Is with Fire And Sword worth buying?

Users who are viewing this thread

Harld V

Recruit
People are saying that napoleonic wars is dead and viking conquest is good, but what about Fire and Sword?

NW isn't dead. WFAS is still too buggy for me to recommend, and it doesn't have much of a modding scene either. Unless you really, really like the Deluge or the novels, I would recommend something else.

Harld V said:
People are saying that napoleonic wars is dead and viking conquest is good, but what about Fire and Sword?

For me it works all right and is worth playing. It's different from Warband: It lacks some features e.g. Arena/Tournments, while have some new ones as well, especially related to money through the gain of interest on deposits. Still on the subject, the trading system, while a little less dynamic, is quite decent too.

Although it lacks some mods as stated above, for me the only modification that seems a must is Battle Continuation (since you are knocked out a lot by firearms in 1 hit even with a good equipment), which is already achievable through TweakMB.

You cannot create your own Kingdom with lords/vassals without following one of the main storyline quests (which the wiki claims to be buggy), but you can still create your own "commoners revolution" without Lords, which is something that I'm trying to achieve in my current game.

WFaS is a failure, no update, no support, main story bit boring, lack of operations to develop mods
WFaS only has one advantage is that WFaS can develop original Eastern European style mod like Soviet-German War.(because of its world map)

DoDoCat said:
WFaS is a failure, no update, no support, main story bit boring, lack of operations to develop mods
WFaS only has one advantage is that WFaS can develop original Eastern European style mod like Soviet-German War.(because of its world map)

Nothing limits WFaS mods to its native map. The story quests can all be disabled & Warband has only added a limited number of new operations since WFaS, mainly for features required by NW & VC. The fact that WFaS code is static frees any WFaS mod from the chore of maintaining compatibility with technical updates. The developers main error was giving primacy to the CSV translation files to cover up the mixture of russian & english dialogues in its source code rather than maintaining a single language source code. While that can be easily fixed, it acts as a barrier, which discourages novice modders.

Of course its worth buying. Its great, albeit the SP's campaign is buggy and the multiplayer hasn't had as much support as it could have over the years. Its a little sad given how great all of it actually is.

Its Mount & ****** Blade people, of course its worth buying.

Don't take what DoDoCat says very seriously. The stories in Wfas are excellently woven into the sandbox and are very engrossing if you know and appreciate a bit of the period's history. They are just unfortunately plagued with some story-breaking bugs that could make you stuck so its best to follow a guide (albeit without spoiling too much for yourself)

YourStepDad said:
Of course its worth buying. Its great, albeit the SP's campaign is buggy and the multiplayer hasn't had as much support as it could have over the years. Its a little sad given how great all of it actually is.

Its Mount & ****** Blade people, of course its worth buying.

Don't take what DoDoCat says very seriously. The stories in Wfas are excellently woven into the sandbox and are very engrossing if you know and appreciate a bit of the period's history. They are just unfortunately plagued with some story-breaking bugs that could make you stuck so its best to follow a guide (albeit without spoiling too much for yourself)
WFaS is already dead, okay? No new mod, Few players. Even Viking Conquest is better than WFaS

You can buy it if you want to play Captain Co-op mode(there is a server called "Dynamic_Squad_2_8" is really nice), if you want to play Main Story Line, I suggest that you save your money and wait for Bannerlord.

You had better buy a Mount&Blade Collection on steam, and the dicount of the colletion on steam is really nice.

WFaS is by no means dead.

Even thought the devs and mods left it to rot, the multiplayer community is still somewhat active, there are leagues as well as tournaments with matches going on every week and there are dozens of active servers, some of which have over 40 players at a constant rate.

And the singleplayer story experience is much better than that of Warband's, because there are 3 quest lines you can take.

I say that as someone who plays WFaS on a daily basis since it release and someone who has contributed a ton of work to this forgotten and dying game.

Marth The Gryphonhearted said:
WFaS is by no means dead.

Even thought the devs and mods left it to rot, the multiplayer community is still somewhat active, there are leagues as well as tournaments with matches going on every week and there are dozens of active servers, some of which have over 40 players at a constant rate.

And the singleplayer story experience is much better than that of Warband's, because there are 3 quest lines you can take.

I say that as someone who plays WFaS on a daily basis since it release and someone who has contributed a ton of work to this forgotten and dying game.
I totally agree with Marth. I organized a league and few tournaments and Marth hostes siege events every year during Christmas. There are still players playing it actively  (myself ex.) So for me It's totally worth to be bought

Let's see:
- trading is actually worthwhile, and also pretty fun;
- recruiting system is pretty forgiving, meaning you can throw yourself into tougher battles;
- firearms are not everyone's cup of tea, I get it. still, they spice the battles up quite nicely;
- Winged Hussars. Enough said;

All this if, of course, IMO but my answer is a resounding "hell yes!"

On the bad side, renown gain ratio is bunk. I saw off a 260-something strong siege with 160 troops and all I got is 4 renown? Really? Get out.

Still, this means you have to fight more so I guess it's not too bad.  :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom