m3:Sellsword Suggestion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

maw

Sergeant Knight at Arms
and here we can suggest where i can put it...

first, a brief explanation of the focus of m3:sellsword.

my direction is to elevate several small interconnecting storylines including but not limited to

# Iliana scheming her way to the top
# Zendar Rebellion
# Vaegir attempt to capture Zendar
# more dynamic trade and impacts
# seige, capture, and faction change of towns and castles
# directive NPC Serjeants, giving them units and an order ie hold the castle or patrol a town area
# a slew of company-level missions
# a boat-load of special, unusual missions
# overall background story of the Lance of Peace, Tchacotas, and why things are the way they are

but there are some good ideas out there i've implemented, like recruiting various parties on map, promoting common troops to npc status, and arming them, total rape of inventory if captured, and a rudimentary reputation system. its getting there.

so whip out yer keyboards, play a few hours, then come back with flaming fingers. i look foward to it all. maw

SUGGESTIONS under consideration:
# quantity of enemy parties and the weight of the armors

Great_Duke said:
Get a child board. 4 threads filling up space on the pioneers guild just seems...wrong.

i know. i didn't ask until after release... i suppose its pending...

i'd rather try to stay here rather than jump to mbx, and see how it goes. i usually go the mbx for most of the modding related stuff, and it seems to me (except for the popular copywrited-related mods) to be less cluttered.

i read a lot of the clutter here, for ideas and suggestions and just to laugh. so i'd like to have a childboard, we'll see what the big guys decide (who ever and how ever they're big). until then, we have three boards. and as cumbersome as it is, it didn't appear to violate any rules... maw

Your characters beginning stats, his 1handed profession is the highest, still the n00b used a polearm as weapon. You could add a more fitting weapon? Or just boost the polearm skill instead of the 1 handed skill at the beginning. Just for the logic. Why the f would somebody suse a spear when  he is more skilled in a sword?

N00bs

Servitor

Servitor said:
Your characters beginning stats, his 1handed profession is the highest, still the n00b used a polearm as weapon. You could add a more fitting weapon? Or just boost the polearm skill instead of the 1 handed skill at the beginning. Just for the logic. Why the f would somebody suse a spear when  he is more skilled in a sword?

N00bs

Servitor

not quite i understand your post... however, the skills are randomized at start... and since the basic gist is your character starts after a severe injury, it can be asumed there was some permenant damage to you that may impact certain skills and talents... concussions sometimes do that, y'know.

thats the best made-up off-the-cuff BS i can come up with ath the moment. maw

kurjajuur said:
I think that dialogues are a bit too modern.

good sirrah,

methinks thye wyrdes  speaketh for thyselfe... forsoothe, then: howe shayle thise humble servente pen thise pittance of a modde?

perchance, then, what era should we then call upon, and by what words and style shall we use, finding that many such times as we call upon throughout the history of man be reflected?

auche, und bye wot accente shull we use, mate?

i appreciate some might find it so, but it adds to the charm. although i'm still hazy on what the truly applicable historical date this mod might take place, and what location, i think 'medeival fictional' is the flavor.

or can we just.... ummm... nevermind. my brain and my fingers hurt from this already.

thanks for your input. maw

ps - i'd prolly talk in the local vernacular if i lived back in the day, but you can bet if i still had my attitude, i'd prolly be speaking much like my characters, except with more current phrases. there are only so many ways of saying "this servant shall kicketh thy buttox"

Maw said:
good sirrah,

methinks thye wyrdes  speaketh for thyselfe... forsoothe, then: howe shayle thise humble servente pen thise pittance of a modde?

perchance, then, what era should we then call upon, and by what words and style shall we use, finding that many such times as we call upon throughout the history of man be reflected?

auche, und bye wot accente shull we use, mate?
Good Sir,

I think your words speak for yourself. Indeed*, then; how shall this humble servant[maw] write[the dialogue] in this pitiful* mod.

What era should it[the dialogue] be set in, and what words and style shall we use? Considering the fact that in human history, many languages, accents and writing has been used.

and by what accent shall we use? (in different accents)

Forsooth:

Etymology: Middle English for soth, from Old English forsOth, from for + sOth sooth
: in truth : INDEED -- often used to imply contempt or doubt
- Webster's dictionary

Pittance:
Etymology: Middle English pitance, from Anglo-French, piety, pity, dole, portion, from Medieval Latin pietantia, from pietant-, pietans, present participle of pietari to be charitable, from Latin pietas piety -- more at PITY
: a small portion, amount, or allowance; also : a meager wage or remuneration

edit3: It seems as though Maw wanted to use this word as "Pity" or a "pitiful mod"

edit:
the Italics is an indirect translation as to what I think the sentence means.

I hope that clears things for some people. Yes, my translation sucks.

edit2: I think you should've used the semi-colon instead of the colon for the second line.

[trp_maw, "response_1", [], "Or I can respond to all dialog requests in this format to avoid confusion.", "response_2",
[(eq, "$modern_dialog_quest_taken", 0),
(start_quest, "qst_fix_dialog_for_kurjajuur "),
(assign, "$dialog_quest_taken", 1)]],

[trp_maw, "response_2", [], "Enjoy until then, maw.", "close_window", [(troop_raise_proficiency, "trp_maw" , modding , 100)]],

Depending on the look of the game you are going for, you could change the desert/road texture of the world map to a cobblestone road texture, to add to the feeling that the game is set more in medieval time.

The ingame texture would still be desert, or grass if you wanted.

Very simple modding, with renaming .dds files.

I agree that language is sometimes too modern. Were there really stoned guys in middle age who use word dude all the time :eek:?

make it easier to recriut troops, Im assuming you need reputation first, but I cant seem to get one no mater how many men I kill,
also, alll the lords are gone, so you cant join a faction?? a glitch or once again linked to your reputation?  :???:

icran said:
I agree that language is sometimes too modern. Were there really stoned guys in middle age who use word dude all the time :eek:?

How the dialog is now, is what makes me play the mod. Amongst other things in it.

Is it possible to scale the map with the map editor? If so, it would be better to scale it down to about 50% (and then, of course, changing that setting in module.ini that scales party movement on the map down to 50% too.)

As it stands, having to wait 3+ minutes every time I want to start a new game or load an old one.

i understand about the load times - unfortunately, thats what ienjoy about the mod is an expansive map.

if its a big concern, the source is on the repository - although i'd wait for a less buggy version - so someone could take the mod, create a quarter sized map, reduce the speed, and adjust the town,castle, and spawn locations, if they want.

i probably won't change the map much, but yeah, long load times - sometimes 5 min for me. a bunch of it is prolly less map and more .dds files, i think. i actually shrunk the dds file sizes down from 2k and 1k to 512, and the load time was greatly reduced.

this is something anyone can do with a dds editor - i use DxtBmp. simply open the file, send it to the graphics editor of your choice (i use paint shop pro) and reduce it 50%.

game resolution is more fuzzy on the meshes affected, but it will speed load times. luck, maw

I always do that, i even brought the face textures down to 256x256, ( the costumes need to be at least 512x512 or they look really ugly tough), it also increases overall performance.

edit: those with ****ty videocards (like me) can also save the textures as dxt1 for further size decrease (if you have a really old card you wont see difference between dxt1 and dxt5)

Hi all,

really interesting mod, this.

A few suggestions:

- make spears much faster and deadlier like BfS and 1066,

- make thrown weapons deadlier and introduce throwing darts,

- increase realism by removing the possibility to use 2-handed weapons from horseback if not done already. Have not met the really dangerous enemies yet, I`m on day 3.

- make perma-death optional. Perma-death and the long loading times make me VERY cautious...

- tweak bleeding to death after battle. I was knocked out by blunt weapon, entered second round with abt. 25% health and died after victory. Didn`t lose any health in round 2. Somewhat annoying...

I see a lot of potential in this mod, one of the best it is.

Regards, Oldtimer

Oldtimer said:
Hi all,

really interesting mod, this.

A few suggestions:

- make spears much faster and deadlier like BfS and 1066,
i have increased spear speed, but don't know how much more i should without making them uber weapons. a base spear speed/damage has stats relational to the min armor (1) and max armor (125) for damage... i'll look again, when i have a chance but the arguments put foward in the threads regarding increasing spear stats seem to make sense, as do stabbing effects overall.

- make thrown weapons deadlier and introduce throwing darts,
- increase realism by removing the possibility to use 2-handed weapons from horseback if not done already. Have not met the really dangerous enemies yet, I`m on day 3.

- make perma-death optional. Perma-death and the long loading times make me VERY cautious...

- tweak bleeding to death after battle. I was knocked out by blunt weapon, entered second round with abt. 25% health and died after victory. Didn`t lose any health in round 2. Somewhat annoying... actually, yesterday changed the script to eliminate it altogether; future versions should reflect 'death' at the point where the unit falls unconcious rather than at battles end... but it removes the party first_aid benefits, although surgery skill still impacts. problem now it, when a unit dies, it doesn't report well, simply indicating that a unit died in a brief battle text not a big pop-up, so in the heat of battle i'm not noting who is dying... anyhow, we'll see how it turns out.
I see a lot of potential in this mod, one of the best it is.

Regards, Oldtimer

and there you have it... along with some other improvements made off suggestions, i created and located a whole new slew of bugs and imperfections... the biggest one is factional recruiting and some of the new missions.... dunno if i can get them done before friday, but a lot of the minor distractions have been fixed... we'll see. maw

Back
Top Bottom