgets where he comes from and although sometimes you distance yourself for work or family, I have always tried to save time for this community, enjoy the forums and respond to all the private messages that they send me.

10.) And - lastly. Would you like to say anything to creative people who’re reading this interview at the moment? :smile:

Answer: Whether I can give an advice for modders would be "do not be afraid to dream". The road can be long and it can be hard, but if you want something, fight for it.

For the rest of mortals, let them know that the only reward for a modder is for the community to play their work, enjoy their comments, their suggestions, their guides. We are creative beings that need to express that creativity. For the modder, knowing that you are having fun with his mod is a huge personal satisfaction. Be always constructive and patient.

Efe Karacar said:
Wyrd bið ful aræd

Uhtred approves!

BW was a amazing mod and I only rejoined this forum community because of VC (my ancient account lost forever in the depths of the forum). If anyone is daring enough to look through my posts history and check the very first one ...

kalarhan said:
Just got my pre-order from Steam.

I have being playing M&B for years (since original). Recently I started to mess around with mods and Brytenwalda really impressed me.

Now you are making a new version, with vikings, all the cool stuff (features) from the major mods (Floris, Brytenwalda, Diplomacy, Clash of Kings, ...) I really like. Win/Win. AND a story-mode!!!

Cant wait!

ps.: imagine what the modders will do with the new game version!

Modding VC rekindled my personal love for M&B-mods-and-coding. So salutes to you @Idibil!

Answer: The truth is that I think I have an overflowing creativity problem :wink: . Even as a child, I used to draw comics and wrote stories. Then I took it forward, trying to write novel and historical essays, and later, I explored to change here and there with different video games. The truth is that I've always liked to experiment and look for new ways to relate stories.

Damn I wish I was as creative as Idibil! It might sound strange but even as a modder I consider myself a non-creative being - I'm more of a worker who is determined to finish work that other people gave me (or I was inspired by something so I wanted to create it myself with adding some personal thoughts to it). I can't create stories all by myself, that's just beyond my imagination.

Anyways Idibil is a legend and one of the modders that has my huge respect. He's a very nice person that will try to help you despite his time being limited by something big.
Thank you for everything you've done already Idibil. I hope you continue doing what you love!

Back
Top Bottom