Infantry movement in Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

lolbash

Master Knight
We need to allow Players and NPCs to be able to climb, and go prone and crawl.

We already have crouching, but what if we can go prone to hide in bushes/play dead?

And if we can climb we can jump on small houses to be able to get high ground and rain arrows from above.

Being able to go prone and crawl sounds all well and good however I'm not really sure how useful this would actually be. Being able to go prone and crawl doesn't really have a use in singleplayer but I can see it having one in multiplayer, using the example you provided.
The ability to go prone is best implemented in shooter type games where it has much more practical use, and apart from stealth I don't think there's much practical use in a Mount & Blade game (except for maybe use with crossbows, though reloading a crossbow whilst prone would be an issue).

Regarding climbing, I'm not sure how it would be implemented and I'm sure there would be problems with AI if it was. I can also see it being ripe for player abuse.

On one hand, I agree just for dynamic movement. But then again, as stated above it would serve little purpose in single player. Computer knows where you are so stealth is out of the question, add to the fact there's hardly any terrain to hide behind.

For multi-player, well, I'm sure there could be some uses, but honestly this isn't that kind of shooter, so... I don't know, I don't go multi-player, anyways. If you guys want it for that then by all means.

I know that these mechanics are next to useless, but so are emotes in games like Overwatch,  and taunting and surrender animations in Napoleonic Wars. But these are suggestions purely for doing fun stuff and screwing around in Multiplayer, and a bone for the Roleplay servers in Bannerlord.

We know as spears were useless in Warband but I want as spearmen to be able to resist cavalry charges just as in Total War games, also shieldwalls and schiltroms as formations. Take down cavalry forever

Rainbow Dash said:
I know that these mechanics are next to useless, but so are emotes in games like Overwatch,  and taunting and surrender animations in Napoleonic Wars. But these are suggestions purely for doing fun stuff and screwing around in Multiplayer, and a bone for the Roleplay servers in Bannerlord.
The examples you listed are of a different nature as they don't have a major impact on gameplay, granted neither does the ability to go prone and crawl (though climbing is a different story).

I personally wouldn't mind being able to go prone and crawl, doesn't really affect people who mainly play single player like me so it seems harmless enough.

Arnulf Floyd said:
We know as spears were useless in Warband but I want as spearmen to be able to resist cavalry charges just as in Total War games, also shieldwalls and schiltroms as formations. Take down cavalry forever
This thread was supposed to be about character movement not formations but I'll bite anyway.

It does appear that spear are much more useful in Bannerlord, and while I'm not sure if couched or braced spears are a thing in Bannerlord but I still think a spear wall should be possible.
Not really sure what type of shield wall you want, but if you want an overlapping shield wall... I wouldn't hold my breath.

Rainbow Dash said:

We already have crouching, but what if we can go prone to hide in bushes/play dead?

And if we can climb we can jump on small houses to be able to get high ground and rain arrows from above.

Sounds horrible considering they cant make a decent AI in 6 years of making the engine. Would be too easy for the player tbh.

Rainbow Dash said:

that would make sense if they introduced a true and elaborate stealth system in order to enter cities etc. which is NOT going to happen unfortunately. but i guess they cant make 10 games into one. both stealth, sims, strategy, rpg and whatnot.

578 said:
Rainbow Dash said:

Sounds horrible considering they cant make a decent AI in 6 years of making the engine. Would be too easy for the player tbh.
They can't? You got a pre-release copy no one knows about?

Noudelle said:
578 said:
Rainbow Dash said:

gamescom's demo showed already enough of the game AI

The Gamescome Demo is a striped down lean cut version of the game. We have seen Advanced AI in the older Gamescom video, which is mysteriously removed in the latest Demos.

In any case, Talesworlds have shown them to have been able to make perfectly capable AI that know when to jump climb and lie down.

fedeita said:
Noudelle said:
578 said:
Rainbow Dash said:

gamescom's demo showed already enough of the game AI
It absolutely didn't.

I think that crouching would be a good feature, specially in MP, since you would be able to hide from projectiles and from enemies line of sight. Also crouching and then bracing spears would be a good counter for cavalry charges and would add a lot to gameplay.

Horik6697 said:
I think that crouching would be a good feature, specially in MP, since you would be able to hide from projectiles and from enemies line of sight. Also crouching and then bracing spears would be a good counter for cavalry charges and would add a lot to gameplay.

That is debatable, M&B never rewarded static gameplay at all. Crouch would be okay if its done with an animation to avoid typical crouch spam in combat.

14H8H8 said:
What would you need prone for? This isn't Call of Duty. The crouching idea is good.
To add even more developpement time to the game and then whine that it isn't out yet.

I don't know Rainbow Dash's opinion on the matter of how long this game is taking to come out, but I know that adding more movement mechanics to the game would absolutely not be worth the additional developpement time for now. In the future, I think that additional movement options would be nice, but I really think that Taleworlds should focus on finishing and polishing what they have instead of piling up more mechanics and never releasing the game.

This should probably be in rainbow dash's thread, but I believe they wanted it for RP purposes. If truly only for RP it could be a player character animation. Although TaleWorlds has already said that we can mod skeletons and insert animations so as long as we are not allowing the AI to use it adding it would really be trivial.  :party:

To add even more developpement time to the game and then whine that it isn't out yet.

You serious?

Do you honestly think adding in animations would take so long that it would delay the release of the game by a year or so?

At the very least a prone animation could take like what, 2 days? 1 to add in an animation, and another for an animatior to fix the animation and a dev to edit the controls or something.

We have waited 6 years for Bannerlord. Surely you don't mind waiting anoter 2 days?

Rainbow Dash said:
Do you honestly think adding in animations would take so long that it would delay the release of the game by a year or so?
No, I don't remember saying that.
Rainbow Dash said:
At the very least a prone animation could take like what, 2 days? 1 to add in an animation, and another for an animatior to fix the animation and a dev to edit the controls or something.
ABSOLUTELY not. It may take a day at most to make the animation sure. Then they have to make all new movement animations for different states like crouched or prone and this will take a lot of time. Then they have to make transition animations for when you're moving while standing but you want to crouch or go prone and vice versa.
What happens when an enemy horse runs you over?
What happens when you enter a falling state?
What happens when you're underwater?
What happens to the hitboxes?
What happens to the AI trying to hit you? If I remember right, Warband's AI always aimed for standard center mass. Could be abused by reloading crossbow, enemies would shoot over you.
What happens when interacting with items that trigger an animation?
What happens to taking damage animations?
What happens if you get stuck somewhere?
What happens to glitching to areas you're not supposed to get to?

Now for the most part, individually, each of these things shouldn't be too much of an issue or take too much time to fix, but you add all of these things up and you got a lot of time invested in a feature that is ABSOLUTELY not necessary to the experience. Again, I'm not against the idea, I just don't think it's worth the trouble before release.

Back
Top Bottom