Make a RPG with the warband's engine & codding source

Users who are viewing this thread

xenoargh said:
That's cool, but the shadows and the lighting angles aren't changing during most of that, and a bunch of odd things are happening at the transitions.

You aren't, perchance, just swapping skyboxes really fast, right? 

Because that would be pretty crazy, in terms of memory. 

The right way to get this done is with shaders, manipulating the core values for the sun vector, color, etc.

I was thinking of swapping skyboxes actually when I saw the fade-in / fade-out thingy. Or simply an animated texture? I saw something in openbrf about textures (I'll dig into it when I have the time).

Xeno, when you talk about shaders, you don't mean the openbrf shaders, right?

Verry interesting!

But i make this for my mod:
I thought to add a « sleep » action to skip through time. The player would need to use it since he would need to recover energy and keep stats to decrease due to tiredness. By clicking a bed it would open a menu in which the player would chose how long he wants to sleep.

I think it's better, a bed/ with an action window (scene_prop script) "use" > menu "How many hours of sleep do you need" 1: morning/2:afternoon...

And the time past when we are in the world map...

Somes RPG work like this  :roll:
Dragon age: origin (travel by the world map) scene 1 > world map to > scene 2.
And drakensang : scene 1 :night/ scene 2:morning...it's not a problem and what a goods games!

Actualy i just need in first time a Brf/textures base (in progress) based on the witcher 2 resources  :mrgreen:
And some help for futur scripts like:
- Write code allowing to loot a downed enemy, and pick up stuff he carries in his inventory. Further than that, it would allow the player to pick up objects and clutter on the ground, such as food, weapons, books...
-in the inventory, a menu aviable by right clic on every items:
-eat food
-Repair

It's verry easy for the quests/dialogues/scenes...i add 33 quests in my latest mod (dialogues/npc/quest/item quest/result scripts) it's verry funy and i want make a mod with only rpg ellements and a main quest .

And for the new shadders, i will make a real flora with normal_map shadder for the trees and plants (diffuse + normal map and Brf settings).
Beacause i do not have 200 or 300 npc by scene like on a battle, just 5/15 max, and i can make some huge scenes and shadders.

And finaly, i think the warband engine and resource has the best for make a game module !  :cool:
Bethesda construction set : Tiring  :lol:
Arma missions tools: Hmm no.
I dont know the cry engine...

And the warband's battle system as the better i think, the tools are perfects! Like OpenBrf.

Unfortunately I do not speak well enough English  :neutral:
I hope you anderstand.

xenoargh said:
That's cool, but the shadows and the lighting angles aren't changing during most of that, and a bunch of odd things are happening at the transitions.

The right way to get this done is with shaders, manipulating the core values for the sun vector, color, etc.

The skybox change needs actually 1h.

Gotha said:
xenoargh said:

I know 1.153 has rebuild_shadow_map operation, so shadow 's not a problem, but I still don't know how to set the time on the fly as scene_set_day_time  can be used on ti_before_mission_start triggers only.

dunde said:
Gotha said:
xenoargh said:

I know 1.153 has rebuild_shadow_map operation, so shadow 's not a problem, but I still don't know how to set the time on the fly as scene_set_day_time  can be used on ti_before_mission_start triggers only.

We don't use rebuild_shadow_map... We don't need it.

Gotha said:
Doesn't that mean that the shadows are fixed to the initial sun position? Just guessing, I don't see any shadows in that video.
I guess one could call rebuld_shadow_map every game hour (it causes the game to freeze for a while, so it can't be used continuously).

Well, I don't know if the operation do update the lightning if the sun position 's changed. I have no experience in MP moding, I even can't move the sun in SP. I only use the operation to update belfry platform's and cart's shadow when they move.

You do if people have shadows on.  It just won't look right otherwise.  I also get that it's taking place over an hour, but it's still requiring a bunch of texture swaps. 

That's going to eat a lot of memory; all those textures will stay in RAM.  It won't effect performance, but it will add to memory issues and in MP with constant spawning, it may lead to crashes for lower-end users.  It says nothing about performance when you're doing it without anything else happening and no Agents in the scene.

Anyhow, the best way to do this is via some shaders and implementation of a new sun system, but that's a Really Big Deal.  I may have to experiment with that at some point.

xenoargh said:
You do if people have shadows on.  It just won't look right otherwise.  I also get that it's taking place over an hour, but it's still requiring a bunch of texture swaps. 

That's going to eat a lot of memory; all those textures will stay in RAM.  It won't effect performance, but it will add to memory issues and in MP with constant spawning, it may lead to crashes for lower-end users.  It says nothing about performance when you're doing it without anything else happening and no Agents in the scene.

Anyhow, the best way to do this is via some shaders and implementation of a new sun system, but that's a Really Big Deal.  I may have to experiment with that at some point.
I will run warband the next 12h with the day/night circle. I will checkt the ram,cpu,fps etc.

Some awesome texturer could combine all the day-night cycle textures he needs for the skybox/skydome and then animate/rotate the texture on the skydome, thus not needing to swap skydomes. Also no need for shaders (I hope).

you'll also have to find out how the player will encounter other parties in the "outer map"
are bandits going to attack you instantly or you will be able to talk to them?

CTCCoco said:
I think now Lumos can say that it's not as easy as he thought.
We'll see about that.

People who know me in person say that I'm, at times, an incredibly stubborn individual. Besides, my first comment was a friendly remark, not a first-degree assault as you seem to have thought. Yes, it may not be piss easy, but that's the only word I'm inclined to take back.

We'll see. :wink:

Lumos said:
CTCCoco said:
We'll see about that.

People who know me in person say that I'm, at times, an incredibly stubborn individual. Besides, my first comment was a friendly remark, not a first-degree assault as you seem to have thought. Yes, it may not be piss easy, but that's the only word I'm inclined to take back.

"Easy" and "I can do that" is still different.
I knew it was a mistake to publish a video.. now everyone wants to do that too :roll:

-And somebody have any idea about the inventory and usable items  please ?

(a menu by a right click on a item in the inventory = eat/use and remove item...no problem for the result script but i shearch for the codding base).

-And for make usables items on all scenes (like the swords and shields in the battle map on the ground) ?

:neutral:

Gotha said:
I knew it was a mistake to publish a video.. now everyone wants to do that too :roll:

:lol:

Not for me, i just want make some "scripted beds" and the time past by a menu...and by the travel on the world map  :wink:
And good job with this  :smile:

SheriffTheRevenger said:
you'll also have to find out how the player will encounter other parties in the "outer map"
are bandits going to attack you instantly or you will be able to talk to them?

Nobody on the world map  :evil:
Just the player, like on Dragons Age 1
2DeWl.jpg

And the dialogues/ combats...in the scenes.

Gotha said:
Lumos said:
CTCCoco said:
We'll see about that.

"Easy" and "I can do that" is still different.

This is what I mean.

I think other people thought of the day/night cycle in scenes before, only no one really needed it as mods worked different than what you guys want to do (or people who needed it had poor coding skills - as myself). So I'm pretty sure you weren't the first ones to think of that, but the first ones to actually do it. And that is a lot.

Now don't get all cocky and say people want tot copy the day/night cycle, because every human being can "have" that idea from real life. What if the first guy who coded a 3d working door in a game would blame other people of copying his brilliant idea of porting a door from real life to a 3d engine  :shock:

@Fantasy Warrior: take a look at Piranha Byte's games too: the Gothic series, the Risen series...

@Dawiduh

I want make a game with gothic/the witcher 1/ dragon age/drakensang//elder scroll...ellements, beacause we dont have a stand alone for this games (or before 2014/2015)  :neutral:
No problem, i want make this with the warband engine,

I solved many problems now, and i make the "mod/game" slowly  :wink:

FantasyWarrior said:
-And somebody have any idea about the inventory and usable items  please ?

(a menu by a right click on a item in the inventory = eat/use and remove item...no problem for the result script but i shearch for the codding base).

-And for make usables items on all scenes (like the swords and shields in the battle map on the ground) ?

:neutral:

Back
Top Bottom