Just thought I'd share this

Users who are viewing this thread

LOL!
Nice, urhh.... er.... lizard.
My favourite one would be a water dragon, cause they can swim.
My parents think teh best lizard is a dead one though.... :sad:

guspav said:
nice! so you're a reptile fanatic or just a saurian fanatic?

More along the lines of Precambrian-Late Cretaceous type stuff...

Tegus are pretty smart most of the time, when I still had her in a Cage, with a Kite Shield, Duct Tape and my 55 pound anvil holding the lid down, she STILL figured out how to escape.
You gotta watch your fingers when shes hungry though, shes mildly venomous...

Partly, the other part of it is that most predatory lizards carry a venom that causes alot of swelling and tenderness at the bite. Lizards have venom, but they do not have the apparatus, such as fangs, to inject it. Instead, venom compounds are found in the saliva. If you've ever been bitten, that 'chewing' thing they do when they grab ahold, well, now ya know why.

I believe you're mainly thinking of the komodo dragon there, thesneakster.

So did your tegu actually crawl into the oven mitt on it's own for warmth or something? Looks rather amusing. :smile:

Yeah, she goes in there on her own, and starts fighting and rolling around with it and then falls asleep like that. Thats how she sleeps EVERY night, I mean, she's got a box she can go sleep in. Doesn't matter where I've put the mit, she goes and finds it.

That lizard inside mitten is kinda cute :smile: How about other reptiles? Could there be a way to capture lizards by setting up mittens in nature and then wait them to get in them?

RR_Raptor65 said:
Partly, the other part of it is that most predatory lizards carry a venom that causes alot of swelling and tenderness at the bite. Lizards have venom, but they do not have the apparatus, such as fangs, to inject it. Instead, venom compounds are found in the saliva. If you've ever been bitten, that 'chewing' thing they do when they grab ahold, well, now ya know why.
yeah that's all true however the only lizard whose venom can be dangerous is the gila monster and then again you have to be a total ass to let such a slow creature bite you and then chew :wink:
so since you're refering to your tegu as "her" I guess you already had her probed?

hmm actually it has more to do with heat.. the hotter the weather the faster they can move and no, gila monsters are veeeery slow even in their natural habitat (northern mexico and southern US) where temperatures can reach 50°C now if you're talking about varans, now those are fast (when warm or hot) and will likely bite you or kick you with their razor sharp claws, but they aren't venomous (or at least not dangerously venomous)

guspav said:
hmm actually it has more to do with heat.

Exactly. If they can't find a good way to regulate their body temperature and get stuck in the heat or cold, they'll have to just laze around in order to avoid frying or freezing to death, respectively. That's the way I've always understood it, anyway. And if gila monsters are incapable of moving swiftly when necessary, how do they manage to catch anything and avoid being killed?

okiN said:
guspav said:
hmm actually it has more to do with heat.

Exactly. To avoid overheating, they seek to control their body temperatures in various ways. If they can't find a good way to do that and get stuck in the heat/cold, they'll have to just laze around in order to avoid frying/freezing to death. That's the way I've always understood it, anyway. And if gila monsters are incapable of moving swiftly when necessary, how do they manage to catch anything/avoid being killed?
they don't usually hunt (chase prey), they eat mostly eggs (both of other repriles and birds) and rats/mice newborns and they avoid beng hunted by other animals simply because they have those distinctive colors on their skins= red/yellow-black which means to all other animals: "caution: venomous, do not approach/try to eat"

guspav said:
so since you're refering to your tegu as "her" I guess you already had her probed?
When I first got her, but thats backed up by the fact she doesn't have the massive jowels that the males do. And thats she doesn't make a big issue when people go near her basking box.

But yeah, once shes warmed up, she can easily outrun me for a short distance, and she walks more like a Crocodile than the typical 'lizard walk'.

EDIT:
Gory picture for you all! Its not the worst bite shes given me, but its the bloodiest...

Back
Top Bottom