SP - Quests Marriage & Spies

Users who are viewing this thread

"What do you mean 'evidence'?! Evidence? He LOST the DUEL! There's all the evidence a TRUE Battainain would need! And now you spurn my marriage proposal? Being a strapping blond Battanian GODDESS isn't GOOD ENOUGH for your high and mightyness? Well, if law and order is so important to you, my lord, GO MARRY AN IMPERIAL WENCH YOU MILKSOP!"

or The Catch a Spy and the whole concept of marriage in this game are borked.

Catch a Spy is an excellent way to check out a city - but therein lies the problem. The place is huge - good job on that, the work clearly shows - and finding anyone who resembles your spy is time consuming. But, ok, its just like the early lord quest in Warband - find a dude who broke the law and skeedaddled, bring him in, he refuses, hack hack hack, Lord is happy with you, justice served.

No. You have to find evidence? This isn't clear, and is actively discouraged, because I spoke to a single townsperson who said "stop talking to all these people because we're wicked gossipy, and you'll scare your quarry away." All? Uh. Ok. I didnt speak to anyone else...buuuut...sure, I wont speak to anyone else. So now after scouring the town, I find a guy who seems to fit the Suspicious Character mold from previous games, murder him, and now everyone is mad? What?

So lets talk about marriage, or the fact that after five games, I've gotten married once, and never had children. In its current iteration, actual marriage is easier. I only had to go to a single game store to get my real-world wife, rather that scouring an entire continent, asking random questions that if you fail a single RNG roll doom you to Netflicks and Chill with your household of cats.

The problem is twofold - if you've made a psychotic murderess like I have with Fryjidd Fyord, the above scorned Battanian, you're going to invest heavily in things that help you murder. Talk is for merchants. Which is difficult, because I've tried making merchant characters, and couldnt figure out how to succeed without investing heavily in things that help you murder. So there's a Catch-22 built in from the start. Which I tried beating with Catch a Spy, in hopes of quicky upping my chances with Mr. LaDeDa I Need Evidence.

On top of that is the baby-factory factor. If you exceed 35 you're barren. Or your seeds wont sprout. Take your gender pick of euphemisms. But with leveling up your clan, completing the Main Quest, joining a faction, fighting wars, murdering random bands of poor people you've decided were 'looters' despite not having evidence, ahem, your window of marriage is maybe 2 years. Which means your window of childbirth is even slimmer after all the damned hoops you have to jump through. Seriously. I cannot see Frijidd wasting time with twenty questions. I'M A DAINTY BLOSSOM! MARRY ME AND WE'LL MAKE LOTS CHILDREN OR I'LL GUT YA AND LEAVE YOU OUT FOR THE CROWS!

I mean, its not .... quite... like how my wife got me, but it was pretty straight forward.

Marriage: forget the percentages and read the answers. If the person you want to marry is mercy, generous pick the answers more likely to please them. If valor, honor... pick the most suited.
Problem 1, sometimes there is no obvious choice. Problem 2, there is always the chance to have a critical success or failure. Solution 1: Save scumming.Solution 2: Be ready to remain single for the whole game

Spy: You need 3 clues, ask everyone until you get those, then look in quests screen for the clues and find the fitting character in one of the back alleys.

WARNING: your wife can die in childbirth, which may get on your nerves if you had to save scum to get her. Not sure if a female main character can die too. It would be interesting to survive countless battles only to die giving birth but such is the life of those brave ladies.

Marriage: forget the percentages and read the answers. If the person you want to marry is mercy, generous pick the answers more likely to please them. If valor, honor... pick the most suited.
Problem 1, sometimes there is no obvious choice. Problem 2, there is always the chance to have a critical success or failure. Solution 1: Save scumming.Solution 2: Be ready to remain single for the whole game

Spy: You need 3 clues, ask everyone until you get those, then look in quests screen for the clues and find the fitting character in one of the back alleys.

WARNING: your wife can die in childbirth, which may get on your nerves if you had to save scum to get her. Not sure if a female main character can die too. It would be interesting to survive countless battles only to die giving birth but such is the life of those brave ladies.

Yeah, I did eventually solve the quest, buuuut....I was unaware that the 'I'll try to improve myself' option under the marriage thing means you dont get another shot, so it was sort of a waste of time. I've given up. Again. As it stands, marriage is the single worst grind of the game - its just not in any way fun. I really, really hope they overhaul it.

Back
Top Bottom