Main Campaign - Too Many Adversaries

Users who are viewing this thread

sfscriv

Recruit
TL;DR Warning

I have over 300 hours in the game and have progressed through the single player campaign numerous times. These campaigns were done with my character NOT becoming a mercenary or a vassal. Here are some of the details related to the gaming experience during four iterations:
1 - Surprise 10-year in-game restriction on creating a kingdom [no mods]
2 - Mods crashed the game numerous times and then crashed the computer
3 - Too many adversaries (Paying for peace) [no mods]
4 - Sandbox captured settlement (still playing this iteration) [no mods]

1 - 10 year Restriction
The first time playing Bannerlord, I initially was not interested in conducting any of the quests. Late in the play through, I decided to progress through the main "Dragon Banner" quest. I talked with the two Banner advisors (Pro-Empire & Anti-Empire), completed the two hideout missions, and seized a castle (captured a settlement). I was on my way to talk to one of the Banner advisors when the overall quest failure notice hit like a sledge hammer. I had to research what had just occurred. As of 19 APR 2020, you had from the regular Campaign start on Summer 1, 1084 until Summer 2, 1094 to complete the full Dragon Banner quest with establishing a Kingdom.

2 - Problems with Mods
I loaded the following mods on 19 APR 2020:
Just Let Me Play v1.3.1.230030
ModLib v1.0.2.230030
LootLord v1.1.0.230030

Persistent Lock v1.0.0.230030
Recruitable v1.0.2.230030
Righteous Executions v1.1.1.230030

Settlement Icons v1.2.0.230030
Shields Block on Back v1.0.0.230030
Sound The Alarm v1.0.7.230030

The game would crash when the campaign map would attempt to load. This occurred numerous times. When I narrowed the problem down to "Just Let Me Play," I untoggled that specific mod and the game functioned. I ran the game with the remaining eight mods for about a day when the configuration crashed my computer. I untoggled all the mods and started over. No issues before using mods and no issues after untoggling the mods. If someone were able to identify which mod crashed my computer, I may attempt using mods again. I understand there could be an issue with the sequencing of the mods for them to function properly.

3 - Too Many Adversaries
This is roller coaster of a ride of War and Peace, so brace yourself. I believe there is a problem with the "Istiana's Plan" and/or "Stop Conspiracy" initiating unprovoked declarations of war. It is possible the declarations of war are just extremely frequent. Most of the in-game dates displayed are approximate.

- I attacked Aserai for cash to fund my growing group of soldiers. Establishing a kingdom through the main 'Dragon Banner' quest created peace with Aseria.
- Unprovoked state of war with Khuzait [Summer 5, 1087]
- I initiated conflict with the Western Empire to support the main quest [Spring 6, 1088]

- Unprovoked state of war with Battania
- I paid approximately 70,000 denars for peace with Battania (no fighting occurred)
- I contributed to the destruction of the Western Empire

- I initiated conflict with the Southern Empire to support the main quest
- I paid 15,221 denars to reestablish the workshop in Battania (Post-War)
- I paid 11,304 denars for peace with the Khuzaits [Autumn 7, 1091]

- Unprovoked state of war with the Khuzaits [Autumn 13, 1092]
- I paid 155,210 denars for peace with the Khuzaits (seized Khuzait town before peace)

- Unprovoked state of war with Aseria (seized Aserian town & castle) [Winter 10, 1092]
- Unprovoked state of war with Battania [Spring 2, 1093]
- I paid 290,466 denars for peace with Battania (no fighting occurred)

- Unprovoked state of war with Sturgia (seized two Strugian towns & castle) [Spring 21, 1093]
- Unprovoked state of war with the Khuzaits [Summer 1, 1093]
- Unprovoked state of war with Battania (no fighting occurred) [Summer 8, 1093]

The last unprovoked Battanian declaration of war was the final nail in the coffin for that campaign. I was in a state of war with five different factions. I paid-off two factions twice and they both declared war a third time unprovoked. I did not have any Companion lead Caravans or patrolling Parties instigating conflict. From Autumn 1092 to Summer 1093 is when the crazy level of conflict was getting a bit much. The second and third declarations of war from the same two factions (six declarations of war) is ridiculous. Of the five final factions I was at war with, I only initiated one state of war. Once you pay a faction for peace, it should last the duration of the "Istiana's Plan" minor quest unless you start the a fight.

Why pay any faction for peace? It is a waste of money. I paid over 500,000 denars just to be at war with five factions when I desired to focus on one faction. The second payment to Battania broke the bank. I was at zero funds. I was wanting to fight the Southern Empire, had not paid off Aseria yet, and then three more factions declared war in quick succession.

4 - Sandbox Kingdom Creation (added with update e1.4.1 on 14 May 2020)
This campaign is still on-going. I have learned a lot during and since the first campaign.

I picked a fight with the Northern Empire. I seized the desired castle, successfully defended the castle as a fellow defender in the walls, and was in the process of defending a second time when I noticed a very large force had arrived to reinforce the adversary attack. As of Spring 11 1087, I requested a parley and my offer of paying 128,109 denars was accepted. Broke (no money), but at peace. As of Autumn 18 1087, peace has been maintained. This reinforces the belief that the previous campaign issue was with "Istiana's Plan" and/or "Stop Conspiracy" of the main quest with all the unprovoked declarations of war.

I am 105 renown from Clan Tier 4. Looking forward to seeing how the Sandbox Kingdom Creation option functions. Here is the description of the new feature:

"Implemented Sandbox Kingdom Creation, which is possible through the clan screen and not dependent on the main storyline. Players need to have at least 1 settlement and a tier 4 clan. Then players can select their kingdom's culture (consisting of their settlements' culture or their own clan's culture), select their initial policies (up to 4) and, finally, select the name for their new Kingdom."

Last edited:
Re declarations of war i'd like to see the AI be more plausible about it and fight first with their neighbours...but often Khuzait declares war on Vlandia (in my campaigns) with no geographical/political reason to do so.

Back
Top Bottom