SP - Player, NPCs & Troops Mercenary notables in castles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Whie browsing the ideas in this forum, I came up with possible use of the castles, that would not harm current state of the game as much (I think).

Core idea
The castles, now useless, may become a way to reinforce your party, by having mercenary parties/sergeants/notables residing in them, just the way they exist in villages and cities. The difference would be that they are always of the culture of the kingdom that owns them, and change in case of a conquest. Reason being that different culture's garrison is now manning the castle, hence different mercs come to help them. This would also work well as highly requestes feature of the culture change, as the castles would provide element of such.
They may have their respective quest lines, again, as the normal notables do, but the difference would be in the soldiers you are able to recruit. They have high chance to be higher tier (T2-4), and may come in bigger quantities, as normal bands of mercs do, compared to village volunteers. To even out the pros of recruiting in castle, there could be a much higher price for them (recruitment cost), so that villages would still be in use. The rate of spawning those troops may be lower a bit, to reduce the pros.

Player exploitation
In presented case, player may overuse the mechanics by not joining any kingdom, and recruiting more and more high tier troops. To prevent this, there can be a restriction, of being able to recruit from castles only if you are in the same kingdom OR you are the owner. Latter case may present much needed higher value to owning the castles, compared to cities, but can create a gap between rich and poor clans. Either way, player would not be able to overuse the mechanics as much, with the ownership restrictions being better, obviously.

What with the notables after the conquest?
Here I have couple of ways to resolve this:
  • Traveling mercenary notables
As the change would require notables to change the place of their stay (castle being conquered), they would have to be able to change locations during the game. My proposition is that they would appear in other random castle of the culture, so that relationship gain would not be lost. This in the other hand creates issue of the action of what if their old castle gets reclaimed.
Other way to do this is for mercanary sergeants to always travel across the castles of the said kingdom, the issue being that it removes all the consistency of having a castle, and is impossible to implement good with
  • Hiding mercenary notables
Another option is for notables to be "active" only when the castle is ruled by said culture, so that every culture has its set of notables. This obviously makes the little sense in reality-wise, but keeps the progress of relationship intact during the war.
  • Notables changing upon a conquest
The most hardcore idea is for the notables to disappear when the castle is conquered, being replaced by the completely new ones once the castle comes back to the previous owner. That would motivate the player (or noble for the NPCs) to focus on defending their fiefs, as they can loose all the source of military support from the castle. Also, this would add to the realism, because after a siege previous mercenary leader is probably dead (died fighting) or went bankrupt, and after reconquest the new candidate appears in this position. Also, the most unconquerable castles would be the best place to recruit good soldiers, so the relationship built would help find some of them, and recruit them to your army.

Last edited:
As these merc-troops does not exist as T1 version(same with militia, general mercs, caravan guards, bandits and nobles btw), for them to be recruitable the normal way, something needs to be done first to enable this(Nobles are special already. It required both that you have influence and that the notable is powerful to show up, replacing T2+ normal recruits with noble counterpart).

Of above reason, I think most of these troops needs to be recruited via alternative ways, such as from taverns etc. There can be a recruiter in castles. Rather than beeing notables though, I think they could be reprecentants for the minor factions. The quantity could depend on the relation with the minor faction and quality of the recruites could depend on influence. so with bad indluence, all would be T2. It could be 3 on zero relation, 15 on 50 relation and 50 on 100 relation. +20% for owning the castle

As these merc-troops does not exist as T1 version(same with militia, general mercs, caravan guards, bandits and nobles btw), for them to be recruitable the normal way, something needs to be done first to enable this(Nobles are special already. It required both that you have influence and that the notable is powerful to show up, replacing T2+ normal recruits with noble counterpart).

I think I would be happy even with a more leisure approach:
1: allow recruitment of T1 recruits in the castles
2: upon conquering, villages and cities keep their original culture
3: upon conquering castles change to the conquerors culture (representing the followers of the conqueror)

Maybe mercenaries is too specific name, I was thinking more of a "packs of soldiers of concrete culture ready to be employed" thing, not those guys you find in taverns.

In my head it was just like notables are in villages, but with higher tier troops and they would disappear upon change of culture of ruling kingdom (or just upon conquest, to not give empires huge boost) available only to the owner, as usually warriors seek occasion to be employed by some rulers, hence they tend to be close to ruling ones.
Of above reason, I think most of these troops needs to be recruited via alternative ways, such as from taverns etc. There can be a recruiter in castles. Rather than beeing notables though, I think they could be reprecentants for the minor factions. The quantity could depend on the relation with the minor faction and quality of the recruites could depend on influence. so with bad indluence, all would be T2. It could be 3 on zero relation, 15 on 50 relation and 50 on 100 relation. +20% for owning the castle
I like this, but I guess there had to be a lot of those factions for this to function properly, not those several we have right now. From the other hand this could kill uniqueness of those troops, as there would be lots of them everywhere.

From the other hand this could kill uniqueness of those troops, as there would be lots of them everywhere.
Not if you scrap the "Notables" idea and give castles a recruiter NPC if the holder has a good relation with the minor faction in question. :smile: The recruiter is something like a "companion" to the minor faction, he can offer quests that directly boost relation with the minor faction clan.

Not if you scrap the "Notables" idea and give castles a recruiter NPC if the holder has a good relation with the minor faction in question. :smile: The recruiter is something like a "companion" to the minor faction, he can offer quests that directly boost relation with the minor faction clan.
I guess that would have been a fair solution.

If I ever fix my BL (shader problem) I will make mod implementing this, with probably alternative version being your idea. But for that I will PM you, if I will need consulting.

From the other hand I am into programming, and modding is almost all about it, so I will be more than happy to do it :grin: Just need working game and a little time.
I´m also a developer. Even .NET C#. With some startup guidance, I might be able to help there as well. Everything is more fun when you are a team.

Back
Top Bottom