Lets be rich! (Check the first post)

Users who are viewing this thread

Dragomir said:
vikings didn't know them. Not to mention Norman gambesons from 12th Century :razz:

I bet somewhere, some Danes & Saxons were thinking "You know what? This maille armour really does rub my skin raw with just my tunics underneath. Plus when it is pressed into my body I can really feel the links dig against my bones despite my flesh and muscle being in the way! I should wear something under this, something padded...". Or maybe they just backed it with leather and sucked up the bruising like men. Because they were Vikings. Yarr!

You don't go into battle wearing your party clothes.

Helge said:
For example:

This is something like rich-look:

0d7195c20cca.jpg

cc74239453a8.jpg

I met this guy :lol: taught me about knife-fighting, and he is a great drinker

rapier17 said:
Dragomir said:
vikings didn't know them. Not to mention Norman gambesons from 12th Century :razz:

I bet somewhere, some Danes & Saxons were thinking "You know what? This maille armour really does rub my skin raw with just my tunics underneath. Plus when it is pressed into my body I can really feel the links dig against my bones despite my flesh and muscle being in the way! I should wear something under this, something padded...". Or maybe they just backed it with leather and sucked up the bruising like men. Because they were Vikings. Yarr!

That's three lines of unneeded sarcasm. I don't say they didn't wear any thick clothes under their mail. Vikings in the mod have typical Byzantine rhomb-shaped padding pattern, that was not found nor depicted anywhere in that period but in Byzantium (and later in Mongolia). The Norman striped gambesons and aketons was also a later, knightly invention designed for full maille.
Vikings and other factions from the mod in the presented time period would wear two or three woolen tunics instead making thick rhomb patterned linen jackets stuffed with felt.

It wasn't meant as sarcasm, more of a jokey type thing. I apologise if it read differently to how I had intended.

Still, I've worn two woollen tunics under maille and that was painful (and horrifically uncomfortable - the sweat being ground back into your skin by the metal links is horrible), but perhaps three would do the trip along with leather backing for the maille? Thing is I don't know that much about clothing of the period, so excuse my ignorance - I only have practical knowledge to go by from which I know that two tunics + maille = ouch!

Aklis said:
And exactly what function would this fill?
They don't look like stinking turds.

Helge said:
For example:
This is something like rich-look:
0d7195c20cca.jpg
cc74239453a8.jpg
I approve his outfit for Rus faction.

STARik said:
Yes, another thread for personal insults, lets flood this one as well, if you dont like earrings its not a reason to insult other people. And keep own promises here you something to think of yourself: Narrow minded humorless stupid git!
You're roleplaying pathetic old fool too much.

rapier17 said:
It wasn't meant as sarcasm, more of a jokey type thing. I apologise if it read differently to how I had intended.

Still, I've worn two woollen tunics under maille and that was painful (and horrifically uncomfortable - the sweat being ground back into your skin by the metal links is horrible), but perhaps three would do the trip along with leather backing for the maille? Thing is I don't know that much about clothing of the period, so excuse my ignorance - I only have practical knowledge to go by from which I know that two tunics + maille = ouch!

Hmm, I have worn a mail over two woolen and one linen tunic underneath, and it did the job very well :wink: The mail has to be loose though, that way it sways when being hit and scatters the energy of the strike. About the sweat - it was nothing worse than the thick padded cloth worn by most reenactors.

STARik said:
You are forgetting vikingr already has some rich and fancy things from your list, here are just some of them
fancy.jpg

Well yes. You are rigth. But the  thing is, that the "fancy things", you are showing, are regular.You paying for the armor ther. (I dont mean Russ-Heads)

the jewels may be nice, but I have dubt that someone will spend 500 points for a golden necklace.
the solution could be the proposal about "jewel depend on how many rich you are"

Avgvstvs said:
the jewels may be nice, but I have dubt that someone will spend 500 points for a golden necklace.
the solution could be the proposal about "jewel depend on how many rich you are"

Well there are many peoples playing only in Tunicks and thous guys are really great fighters. And also i have sometimes more then 1500 gold and i can not spend it because i dont wanna buy any armor.

I just use my immagination and immerse for this sort of stuff. Anyway, Ualraig isn't all that rich so doesn't bother me.

Torcs and stuff, well, not really worth it imo. It would just a gold blurr on your character.

Let me elaborate on my previous post. Helge, as I know you are someone who is keen on historical correctness, I have to point this out. AFAIK there are no sources or depictions of warriors going into battle wearing expensive rings and heavily embroidered tunics during the viking age, while there are sagas describing in detail that someone would wear their most fabulous garments to a feast, with all the gold and silver rings and such. The Celts would wear torcs and Scandinavion warriors could wear amulets with a certain significance of course, but usually not the same stuff you will also wear to feasts and weddings. There are of course a lot of rich stuff found, but saying that someone would wear that into battle when it's not in any way verified is 'fantasy' and it's not something I'd even be willing to assume.

I also have to admit I don't know about every archeological source found, so if you have one where you see a warrior in battle wearing finger rings, very rich and embroidered tunics and bracelets and amulets which have no clear significance to the fighting, please share it to prove me wrong. I will share this from the tapestry of Bayeux to prove my point:

Art+Blog+7.jpg

I really like some of the torcs, scabbards and belts you linked to however, and more adornment belonging to the culture of the factions we currently have would be awesome of course. Noblemen, leaders and rich men could wear their most expensive battle garments to show status, such as for example the helmets we already have in Vikingr, but that is still battle garment. Although even assuming they would wear their most expensive battle garments to the thick of an actual combat is still 'fantasy', considering for example the Sutton Hoo helmet (granted, a bit earlier than the viking age) and other expensive gear found, were not suited for battle. I personally think very rich men would have ceremonial gear to show off their status, but when in actual combat you would switch to your more practical and more expendable equipment.

Kwal said:
I also have to admit I don't know about every archeological source found, so if you have one where you see a warrior in battle wearing finger rings, very rich and embroidered tunics and bracelets and amulets which have no clear significance to the fighting, please share it to prove me wrong. I will share this from the tapestry of Bayeux to prove my point:

Well many jewelry things was found in the graves of warriors.

I know that Osprey is not the best source but they are also trying to show us warriors with jewelry (because of graves founds and some illustration of that times)

8a6f372331a9.jpg
b0a2721a2c2e.jpg
6bc33c2b0b3f.jpg

And the richest warriors of the 10th century were Varangians.Everything they have are talking to they enemys about the status of the besst warriors they are:

Decorated weapons:
394a698254fb.jpg
80f1d250ab95.jpg
08a40400e259.jpg
Decorated Schild and Fancy clows
d0db62696e7d.jpg
61d56acdd6ad.jpg

And yeh... on this pictures not everything is tru but still you can see that i'm not the only one and my idea for the mod is not just some fantsy thing:

ae3d1cf85feb.jpg
51f57154d20b.jpg
00b8116595aa.jpg

Varangians have nothing to do with this mod for now but i just trying to show you that it was a culture of thous time to show your status with the jewelry also on the battlefild. It was so in Velden Age, Medieval Ages and it was also so in Viking Age.

And it will work in the game also. Because of you se someone wehring fancy gloves for 1000 gold, you know that he can be a big problem for you.

wait a moment, maybe you have to keep in mind a thing: varangians guard were people from the north (russia) that were recruited from the Byzantine empire. what we know about them is from the bizantium culture, and them were near the richest emperor of the world of the time...
for sure there was something about jewels and so on, but I prefer to keep away the images from varangians, because them demonstrate to us only the situation of mercenary in a rich empire, not a real situation of a viking or a nordman in general.
moreover is a point of study the type of jewel art in the different populations, from the migrating people of the north to the sedentary as in the south of europe; then what we can see in a representation form the south europe could be misleading form the truth of our aim...north europe.
I know that you wrote in red about varangian, but I want to underline that point.

There is another thing that could be for jewelry. We have problems making factions distinct, and jewelry from different parts of the world could help identifying them. Especially religious symbols, that could have been worn into battle as an amulet providing help from gods (or god).

Avgvstvs said:
wait a moment, maybe you have to keep in mind a thing: varangians guard were people from the north (russia) that were recruited from the Byzantine empire.

funy))
Please read something more about varangians and which kind of folk they was on so on.
PS: Baltic sea - Folks, Skandinavian-Folks.

And again i jut trying to show you the culture of that time and the problem is that the varangians are only warriors who was painted well on the pictures of that time.

Try to read this for example...could be sufficient
A short History of Russia
Mary Platt Parmele

and then come back

and in conclusion, be quite pls, because for sure you are not alone with huge passion for history. I have 30 and is 15 years that I read history books.

Helge said:
Well many jewelry things was found in the graves of warriors.

And it will work in the game also. Because of you se someone wehring fancy gloves for 1000 gold, you know that he can be a big problem for you.

Spoons, bowls and other mundane items are also items of common occurrence in graves. We should not assume, therefore, that every Viking//Saxon warrior took his cutlery into battle.

Will it work in-game? Probably not... Rath0s & I threw around the idea of introducing jewellery items through the glove slot as an additional marker. For something so small and otherwise unnoticeable, it was not worth the effort. You may argue otherwise but, as per Poor_Smiley's post, you clearly did not notice any of the existing adornments on the armour we already have in-game.  Besides; why spend 1,000 silver on a small ring when it can purchase a mail vest?  :razz:

[@Avgvtvs; it seems that Helge is right in all and wrong in nothing. We must oblige!  :lol:]

Back
Top Bottom