Just an 'advanced' chemistry question that I was always wondering about

Users who are viewing this thread

Zaakjes

Squire
I have noticed that there are some smart people around here so I thought it would be at least worth a try to ask this here, instead of making a new account somewhere else..

I've been wondering one thing for a long time..

Can you store oxygen in a liquid or solid substance to release it in gas form later?

Im no expert of chemistry, but im pretty sure the O in h2O stands for oxygen. So storing it in a liquid substance is a yes. Oh and since there is ice, i guess solid as well.

Zaakjes said:
I've been wondering one thing for a long time..

Can you store oxygen in a liquid or solid substance to release it in gas form later?

If you mean storing pure, elemental oxygen as a liquid or solid, then yes.

Liquid_Oxygen.gif

It's merely a matter of cooling it further once it's in liquid form in order for it to freeze. Raising its temperature after the fact would melt the solid oxygen, and further heating would boil it, turning it into gas. If you're curious, elemental oxygen transitions from gas to liquid at approximately -183o C, or 90 Kelvin.

It wouldn't hurt to look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen :wink:

Hehe, I was thinking a bit too deep I guess. I was thinking about organic substances and so.. About reducing the volume of a certain amount of oxygen and so, if you could bind it together. And then, like in a spaceship, releasing a certain amount of oxygen over time.

All elements - and I mean ALL - can and will exist in all three states of solid, liquid and gaseous given the right temperature and pressure. Liquid oxygen exists as much as gaseous iron, albeit at vastly different temperatures. :wink:

Ambalon said:
Hey, it wasn't me (I?) who suggested bringing oxygen onboard and releasing it slowly.  :razz:

No, you suggested compressing it in cans.

Assuming it would stay in a closed system, wouldn't it be easier to have it circulate?
Maybe shove some plants in it. Or/And a few CO2 scrubbers, assuming that's what he's concerned about.

Some forumites exist as solids, liquids, and gases, too. Take rgoofy - dense as a rock, slippery like water, and full of hot air. Of course, now he's been phaseshifted into plasma by the banhammer.

Back
Top Bottom