Medieval Georgia?

Users who are viewing this thread

nijis said:
Great collection of images.

Note that no state in the medieval era is going to have a distinct national appearance. It's a game convention to have different visual styles for different "factions" but actual appearance seems to have been a lot more of a melting pot.

Everyone borrowed clothing styles and weapons from each other and from the great empires. So, 13th century Armenians are going to look like 13 century Georgians, Russians and Kipchaks might share a taste for sabres, lamellar, and facemask helmets, and even Byzantines are likely to sport a few turban or felt hat styles that they picked up from the Caliphate or from the steppe.

The pictures clearly bring that out, but I was just tossing that in.

you are wrong , Georgians, Russians  and Russians were neighbors  , but they have Different  cultures, Different  clothes
and they  don't looks like each other , Russian people are blonde and white, armenians ar  more dark skined people  then georgians ,  i can say then there are no likeness Between these 3 nations .

if you want to know  more about Georgia read this  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Georgia_(country)
if you want to make m&b mode about Georgia  make it about King David IV the Builder and Georgian Reconquista . it's about (1089-1185)
it's best era to make mode about georgia , couse there were many wars , and many  traitors in Georgia and David killes all of them , he beat Seljuq invaders  in Georgia while Seljuq  beat Europeans.

jacobhinds said:
The battles were in Eastern Anatolia and fought by an Anatolian dynasty. Either way I doubt anybody in Europe would have fared too well against the Seljuqs in their prime (which lasted about 10 years).
Out of interest, what was the prevalent ethnicity of Anatolians during the era? Greek?

Oh, and if talking about ethnicity as if it is something that exists and/or has existed in the history of mankind is racism, then please remove this post.

Before the Seljuks arrived, Anatolians were all greeks and "anatolians" (cappadocians, syrians, armenians, all the other ancient dudes who got culturally assimilated by the ottomans). After manzikert in 1071, Turcomans (people from beyond the oxus) slowly started migrating into Anatolia.

It took centuries though, and even when the Ottomans were around they hired Christian Anatolian administrators, soldiers and priests. Modern Turkish nationals probably aren't that "turkish" at all (my psuedo-guess is around 40-50%), at least not in the west of the country where turcomans rarely went except as soldiers.

Edit: I had a look around at several studies and they're all saying that the turkish heritage of modern Anatolians is something like 10%. Lel.

Indeed, Anatolia has been the host of many civilizations and it has one of the most diverse ethnic demography in the world. Hell, even some of the Celts had inhabited this place (Galatians) :razz: Turks are just one of many ethnic groups in the peninsula, but the Turkish culture is dominant because of the assimilation policy of the Seljuks and other Turkish Beyliks which had come after them.

Though the Orthodox soldiers and administrators of Ottoman Empire were of Balkanian origin, not Anatolian. By the time when Ottomans were the only power left in Anatolia there weren't many people whom called themselves Greek had left.

As I was reading along in some such things, I found mention of Medieval Georgia. To me, it looked pretty interesting mix of europe, russia, and the middle east, but to my disappointment, despite all my searching, it is very difficult to find much anything about this place. Since there are about two sixty-page books in my library about this, and google was not being of much service in bringing me websites with any information or in a language I could read, I'm now here and asking:
Anything about this kingdom? Books (Hopefully in English) or just links to other websites?

Oh, and to be clear, I'm not speaking of armenia, there's quite a bit on that. (Even though I've heard they're quite similar)
Hey, Im Georgian and I can help you with inormation you need

too-late-15years.gif

Back
Top Bottom