Major graphics lag/spikes

Users who are viewing this thread

@fomnus we are working on optimization as well as crash and bug fixes. However, given the broad range of systems, I cannot reliably say if or how much you will benefit from the first couple of optimization changes.

When can I approximately expect the game to be in a playable state (at least medium settings, 30 fps)? Currently my PC runs out of physical memory less than a minute after loading into the campaign map (if it even manages to). Windows 7 x64, i5-4570, 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz, GTX 1060 6GB. Windows and GPU drivers up to date. BIOS and chipset drivers are stock though (I have a fairly old z87 chipset mobo, Gigabyte Z87M-D3H). I also use Asus Xonar DGX with not up-to-date driver. But these shouldn't be messing with the game, it shouldn't be that older hardware drivers are critically dysfunctional in new games. I read the requirements tab in Steam and I didn't expect it to be that bad, I expected the game to be at least playable on minimal settings so that I could practice combat and learn base mechanics.

@fomnus we are working on optimization as well as crash and bug fixes. However, given the broad range of systems, I cannot reliably say if or how much you will benefit from the first couple of optimization changes.
thanks for the info, weirdly out of the people i know who have the game, all of us with nvidia cards seem to have issues, amd card users are fine, could just be a weird coincidence

@fomnus From what I can tell it seems like people with 8gb of RAM (me included) are having issues which is maybe why it's a persistent problem at all graphical quality levels. For many these issues which get worse over a session probably, due to some memory leak over time. So I'd recommend relaunching your game every now and again and see if that helps.

Some other things that really helped me was making sure other applications, especially those RAM hungry internet browsers, were closed in the task manager and especially turning down the quality of the sound from 256 to 128 in the ingame options. That last one made no difference to the sound quality that I could hear, but made a big improvement to the smoothness of the game. Give it a go if you haven't already

@fomnus From what I can tell it seems like people with 8gb of RAM (me included) are having issues which is maybe why it's a persistent problem at all graphical quality levels. For many these issues which get worse over a session probably, due to some memory leak over time. So I'd recommend relaunching your game every now and again and see if that helps.

Some other things that really helped me was making sure other applications, especially those RAM hungry internet browsers, were closed in the task manager and especially turning down the quality of the sound from 256 to 128 in the ingame options. That last one made no difference to the sound quality that I could hear, but made a big improvement to the smoothness of the game. Give it a go if you haven't already
Sorry for you bad experience. We are aware of the memory leak issue, we will be sending a fix as soon as possible. Meanwhile these are really nice suggestions. Thanks for you feedback. Hope you have fun.

Glad to see you guys are aware and looking into it. I just hope the required hardware to run the game doesn't end up changing lol

Interestingly when I run a custom battle with 200v200 the game runs like silk absolutely no lag, however as soon as I got into the campaign and go into battle which is like 8v8 massive lag

Interestingly when I run a custom battle with 200v200 the game runs like silk absolutely no lag, however as soon as I got into the campaign and go into battle which is like 8v8 massive lag
The overall memory usage is higher in the campaign because of the Campaign data etc. That may be the reason.

Glad to see you guys are aware and looking into it. I just hope the required hardware to run the game doesn't end up changing lol
That's one of our top priority. Some latest changes before the release have caused this issue and it will be fixed in short time.

@Murat Türe Maybe I'm a bit too courageous to ask for this, but it would be great if you could somehow optimize the low settings in a way that would allow laptop users to have a smoother experience. I, for instance, use a MX150 (mobile version of the GeForce 1030), coupled with an i5-8250U, 8Gb RAM 2400Mhz and a 500Gb SSD. I know that I should not expect too much from my system, as it was not built for gaming, but I wish I could play relatively smoothly on low settings.

In particular, I suspect that the campaign map is still not making full use of LODs for settlements. When you zoom far out, the FPS drops drastically. Some trees (not all) are demanding too. I have noticed that the trees used in battle maps are less demanding than those used in settlements.

Last edited:
In the siege i found out what causing the massive lag for 1-2 min. Its the AI attacking the main gate (after the siege weapon destroyed the 1st gate) in mellee. After the secod gate opened, was all good again. I guess the door stucture, or the particles makes this.

The overall memory usage is higher in the campaign because of the Campaign data etc. That may be the reason.

That's one of our top priority. Some latest changes before the release have caused this issue and it will be fixed in short time.
Great to hear!

@Murat Türe Maybe I'm a bit too courageous to ask for this, but it would be great if you could somehow optimize the low settings in a way that would allow laptop users to have a smoother experience. I, for instance, use a MX150 (mobile version of the GeForce 1030), coupled with an i5-8250U, 8Gb RAM 2400Mhz and a 500Gb SSD. I know that I should not expect too much from my system, as it was not built for gaming, but I wish I could play relatively smoothly on low settings.

In particular, I suspect that the campaign map is still not making full use of LODs for settlements. When you zoom far out, the FPS drops drastically. Some trees (not all) are demanding too. I have noticed that the trees used in battle maps are less demanding than those used in settlements.

Yes, we have been finding out some issues with the performance impact of the icons and terrain in the distance, hopefully they will be fixed in the future patches. Thanks for your feedback.

With development ongoing, we are hoping to improve stability and performance for all supported systems.

For the time being, though, could you share your chosen graphical options here? We (and the community) may be able to make some recommendations that way.

Im using a Navidai GTX 1060 6GB with 16GB of ram. I also have an intel I5 2.7GHz. As far as im aware, this is above the recommended specs on steam. CPU is happy, RAM is fine but my GPU is maxed out and overheating on the main menu, on the campaign map and in all scenes, It only gets a break during loading screens. This does not happen a few hours in, my GPU max's out as soon as i launch the game.

-I have tried low and high settings.
-I have set resolution to my native desktop resolution manually.
-I have tried turning shadows off,
-I have tinkered with the Navidia control panel, following online guides about how to optimise Bannerlord.
-I have tried running the game in window mode, full screen and borderless.
-I have re-installed my graphics drivers.
-I have all but given up.

I put aside money for this game which was difficult considering finances during this pandemic were in the middle of. Gamble on my part considering Bannerlords is is early access so that's my bad, but i could have maybe sunk those funds into something else to keep me going while i cant work. Never mind, hope this gets fixed soon. I would love to see some kind of mention about these issues in the known issues thread so that i know these problems have been officially recognised and efforts are being made to fix them at some point if possible.

Im using a Navidai GTX 1060 6GB with 16GB of ram. I also have an intel I5 2.7GHz. As far as im aware, this is above the recommended specs on steam. CPU is happy, RAM is fine but my GPU is maxed out and overheating on the main menu, on the campaign map and in all scenes, It only gets a break during loading screens. This does not happen a few hours in, my GPU max's out as soon as i launch the game.

-I have tried low and high settings.
-I have set resolution to my native desktop resolution manually.
-I have tried turning shadows off,
-I have tinkered with the Navidia control panel, following online guides about how to optimise Bannerlord.
-I have tried running the game in window mode, full screen and borderless.
-I have re-installed my graphics drivers.
-I have all but given up.

I put aside money for this game which was difficult considering finances during this pandemic were in the middle of. Gamble on my part considering Bannerlords is is early access so that's my bad, but i could have maybe sunk those funds into something else to keep me going while i cant work. Never mind, hope this gets fixed soon. I would love to see some kind of mention about these issues in the known issues thread so that i know these problems have been officially recognised and efforts are being made to fix them at some point if possible.

Can you try enabling Vsync or setting the frame limiter to your monitor refresh rate? It may be that your GPU is trying to put on too much frames.

Can you try enabling Vsync or setting the frame limiter to your monitor refresh rate? It may be that your GPU is trying to put on too much frames.
it dosnt fix the lag i have already tried it i can play on custom battle 250vs250 and i get almost no fps drop but in campaign no matter the size of the army i get fps drop

It is because of the memory leak issue. Normally, our estimates for "campaign" + "big fights from campaign" memory is within our memory budget.
Do we have an ETA on any sort of patch for this? im not asking for specifics are we gonna be waiting days/weeks/months etc

Back
Top Bottom