Mechwarrior Online

Users who are viewing this thread

Yeah, you chaps are positively ****ed.

Played with a friend who is living in Singapore and let us just say that the only viable tactic for him is to LRM boat, trying any sort of aiming is out of the question.

Lasers and missiles are mostly fine for hit detection, ballistics have god awful netcode for high ping. As long as you don't try to hit anything smaller or faster than an Atlas they're fine though. :razz:

49 kills, 2 deaths now. Both of which are from the game hard crashing  :mad:

Hope they implement 8v8s again soon, had some random guy screaming I stole his kill last night. Forgot we weren't playing a team game.

Kevlar said:
49 kills, 2 deaths now. Both of which are from the game hard crashing  :mad:

Hope they implement 8v8s again soon, had some random guy screaming I stole his kill last night. Forgot we weren't playing a team game.
I love it when like 5 guys shoot the bejeezus out of each other trying to kill one enemy Commando. Screw teamwork, I want my kill blow son - after all, kills is skills.

Playing a jenner with teamates makes baiting really easy  :lol:

Had my first loss last night too,  base got capped and I was only one to try and get to it..and I was at the enemy base when it happened.

They better hurry with some sort of meta game, and 8v8 organized groups, or it will fall into boredom fast, speaking for myself and many other veterans. Still a good game but lacking options at this point AND the 4 man group doesn't cut it.

4 man groups is the most mind numbing experience I have had with this game since starting to play it in beta. There is just so many awful players, there is no coordination and most of the time they are off playing the 'chase the jenner' minigame.

Yeah.

Would have been better if matchmaking was simply "fixed" or "balanced" earlier.

Though at the same time 8 organized players stomping pubbers was hardly ideal. Sure it was fun when you were the group, but for everyone else it was pretty damn boring. It was so bad our small band of eight random people split up into smaller groups because it felt like such a joke constantly destroying poor sods. Even playing with 3 other people now I find most rounds are a pub stomp.  :sad:

In essence, teamwork should be encouraged, but eight man premades defeating the "newbs" was hardly what I would call teamwork insomuch as stat padding. Though it might be different if games/severs were larger, an 8 man group dropped into a team of 16 or 32 would hardly be as fatal to the chance of the other team.  :lol:

I stumbled onto this game a couple of days back. Having quite a bit of fun with it; sort of reminds me of competitive Warband in some ways. Which makes me really wish I had a few people to play with.

So, does anyone here actually still play this?

I use to play with a good team until they started gradually ****ing up the game more and more until we all just stopped playing.

Might have to reinstall it sometime to see if it is in an acceptable state now.

Basically the last time I played though using a light mech was no longer as fun as it once was since everyone would play in a raven3l and spam missiles while using ecm. ECM has to have been nerfed by now or the game devs are just moronic since it was way to good.

Kevlar said:
I use to play with a good team until they started gradually ****ing up the game more and more until we all just stopped playing.

Might have to reinstall it sometime to see if it is in an acceptable state now.

Basically the last time I played though using a light mech was no longer as fun as it once was since everyone would play in a raven3l and spam missiles while using ecm. ECM has to have been nerfed by now or the game devs are just moronic since it was way to good.
Game balance is pretty much the best it's ever been at the moment.

ECM is pretty good now, BAP counteracts it <180m and it no longer makes your allies vanish from the radar. Still get the occasional Steiner Scout Lance of ECM Atlai ruining your day, but those are few and very far between. Depending on when you left PPCs disabling ECM when hit, ECM being assigned to a specific section of a mech and TAG/NARC revealing ECM targets hit might also be new to you. Overall it's in a pretty good place.

The 3L is no longer the king. Streaks aren't as strong as they used to be (they're pretty well balanced really) and the ECM+SSRM2 combo is now no longer an instant win in Light Vs. Light. Jenner is the top dog now, but isn't beyond taking down with even a Spider or 'Mando.

Though that's all old hat. The age of the Raven-3L was followed by the age of the HexaPPC Stalker (60 points of pinpoint damage, oh my!), especially after the introduction of the coolant flush module. And then by the age of Gauss + 2 ERPPC poptarts (first the Cataphracts, then the Highlanders) and then by the age of the DakkaJager (2xAC20, 6xAC2 with macro and 3xuAC5) . The poptart plague has been fixed now by the introduction of crosshair shake when jump jetting (it's still incredibly easy to poptart, you just need to have a little skill now, thankfully 'a little skill' seems to be more than most poptarters could handle) and the HexaPPC Stalkers by the introduction of 'Ghost Heat' (firing more than 'x' amount of a particular type of weapon within a 0.5 second window adds extra heat) and some damage per second of overheat when shutdown. The DakkaJager has mostly been killed by the introduction of Ghost Heat for the AC20 (two AC20 fired at once is crazy hot. Firing them .5 seconds apart means no ghost heat, but that's apparently too hard for most players) and the AC2 Ghost Heat bug (Less than .5 seconds between shots causes ghost heat. AC2 fire faster than .5 seconds per shot. Obvious issue was obvious). uAC5 Jager and the Double Gauss Jager are still Jagering, but less so than they once were. Oddly enough there's quite a few LBX10 Jager on the field now that they buffed it up, not something I was ever expecting to see.

Overall there's no current 'meta' for the first time since closed beta. People are actually taking a variety of different builds and nothing is completely rubbish (except for the Flamer, that's still useless and SRM under perform a fair bit). The Gauss + 2PPC builds are still pretty common, but common in the sense of 3 or 4 a match instead of 90% of all players, so that's not really that bad. Usually there's a good mix of Long range, LRM and short range. Though there's few medium mechs on the field lights, heavies and assualts are pretty even.

The only two big changes that have happened are the introduction of 12v12 (which is nice) and the 3rd person camera (which is surprisingly well balanced for PGI). 3rd person does allow you to peak around corners and over hills, but the big red blinking light on your camera drone means that at least your enemy knows you're there as well.

Just whatever you do, don't go on the forums. It's 100% rage since the release of 3rd person.

I thought they had a vote earlier and it was a resounding NO to third person.

That alone makes me not want to reinstall though. At least my jenner isn't complete **** by the sounds of it but after ecm was introduced the fun of playing a light mech dwindled into nothingness essentially.

Was completely boring playing in a 3l in competitive games when you knew the other person was basically going to be as good as you since there wasn't a whole lot of skill level between the 3ls compared to when it was just ravens (and morons playing other light mechs).

Timeline:
1. Piranha say that 3rd person won't ever be in the game
2. Piranha say that 3rd person will be in the game because new players can't figure out torso twist without seeing their legs
3. The forum gets up in arms
4. Piranha says that there will be a "hardcore" queue so that no one will have to play against 3rd person if they don't want to
5. Piranha releases third person and decides that seperating 3rd/1st isn't necessary as they made it balanced
6. The forum loses its ****

So regardless of how you feel about 3rd person (honestly I think it's pretty much fine, between the camera drone and the lack of radar on HUD and no arm movement when in third person I barely ever see it used over 1stP), you can't really deny that they couldn't PR their way out of a paper bag.

I was only really playing for so long waiting for clans mechs to come out, which I assume haven't and most likely won't for a while if ever.

They seemed to be releasing mechs and new content at such a slow rate you would be playing the same thing over and over again for a while.

It's picking up now. 24 player matches, 3rd Person and the improvements to hit detection are the only big features added recently, but they've created a lot of new content in regards to stompy robots. Granted most of those will be behind a pay wall for the coming months, but hey, at least they've been doing more content creation than it looked like they were.

Huh, I had no clue 3rd person was such a big thing. Sure, it feels kinda out of place, but I couldn't justify using it almost ever anyways, feels just sort of pointless.

Other than that, the talk about balance is way over my head currently, but I guess I at least picked the right mech. Went for JR7-D straight up with the logic that it, A) can fit a lot of guns and B) is really fast. :lol:

Good life choices. The Jenner is best in class for lights and the 7D is the best of the Jenners. What are you running on it?

Third person is a big deal because you can use it to see over obstacles/around corners without exposing yourself. Useful for poptarts especially (builds that combine jump jets with big burst damage weapon loadouts).

If you need any advice or hints let me know, there's a lot of hidden crap in the game that's really badly communicated (i.e. not communicated at all) which can be confusing as hell for new players.

Also, if you haven't been linked it yet, Smurfy is pretty much all the information that should be in the game, but isn't.
Smurfy.net

Things you should probably know:
  • The cadet bonus lasts for 25 matches, after that runs out expect to be earning around 80k a match. Budget accordingly.
  • Double heatsinks aren't optional. Every engine over the size of 250 comes with 10 'hidden' heatsinks inside it. Double heatsinks are worth 1.4 heatsinks outside the engine and 2.0 for the 'hidden' ones inside the engine. That's ten tonnes of free heatsinks right off the bat. It's exactly as poorly balanced as it sounds. Just add 1.5 million to the cost of anything you buy and get doubles right away.
  • Ferro-Fibrous and Endo-Steel do the exact same thing (trade slots for free tonnes), but Endo-Steel gives you more bang for your buck. Only ever get ferro AFTER you get Endo.
  • Be careful when buying engines, sometimes there will be two that weigh the same. For example the XL250 and XL255 weigh exactly the same. There's no reason to buy the XL250.
  • XL engines take up 3 slots in each side torso and if your side torsos get destroyed will cause you to die. They save you a tonne of weight and should almost always be used for light mechs, but rarely for assaults. Obviously this means a competitive light mech will cost a huge amount to build.
  • BAP cuts through ECM <180m. If you're using streaks and don't have ECM it's a must

Edit:
  • CASE is a trap, don't bother with it. Ammo only explodes 10% of the time when destroyed by critical hit or the section it's in is destroyed. It happens, very, very rarely.
  • Engines under 250 are a trap. You lose one 'hidden' heatsink for every 25 points, which means you need to add an extra one tonne heatsink AND lose its 2.0 rating for a 1.4 rating. Always aim for a 250 or higher.
  • NARC, Machine guns, Pulse Lasers and Small Lasers are pretty weak, you can still have fun with them but for various reasons they're not the best choices. Flamers don't do anything but make a pretty light show. Ditto for the command console.
  • You need three variants of the same mech with all basic skills unlocked to unlock elite skills. Completing Elite on those three mechs will double the effects of Basic skills, unlock master, and unlock master for all other mechs in that weight class (you still need to unlock Elite with three variants beforehand though).

I doubt the game will go under before the clans show up, may as well just hold on to it on the off chance the game gets fun for you again.

Back
Top Bottom