Is there a random element in combat damage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rabenstein

Recruit
I'm not an expert in this game, but I've played it for quite a bit and became effcient. Yet, there are things I don't understand.

Say you have the opportunity to attack an archer from behind, he doesn't know you are there. You are wielding a high tier 2h weapon, for example the great long axe. You chamber your overhead swing for 1-2 seconds and hit him from behind, aiming high. Sometimes he survives - why? I can't see how this is possible since people keep one-hitting me while wearing heavy armor (say +40 head/torso) with side swings from 2h weapons or hack down 2/3 of my health bar with a 1h swing.

I realize there are many factors in damage, like hitboxes, speed bonus, "sweet spot", damage types and so on, but this can't be explained by it.

So, are there additional random elements in combat, for example is the base damage of a hit not 45s, but 30-60s?

Well... thanks.

In a wider context:
1. do shields on the back add to armor against swings from behind?
2. whats the damage modifier for hitting legs? is it worth it in melee?

shield on back does nothing in multiplayer. In singleplayer it can block arrows.

In multiplayer infantry tend to not buy leg armor, as body armor adds some leg protection, and you are unlikely to be hit in the leg to justify the cost. So often hitting an enemy in the legs can do more damage than hitting them in the body. Legs, Body, head all have seperated armor stats.

Remember you damage the body part that your weapon hits FIRST, so if you swing across and clip his shoulder before going through his head, you got a body hit.

There's remarkably little random damage in the game as far as I can tell. Just remember that speed bonus plays a huge role in the damage you deal, I assume you know how speed bonus works? In a duel, some times you can steb into the weapon swing of your enemy, causing it to glance off and follow it up with your own.

I think the damage modifier for legs is the same as body, I'm not sure though. But generally you want to go for the body hits, as lowering your aim to your enemy's feet will also lower the range at which you can hit. And range is power!

Rabenstein said:
I'm not an expert in this game, but I've played it for quite a bit and became effcient. Yet, there are things I don't understand.

Say you have the opportunity to attack an archer from behind, he doesn't know you are there. You are wielding a high tier 2h weapon, for example the great long axe. You chamber your overhead swing for 1-2 seconds and hit him from behind, aiming high. Sometimes he survives - why? I can't see how this is possible since people keep one-hitting me while wearing heavy armor (say +40 head/torso) with side swings from 2h weapons or hack down 2/3 of my health bar with a 1h swing.

I realize there are many factors in damage, like hitboxes, speed bonus, "sweet spot", damage types and so on, but this can't be explained by it.

So, are there additional random elements in combat, for example is the base damage of a hit not 45s, but 30-60s?

There is a little random damage afaik, a little meaning about +-3 points (which can make the difference between one hit and two hits). Also I think hitting arms does less damage at least with ranged but I don't know where arm starts in comparison to body or head.

Draygo said:
shield on back does nothing in multiplayer. In singleplayer it can block arrows.
Nope, shield on back no longer blocks arrows but it still reduces the damage to your back. 25% reduction if I remember correctly. The run speed decrease makes that not worth it in almost all cases though.

IG_M said:
Draygo said:
Nope, shield on back no longer blocks arrows but it still reduces the damage to your back. 25% reduction if I remember correctly. The run speed decrease makes that not worth it in almost all cases though.

Pretty sure it is 50%, but it has to hit the sheild

Rabenstein said:
Armour protection is randomised between 50 - 100% of the armour value.
Rabenstein said:
1. do shields on the back add to armor against swings from behind?
Nope, they reduce projectile damage by 50% but do nothing against melee attacks.
2. whats the damage modifier for hitting legs? is it worth it in melee?
There isn't one, it does increase the chance of knockdown. Usually it's worth it solely because the majority of players never bother upgrading their leg armour.
IG_M said:
Nope, shield on back no longer blocks arrows
It never has, it's always been a flat 50% reduction.

Flash Vium said:
In a duel, some times you can stepb into the weapon swing of your enemy, causing it to glance off and follow it up with your own.
Actually, that's part of the "Sweet spot" mechanic. The speed bonus is the speed of the weapon relative to the target. So stepping left with a right-to-left swing will do more damage than standing still. Or stepping away from a swing will cause it to lose speed bonus (or even have negative speed bonus) (this can be combined with the sweet spots to reduce damage a whole lot). This is also how a horseman can 1-hit kill you with a 1h weapon.

Archonsod said:
Rabenstein said:
Is that a randomised value for every hit you take or is the value only set once when you buy the armour?

Sovereignity said:
Archonsod said:
Rabenstein said:
Is that a randomised value for every hit you take or is the value only set once when you buy the armour?

It's randomised for every, separate hit (melee blow, projectile impact) you take in battle.

Back
Top Bottom