Left/Right handed

Users who are viewing this thread

i understand that now maybe it is too late to change the left hand thing because of scripts and all that you would have to change it would be like making a whole new game..

but..

i think that in the future, for a m&b II or a late patch it would be possible (tell me if not)

about the realism issue,

it is true that actually no one was training his left in medieval times because it was evil but why not use it even if it is only for exemple 97% of the total spawned units and that way players would be able to choose..

more importantly (i already told the same thing in the double wield topic but my argument is also valid here) : at least for mod'ers it would allow them to integrate such things as double wield, left hand wielding or shield bashing in their mods, giving the game an even longer life expectancy..

for the shield issue..

well basicly some shields could have the mention: cannot be used by left handers, this would not be fair for lefters but hey nobody said it is going to be easy to be left hander in the medieval times..!!

1.  Your heart is centred in your chest, not on the left side.

2.  ... I just can't go on.  That post was far too... far too... just "far too" for me to mock it.

"Just want to throw something out there"
"left handedness was usually trained out"
"it would require more work for the devs"
Nothing else in that post is remotely correct.

Eogan said:

*Feels his heart beating on the left side of his chest*  Huh... your heart is really dead center?  Maybe you should see a doctor about that...

Rannen said:
Eogan said:

*Feels his heart beating on the left side of his chest*  Huh... your heart is really dead center?  Maybe you should see a doctor about that...

That's because the left side of your heart pumps more powerfully as it has to push blood around your whole body, whereas the right side only pumps blood to the lungs and so is weaker.

The heart isn't dead centre, but it's not far to the left, either.  It's slightly to the left.  And as for there being fewer people who are left-handed because they all got shot in the heart, that's nonsense because being stabbed in the lung would have been every bit as fatal, and you have a lung on your right side as well.

Rannen said:
Eogan said:

The right side of the heart is in the centre of the chest beneath the breast bone/sternum. You feel the pumping on the left because the high pressure more thickly muscled aorta is on that side pushing freshly oxygenated blood from the heart to the rest of the body. So, no not dead-centre, but not all to the left as some people think (not claiming you do).

location2.gif

As to why left-handedness isn't modelled in M&B, it is probably just such a low priority issue for the devs, and would add little to the gameplay. As a 'leftie' I personally don't think that it's that important to have it modelled in-game, although it might be useful if the elements that 'force' it in-game were moved out of hard-coding and made moddable, allowing modders to bring us left-handed animations, dual-wield, left-hand aware AI, etc.

sinisteragent said:
And as for there being fewer people who are left-handed because they all got shot in the heart, that's nonsense because being stabbed in the lung would have been every bit as fatal, and you have a lung on your right side as well.
LOL your post beat me to the heart issue.

As to handedness, the predominant theory is that it's due to the division of labour within the brain (also left-handedness is on the increase in the Western world and is linked to education making us generally more creative).

The predominance of right hand usage has been around since before the Bronze age as shown in cave paintings, and does not appear to be due to selective evolution. The warrior/shield theory is largely contradicted by this and that a spear to the chest is likely to kill you on the left or right of the chest cavity.

Latin-derived languages do have the connotation that 'right is good, left is bad', French and English have the most obvious examples, but even the Romans didn't force warriors to be right-handed. This most likely arose from the fact that 'dominant' left-handers are only a small percentage of the population (estimated as low as 8%) and 'different' usually ends up persecuted by the norm, plus left-handers tend to form a higher proportion of 'free thinkers' as well as mentally ill people (they do say genius is just directed madness  :wink:).

In later generations, even up to the time that I was in primary school in the 70s, pupils were 'coerced' into using the right-hand to write with as in most left-right written languages this means the hand does not smudge the ink as you write, being generally to the right and down of the line.

There endeth the lesson :smile:

And thus, all those who backeth the theory on the natural selection determining handedness are totally owned.  Figures there'd be at least one person on the forum who wrote his thesis on handedness in homo-sapiens...

I want to be left handed in the game. But only because I'm left handed, and it's still not particularly important. I'd like to see some better animations before minor things like this are implemented.

Rannen said:
And thus, all those who backeth the theory on the natural selection determining handedness are totally owned.  Figures there'd be at least one person on the forum who wrote his thesis on handedness in homo-sapiens...

Does that mean I get to post this ?
pwned.gif

Not a thesis/dissertation, I just did some research on this when working on my own semi-historical fantasy RPG rules a while back. I have tons of useless information like this on my HD.

Remember, only left-handers are in their right mind  :razz:

Grumpf...

I must reply to some false ideas in this topic.

The "side discrimination" appeared in Western Europe in the middle of the XVIth century, when Jesuits took more power and imposed their ideas. During the Middle Ages, left handlers weren't "corrected". And they were proud of it. A lot of medieval documents were written by left handlers, and they oftenly wrote "this document was entirely written with left hand" at the end. Some "Virgin with Child Jesus" statues represents the Virgin holding her child with her right arm, supposing that she's left handed...

People who fights with a sword or a saber in his left hand is disturbing, because his opponent have to reverse his blockings and attacks (I practice it :grin:). Most of nowadays fencing champions are left handed...

If you are right handler, just try to write or to fight with your left hand... :mrgreen:

André de Cuyne said:
Grumpf...

I must reply to some false ideas in this topic.

The "side discrimination" appeared in Western Europe in the middle of the XVIth century, when Jesuits took more power and imposed their ideas. During the Middle Ages, left handlers weren't "corrected". And they were proud of it. A lot of medieval documents were written by left handlers, and they oftenly wrote "this document was entirely written with left hand" at the end. Some "Virgin with Child Jesus" statues represents the Virgin holding her child with her right arm, supposing that she's left handed...

People who fights with a sword or a saber in his left hand is disturbing, because his opponent have to reverse his blockings and attacks (I practice it :grin:). Most of nowadays fencing champions are left handed...

If you are right handler, just try to write or to fight with your left hand... :mrgreen:

thank you i swear i made that point about a year ago lol if there is a left hander in the ranks then the blocking has to b reversed because its sword vs sword and shield vs shield instead of shield vs swords shield vs sword

l0ughn3y

the idea of implementing a right and lefthanded difference is okay, since it doesnt change too much:smile:

its more of cosmetic and comfort. since mounted archery is always the same from left or right... hold the reticule a bit more to the direction you move from the target... but well its a good idea to respect the individuality

hmm... well thats something i forgot to mention, it would be nice to be skilled with both hands aswell... should occurr on creation by a special roll or something.

but dual wielding is, as mentioned in the other dual wield topics, not easy to implement since there is very few footage about medieval dual wielding.
one style was dual daggers and thats beside sabre/dagger the only style i know of used in medieval times.
still the executing fighters didnt wear heavier than padded clothes to perform the fast cuts and thrusts, mostly leaving both opponents heavily wounded

back that days a shield was your life insurance, along with a good armor

Ha yeah, even tho dual wielding is not used much, i think it is realistic, i mean, cant you visualize using two swords in MandB! I can, i can see me swinging with one or blocking wiht the other. It would be a deadly combo! Although tough. But yeah, a shield was everythin you got against arrows......... :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom