Is Transferring Items etc from Mod to Mod Included in Copyright?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dapper

Recruit
Some have asked how to transfer mods to mods, etc. I want to do it too, but I'm not sure if it's legal. I will be glad if you help.

Solution
Ultimately, anything produced by a creator cannot be distributed in a work other than the original context it was intended for until that creator gives permission otherwise.

This applies to all creative/intellectual property be it code, textures, models, or even text and dialog.

While we are an international community so it is difficult to say any specific nation's law applies broadly here, the community respects and applies these rules itself.

If the creator has not released their work for general use, typically via the LSP/OSP "license" our community uses, you will have to ask them for their permission to pack it into a new work and distribute it.

If your mod is dependent on a specific creation, you may want to release your mod...
Ultimately, anything produced by a creator cannot be distributed in a work other than the original context it was intended for until that creator gives permission otherwise.

This applies to all creative/intellectual property be it code, textures, models, or even text and dialog.

While we are an international community so it is difficult to say any specific nation's law applies broadly here, the community respects and applies these rules itself.

If the creator has not released their work for general use, typically via the LSP/OSP "license" our community uses, you will have to ask them for their permission to pack it into a new work and distribute it.

If your mod is dependent on a specific creation, you may want to release your mod as a sub-mod. That is, distribute your work (without the infringing content included) and install it over the mod you are dependent upon.

Upvote 0
Solution

If your mod is dependent on a specific creation, you may want to release your mod as a sub-mod. That is, distribute your work (without the infringing content included) and install it over the mod you are dependent upon.
Thanks.

Upvote 0

So, is there a problem even if we change what we quote a little and specify where and from whom we quoted in the about section?

Upvote 0
So, is there a problem even if we change what we quote a little and specify where and from whom we quoted in the about section?
Without usage rights being explicitly granted by the author, it is a grey area.

In the US, you have to have considerably transformed the work in order for the above argument to be acceptable. And what is considered transformative can vary from individual to individual.

Upvote 0
Without usage rights being explicitly granted by the author, it is a grey area.

In the US, you have to have considerably transformed the work in order for the above argument to be acceptable. And what is considered transformative can vary from individual to individual.
Thanks, I'll look into this for the country I live in as well.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't worry so much about the legality of the situation, and would focus more about falling within the community rules and guidelines, written or otherwise.

Taking from another modder without permission is likely legally grey since the rights to a lot of the content we create is already ambiguous as fan creation often is, but it would likely be taken down by moderation since it would be harmful to the community to allow community members to take from each other.

You should just reach out to the original author, lol. Most old timers are cool.

Upvote 0

What I understand from this is, is it okay if we make a submod of a mod and declare it as a submod when publishing it?

Upvote 0
What I understand from this is, is it okay if we make a submod of a mod and declare it as a submod when publishing it?
Yeah, just make sure to only include the changed files as well, so they need to original already installed and they just place your mod on top.

That way you aren't distributing any of the possible infringing material yourself, like how you see rifftrax only distribute their commentary tracks that you play alongside the films.

Steam Workshop allows you to tag another mod as a prerequisite necessary for your mod to function. I'm sure Nexus has a similar setup.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom