Resolved 日本語 - JP Mistranslation of "Troops" (important translation part)

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
Yes, but I removed mods.
The other person briefly pointed out the mistranslation once on his 2022.2.2, 17 months ago.
However, it seems that TW's Japanese advisor did not understand the meaning.
So, this time, I will write down a reliable explanation below.

Also, depending on how the translation is applied, I think that there are parts that are mistranslated and parts that can be left as they are, but it is a definite mistranslation.
While playing for 2 years, I checked if it was a mistranslation, but I can assure you that it is definitely a mistake.

In order to play the current MOUNT & BLADE II: BANNERLORD Japanese version, it is a prerequisite to use a translation MOD.
Or you can learn the rules by posting on external game sites.
The reason is that the fatal mistranslation is not corrected, so the game system is misunderstood.

Translation Error:
<string id="5k4dxUEJ" text="中隊" /> MultiPlayer\std_TaleWorlds_MountAndBlade_Multiplayer_ViewModelCollection_jpn.xml
<string id="zPYRGJtD" text="中隊" /> SandBox\std_TaleWorlds_CampaignSystem_jpn.xml

Corrected Translation:
<string id="5k4dxUEJ" text="兵士ユニット" />

<string id="zPYRGJtD" text=" 兵士ユニット" /> A single-byte space is required at the beginning of the word.

Where did you find this error (which conversation, screen, area,...)?: Encyclopedia
Screenshot:
百科事典TOP.jpg

百科事典コンセプト.jpg

Last edited:
Translation Error: Description of "中隊"
I will fill in this to explain to TW's Japanese advisor why it is a mistranslation.

"中隊" = A word with a specific meaning that describes the size of an army. It's a military term.
Although it changes with the times, in the expression of NATO forces USA,
"company or equivalent artillery battery squadron (some countries for some arms only) U.S. cavalry troop centuria".
If you do not understand the text, I will attach an image file, so please check it with the table.

From the table below, you can see that the meaning of "Troops" is not "Company".

Furthermore, if I tell you that I understand
In MOUNT & BLADE II: BANNERLORD, it is used as a general term for people who belong to the ranks of medieval warriors.

Medieval class recognition is based on the following assumptions.
clergyman
fighter
cultivator
I'm not a native speaker, so I don't understand English well.
It is a division that people belong to one of these.

For example, an infantryman, an archer, and a knight.
Also, I understand that it is a broad expression that includes knights called lords and kings.
A platoon made up of multiple squads.
Furthermore, if multiple platoons gather together, it is a company.
It shouldn't be the word that describes this company.

So "中隊" is a mistranslation.

In-game terms for army size include formation, party, and army.
Add to that the mistranslation of Troops and the mixed expressions, and it's a terrible situation.

MAB2 説明用.png

Last edited:
Description of the Japanese translation of "Troop".
How the word "兵士" was chosen.

It's important because it translates the basic concept of the game.
I think that there are few mistakes, but paid compensation is not possible.

Suggested translation is one of three words: soldier, private, soldier.
Since it is written in kanji, it has some things in common with Chinese.
In Simplified Chinese, we use "士卒".
The composition of the word is "士samurai" + "卒graduation".
Similar to "knight"+"squir", but closer to "leader" and "other".

At the time when Chinese characters were invented, the ancient army consisted of two types:
"士'', who gave orders,
and "卒'', who were ordered.
It's a very old time when everyone could become a "士" after graduating from "卒".
Combining these two characters, it is "士"+"卒"="士卒".
The meaning is a word that expresses all of those who fight.

From the sentence just explained, there are two types of occupations present in the language.
Therefore, it can also be used as a plural form of the word.
Therefore, the logic of the plural "Troops" = "Shiso" is established.
However, the singular ``Troop'' = Shiso doesn't hold logic, so we will consider other words.

"兵Soldier"+"隊Team"="兵隊".
As time progresses, the gap between rich and poor, and the difference in social class occurs, and "卒" changes to "兵".
A squir that can be knighted will be of higher rank and will be distinguished.
It will be called "兵" to distinguish it from the previous word "卒".
The status of "兵" will always be "兵".
It's medieval times.
At that time there were three classes of people: those who prayed, those who fought, and those who cultivated.
It can also be said that there are three races: (Clergyman), (Knight) and (Cultivator).
Commoner combatants are called "兵".
The status of "兵" will always be "兵".
It seems that two "soldiers" will become "soldiers", but that will not happen.
For short, the plural form is also soldiers.
"隊" is a group of soldiers. "隊"= Team. 
Therefore, it can also be said that it is a word used in the definite plural form.

"兵Soldier" + "士SAMURAI" = "兵士Soldier"
Compared to the two examples above, this is a word in which the lower class ``Hyo'' is in the front and the higher class ``Shi'' is in the back.
It is a word that was established in the era when the class system began to change.
In Europe, I think it was around the time of the Napoleonic Wars.
It was an era when the influence of commoners began to grow.
So the ancient "兵" and "卒"' needed to be respected as well as the knight.
So we added an honorific title to "兵"' and it is "兵士".
"兵" = "兵士".
I don't know if you can tell, but "Soldier" = "Mr. Soldier".
"兵" has been used both singularly and plurally.
"兵士", like "兵", is used in both singular and plural forms.

Comparing the above three words, we are left with "士卒" and "兵士" which can be used in both singular and plural forms.
Comparing these two words, "士卒" has a stronger image in the plural form and a weaker image in the singular form.
As a result, I thought that the singular = plural "兵士" was the best choice.

Also, explain the benefits.
Respectful expressions are cooler.
If you want to express an old era, you can choose an old word and use both singular ``hei'' and plural ``shiso'', but the translation becomes more complicated.

This is because it is necessary to express the difference between the upper and lower case letters of Troops = Troops and the four operations of singular and plural.
Well, think of at least 4 different translations.

As a result of this mistranslation, the following number of Ids must be verified.

Search string "Troops" (41 matches in 12 files, 74 files searched) (case sensitive)
Search string "troops" (410 matches in 17 files, 74 files searched) (case sensitive)
Search string "Troop" (61 matches in 17 files, 74 files searched) (case sensitive)
Search string "troop" (475 matches in 23 files, 74 files searched) (case sensitive)

Total = 987 lines

Back
Top Bottom