Improving armor/clotheless models (for both male & female characters)

Users who are viewing this thread

So with all the new graphics in Warband, the unarmored models/skins (when you select no body armor/clothes) don't look so good anymore.  And these are used somewhat frequently in multiplayer, so it would be nice to have them improved.  I'd like to see both get bump mapping and higher resolution textures.  The male character would look nicer with these changes.  Right now, the chest is kind of blocky (not enough polygons) and the trousers are quite bland.  Spicing these up a little would make the armorless male character look a lot nicer.

I think the female character's unarmored skin looks absolutely out of place and silly.  In addition to the above, I'd like the see the female character get trousers like the male and a different top.  Maybe put a ragged shirt or a tank top of sorts.  The brown bikini thing just looks really dumb to be honest.  Alternatively, female characters could be given a simple dress.  But since armorless females in M&B are soldiers 99% of the time and not peasant folk, I think trousers would be more fitting.  Its perhaps not representative of the majority of women in Calradia, but female soldiers aren't either.  So you would expect them to wear more man-like clothes, like they do in battle.

^ Oh snap. Good point.

No wonder massive beards looked so out of place...no body hair to go with it.

Berserker Pride said:
And give us hairy man-chests.  I doubt the average medieval man was a professional swimmer.
That's a good point actually.  Perhaps either A) different heads (that give you different skins) could have varying degrees of body hair, or B) using a beard would cause your character to have more body hair.

It seems so elementary, now that you think about it, that one wonders why it wasen't there in the first place!

bump.  I just want to make sure the devs see this.  I know this part of the forum isn't oft frequented by beta players either. :sad:

I also think the pants need a belt btw.

There are not many pants in M&B I think, but still the new chests (with hair) would certainly improve the overal expierence.
Not to forget that the skin color should match with the face color.

I've complaned about this too. And having men have hairy chests is a very good idea too. It should be a easy modification to do anyway

Honestly, I could do without the hairy chests (IRL and IG).  But for a realism aspect, I wont object to my character having chest hair as most guys dont shave their chests.  I do think there should be an option for it though.  Maybe a couple skins have chest hair and others dont.

I also think the shoulders are too broad.  Many games do this and its annoying.  They make the male characters have gigantic shoulders and chests, but dont seem to mind that the head looks tiny and awkward in comparison to it.  Theres a difference between muscle structure and bone structure and what im seeing is the result of really big bones.  Although the shoulders in M&B arent that bad, honestly.  They just look way too big when without a shirt...at least to my eyes.

Hair style selection, im surprisingly satisfied with.  There could be more styles (perticularly with longer hair), but im actually satisfied with the selection.

Another complaint I have is the lack of eye color variation.  They all have brown or dark brown eyes.  I have nothing against brown eyes, but not only are mine blue-gray in real life, I prefer lighter eye colors.  There should be an option or seperate skin that has an eye color other than brown.  Yes yes, I know.  "No one cares about color and they cant see it anyway."  Im just very detailed and ill spend a good 30 minutes on designing my character, even for a game where no one will pay attention to what it looks like, let alone see that I made my nose a tad smaller.

If new skins are going to be made, I really hope the developers pay attention to detail.  There are some very light skinned skins right now, but the eyes are screwed up and weird.  I really like the slider idea when developing a character, but I personally think the skin selection needs an update.

As a side note:  Its really really annoying trying to adjust something on my character when he is moving around and only stands still for a couple seconds.

CtrlAltDe1337 said:
Eye color thing is a good idea too.  What about a separate eye-color adjustment thing?  Because there are no green eyes right now :sad:

Actually, thats a better idea than having a separate skin.  We could select from a basic blue, green, brown, and gray.  Extra points for added detail like lighter and darker variations from the basic colors.

Yeah, that might work.  As long as it doesnt end up creating unrealistic eye colors, ill support that idea.  Genetically, eye colors are basically a slider from light to dark.  Gray being the lightest, then blue, green, hazel, amber, brown, and dark brown.  Albinism can sometimes produce a pinkish shade, but thats getting more complex than this game needs to be.

bump: naked models are hideous. The funny thing is that they actually do have normal maps on their textures, yet they look low-detail nonetheless. The clothing of course is obviously way out of place. I agree that the female character should just get braies + a linen wrap for a top.

Also I agree with the eye-color suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom