insults of the mount and blade era.

Users who are viewing this thread

In the late 18th century (I know, not exactly M&B era, but it might still be relevant), calling someone "despicable" was enough to get into a pistol duel in at least one case.

mdk31 said:
In the late 18th century (I know, not exactly M&B era, but it might still be relevant), calling someone "despicable" was enough to get into a pistol duel in at least one case.

In a number of periods, duels could be easily provoked. It really doesn't have anything to do with the insult, but the retaliation of the insult. I imagine that the meaning of insults has changed little over time, and centered around being called a bastard, the mother a whore, accused of being a coward, or a homosexual. And of course the lower classes would have an equivalent of 'wanker'. The words may change, but the meaning will remain consistent.

"Niding" is told to bad person, such as a thief or a man without honor. The word still exists and is the same in modern scandinavian languages.

Gule said:
"Niding" is told to bad person, such as a thief or a man without honor. The word still exists and is the same in modern scandinavian languages.

Is it the same as the word "Nidering" Sir Walter Scott provides in his novel Ivanhoe as an example of the greatest Saxon insult?

Agent Griff said:
Gule said:

Is it the same as the word "Nidering" Sir Walter Scott provides in his novel Ivanhoe as an example of the greatest Saxon insult?

Saxon and old norse were very similar so I wouldn't be surprised if it was! And I can imagine it was a great insult, being without honor in those days was a tragedy.

"The song of ice and fire" series gave me a lot of material. It proves that many insults used today are a lot older than people think. Ignore the fact that it's a fantasy story, look at the very accurate medieval style world. Completly uncencored.

'[Thou liest,] thou shag-ear'd villain!'
Taken from Macbeth, said by MacDuff's (I just love this name) son.
In Hebrew, it was translated (complettely poorly, I assume) to 'You are a liar, a villain, and a hairy monkey!'  :lol:

azzarol said:
you taffer!

Thief FTW!  :lol:

Some brilliant insults and dialogs in those games. Like the part in one of the games where two sets of guards are shouting to each other from their roof tops about who's lady is better. They end up killing each other over it if you wait long it enough.  :grin:

Priceless.

Back
Top Bottom