Improved Combat Mechanics

Users who are viewing this thread

Lord Rich

Grandmaster Knight
1.0 Intro

First off I want to clarify that this is not a whine about the current system because I suck at it or anything, I am no where near the best dueler out there but I am a relatively proficient player, I also generally like the way the combat feels. However I want to look critically at what the current melee combat mechanics are and what problems they have in terms of gameplay, then suggest alternate mechanics which might be deeper and to a degree look less ridiculous.

I would also add that I am open to discussion on the current mechanics and their pros/cons, if you think I am wrong anywhere then please bring it up. Also if you have any modifications/adjustments or alternate suggestions then post them. I would prefer for this to be a meta-topic on improving the melee combat mechanics rather than simply one dedicated to my own suggestion. Finally I have no doubts that anything suggested here by me or anyone else will not be implemented in warband, irrelevant of its popularity or sense, this is stuff for M&B2 assuming that is in the works.

2.0 The Current Mechanics

I am going to focus primarily on fighting without shields for the moment, I am sure that there is general agreement on the lackluster combat that comes from using shields.

2.1 Basics
So the basic mechanics of the game consist of being able to attack in four directions and defending in four directions. Heavy weapons can cause a small amount of stun on lighter ones and some weapons are able to crush through blocks but otherwise a pair of good blockers would be able to attack each other (just with the basic strikes) pretty much continuously without much chance of inflicting any damage. This has good points and bad points, the good is that its a simple system to understand so has an easy learning curve for new players, the bad is that if someone was new and came up against a good blocker they have absolutely no way of causing any damage in a one on one. I really dislike the way that a basic attack is made completely worthless in that regard.

2.2 Feinting
All of the more advanced attacks attempt to bypass a players block by misleading them, the easiest of these is the feint wherein a player will go through a portion of the attack before cancelling with the block then attacking in a different direction. While good blockers will see through even long chains of feints the speed of them in general is a bit ridiculous.

2.3 Footwork
The next easiest way to bypass a block is to use footwork, get your opponent to make his attack while you are out of range then leap in before he has recovered so that he cannot block your own attack. Once again a good duelist will simply not give the opening, its entirely dependant on your opponent making a mistake.

2.4 Misdirection
Another method (that seems more common now than it used to be) is misdirection. here players will use high amounts of spin to make their attacks from bizzare angles (since when can you thrust outwards then turn the point as you are thrusting 180 degrees!?) to disorient an opponent. They may also close extremely close and move round you in odd ways to try and make you lose line of sight with their weapon as well. This is often combined with essentially spam of feinting for maximum effect.

2.5 Chambering
The final alternative to the above is chamber blocking, where you make an attack a little after your opponents but have your weapon knock his out of the way en route. While this can be reliably used against bots in singleplayer (and used by bots :evil:) it is extremely difficult to use this deliberately online. This is because you need to be able to know how long a weapon will take to swing and hit you so you can time your own swing to meet it, the unpredictable rotation of most players characters when in combat makes this pretty much impossible, although you can use it against some players if they dont spin much during an attack.

2.6 Movement
The dancing that occurs during a fight is also particularly bad in my opinion, there is no momentum in the movement which can make it difficult to predict how an opponent will move as well as allow people to respond inhumanely fast. This can also be especially annoying for ranged players as it can be near impossible to hit players that can instantly change direction.

2.7 Conclusions
So this is my general conclusion about the mechanics, beyond the most basic abilities in attack and defence pretty much the entirety of the gameplay is based on either waiting for your opponent to make a mistake or forcing the mistake. Pretty much all attacks are low risk/low reward, additionally all the fights are extremely twitch based and instantaneous, there is little consideration for more general strategy beyond countering your opponents next blow and making your own attack. Players do not get tired and do not suffer loss of movement after taking injury. Weapons do not get damaged or stuck and there is no way to disarm an opponent. As such it is not surprising that many duel servers are entirely dominated by players wielding 2H weapons. These offer more damage for each single hit while also having better range and often speed (since the effects of spinning are increased with longer weapons).

3.0 Suggested Alterations

3.1 Stamina
The most important addition I think should be endurance/stamina. I know this has already been done in Age of Chivalry but I feel its a great system (although their usage was a bit wierd at times). Making attacks costs stamina, depending on your relative velocity to the opponent and angular momentum it will cost you more or less stamina to block (perfect blocks may cost no stamina at all). Doing nothing will replenish stamina automatically while moving around will either cause no drop or some drop with double tap actions (explained in a second). What this all means is that its not just about being able to spam attacks at your opponent until you break through. You can attack with the intent of tiring your opponent out, it effectively adds an end game to a duel scenario. For shorter sharper fights it is less likely to have an effect.

When stamina drops very low you will still be able to make attacks or defend yourself but whether this will be succesful or not will be governed by how you make your attacks and how much stamina your opponent has left.

3.2 Momentum/Dodges
Momentum should also definately be added, if you rush towards your opponent to close you shouldnt be able to instantaneously back out of it. There are good gameplay reasons for this aside from the obvious realism aspects. I think that good gameplay comes from risk and reward, for increasing your momentum (and therefore attack strength) as well as getting in range of your opponent you should have the risk that you cannot get out of range so easily. Having said that there is a need to be able to make faster dodges.

So this is how I think things should be:

Holding any of the four movement directions will gradually (might take 1 - 2 secs to get up to full speed) increase speed in said direction until it gets to the maximum speed limit for that direction. Moving backwards will be slowest (significantly slower than now) with moving sideways being somewhere in the middle. On top of this there will also be double key tap actions. For forwards this will go into charge mode which increases your forward speed to a maximum above your regular forwards movement speed. This will be maintained until you release the forwards key. It will also constantly drain stamina until you don't have enough left at which point you will drop back to normal forwards speed. Doing the forwards double tap from a stationary position should result in a sudden lurch forwards.

Double tapping left, right or back will result in a dodge in the equivalent direction, this will be followed by a short period of limited movement as your character regains balance. This will cost a fixed amount of stamina, if you don't have enough stamina to complete the action, your stamina will drop to zero for a short time and you will be forced to be stationary as you will be too exhausted to continue.

While you will still be able to control the direction of the avatar directly from the camera/mouse, sudden direction changes will have the possibility of stumbling. You wouldn't be able to charge at full speed towards an opponent then instantly turn round once you pass them without first slowing down or turning more gradually.

3.3 Attack Direction
The camera direction should also no longer be linked to the avatars direction when making an attack. This will fix the issues with chambering as it will once more make it predictable online. The camera will lock to the player when they are blocking or preparing an attack however. It would only be after you release the attack that camera rotation would no longer have an effect on the avatar. This would also fix the ridiculous thrusting actions we see now with people making huge direction changes to thrusting attacks.

This would on its own throw up some problems, how would you ever hit an opponent with a thrust or overhead attack so why would you use them. Well the thrust and overhead would each be modified.

3.4 Overhead Slash
The overhead attack would be the most efficient in terms of damage for stamina, it would cost the least stamina of the four attacks and would give more attacking damage than a side slash would. You could make a fair few more of these than side slashes and get more damage as a result. The risk of that bonus would be temporarily leaving yourself open to attack from an opponent who dodges. I would point out as well that hitting a moving opponent without turning yourself would not be as hard as it is now because of the momentum (although it will likely be no where near as easy as hitting someone with an overhead right now).

3.5 Thrusting
The thrust would have the most drastic change, this would become unblockable. You would not be able to stand there and use a regular block against any thrusting attack. That would sound overpowered until you remember that you can dodge in three different directions to avoid it, you can close to below its effective range (like how it works now) and you would be able to chamber it. Given that the thrust aims along a line as well simply hitting an opponent even with the momentum will likely take a bit of skill. It would effectively work like the kick does. This would be a great boon for the polearms as well since right now players can simply hold down the down block to become immune to all attacks, just look at all the silliness of the bayonet fighting on M&M. This is an important alteration in my opinion, as it could help break a deadlock between combatants.

The risk of missing is also dangerous, its true that you could get a clean unstoppable hit in, but if you miss your opponent has the same opportunity. This is less of a problem for a player using a pike, but then the pike would have only the one predictable attack (overhead with a pike should be removed, its so silly). Also while you wouldn't be in danger of getting hit after missing, the opponent could still dodge inside your range before you can make your next attack.

3.6 Ducking
Given that the new thrusts would make downwards blocking obsolete I would also suggest that down blocking would result in your avatar ducking which could be an alternative way to avoid horizontal slashes aimed high. This is once again a risk/reward technique, its a risky move since the attack might come too low and still hit you, but you get to stay in range of your opponent while he is vulnerable. Getting the timing right would no doubt be tricky as well but it would be possible for the same reasons chambers would now be possible.

3.7 Costs for feinting
I am honestly not sure about the feinting mechanic, on the one hand you definately need to be able to change attack direction, but I feel the current method really doesn't do any justice to the game. Probably the best option here would be to have a stamina cost for changing from one attack direction to a block or another attack direction directly. Players could then do the feinting for short periods at a higher cost of stamina or slow their actions down to reserve stamina, it would be up to them to determine how wasteful they are.

3.8 Tackling
The final thing I would like to add is the idea of tackling, if an enemy charges into you, you will get knocked over. This will not be blockable, only avoidable. For the charging player a fully successful charge (charging into a static opponent) will result in your opponent being knocked to the ground and potentially an easy kill for you. Partial success (charging into each other, hitting at different velocities) may result in both players being knocked to the ground. The main risk for this technique would be the possibility of it being dodged then being hit or even worse simply having your opponent aim a stab at you as you come charging in. It's a high risk tactic but one with a high payout as well.

3.9 Conclusions
I feel the above changes would dramatically improve the options a player has in a fight and therefore increase the depth of the game. You can now plan further ahead than the next blow and have the option of a more thought out strategy. There are options for high risk/high reward tactics that may let players break deadlocks and the addition of stamina not only allows for the restraint of spam based attacks (not removal though, it only limits their consecutive use) but also gives an endgame to fights where one players better management of stamina will allow him to overcome his enemy.

The changes will also hopefully limit or remove the more ridiculous and inhuman techniques and attacks that currently are in use. I prefer to argue these points from a gameplay point of view rather than realism however, since a realistic game is not necessarily fun. For this reason I don't think its a good idea to have injuries affect a players abilities or have weapons break etc...

Hopefully you got this far without getting bored, if you did make it then you get a cookie  :wink:.

All of that sounds very complicated. Really the only thing I'd like changed is reduced turn speed while wielding polearms (easily explained by rotational inertia of very long things) and effects of momentum while moving, so one can't zigzag like a slot car in order to dodge attacks.

I'd also like a duck/crouch feature, but I've heard that's already been implemented in a few mods so should be a quick fix.

I can agree with everything except 3.5 and 3.6. I'm cooking up an idea for a more realistic combat system, and in it thrusts are redirected with your weapon as opposed to dodging. I wouldn't mind a dodge option if it has nothing to do with the blocking option.

And you should find a new mechanic for dodge instead of blocking downward, I have uses for downwards block.

Having the camera slow down on attack, kind of relates to my "Balance" idea: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,156479.0.html and it would be among the many penalties to having a low balance (in the moment) and a low stamina.

I've played AOC and I think stamina should only have a slight effect, not so much that it determines the battle, but gives a very very slight advantage to attack speed, attack rate etc. Stamina however, should be required much for dodging, taking small chunks out for every "dodge" move. I don't think the stamina "bar" or any bar besides HP should be visible, it kinds of gives the player the "feel" instead of the exact quantity of stamina or other ratings they have.

Hmm what else.. I would find other ways to punish feinting, or make it more block-able. Your method comes to closely to punishing people who block multiple opponents and try to attack back.

rokema said:
stamina = gay

No flaming please, that's not helpful.

RSwordsman said:
All of that sounds very complicated. Really the only thing I'd like changed is reduced turn speed while wielding polearms (easily explained by rotational inertia of very long things) and effects of momentum while moving, so one can't zigzag like a slot car in order to dodge attacks.

I'd also like a duck/crouch feature, but I've heard that's already been implemented in a few mods so should be a quick fix.

I don't think it would be significantly more complicated than now, it's still effectively the same system in terms of controls except with the addition of the double tap keys and they have been used in other games such as UT.

As for crouching/ducking I would be happy for that to work like in the mods using the C key or whatever (although it would have to be an awful lot smoother and faster to be used in combat). The only reason I suggested using the down block was because I figured it wasn't being used for anything else, it also isn't too bad from a logic stand point to have blocking down result in ducking.

Greensbr said:
I can agree with everything except 3.5 and 3.6. I'm cooking up an idea for a more realistic combat system, and in it thrusts are redirected with your weapon as opposed to dodging. I wouldn't mind a dodge option if it has nothing to do with the blocking option.

And you should find a new mechanic for dodge instead of blocking downward, I have uses for downwards block.

See above, but I am curious how redirecting would work, I would think that you would either have an attack hit you or not and if not, no matter how it is deflected it would still be the same as blocking. You would have to expand a bit on this for me to follow.

Greensbr said:
I've played AOC and I think stamina should only have a slight effect, not so much that it determines the battle, but gives a very very slight advantage to attack speed, attack rate etc. Stamina however, should be required much for dodging, taking small chunks out for every "dodge" move. I don't think the stamina "bar" or any bar besides HP should be visible, it kinds of gives the player the "feel" instead of the exact quantity of stamina or other ratings they have.

Well it wouldn't actively stop you from making any attacks if you have low stamina, it reduces the effects of the attacks. Dodges though would not be possible unless you have the necessary stamina. I would keep the bar visible myself though, any subtle hints given through animations or the performance of a dodge move can be too difficult to pick up on in the heat of battle. A real person fighting would obviously be continually aware of how tired they are so I think it should be easy to instantly know how much stamina we have left.

Perhaps the bar could only show up when your stamina is low as a warning, or even easier is just to add an option in the settings as to whether to show the stamina bar or not.

Greensbr said:
Hmm what else.. I would find other ways to punish feinting, or make it more block-able. Your method comes to closely to punishing people who block multiple opponents and try to attack back.

It would only be if you go from block->attack or attack->block, there would be no stamina penalty from going from block->block. Other than that I think the only way you could punish or control it would be to somehow limit the speed at which you can change between blocking and attacking, this would make the combat clunkier and would have effects on response time for simply trying to defend yourself. It's important to remember that feinting is a completely accidental feature and was never planned by the devs.

Thanks for the constructive criticism though :smile:.

I like your ideas, though they would take a bit of scripting. hell, thats the devs job though right? lol

How about when both you and your opponent swing your sword/axe/halberd/whatever to the same side (you swing right and he swings right, or vv..) and your weapons clash. when your weapons clash, you have to click your right mouse button as fast as you can to overpower the other guy :grin:. until you do though, your two characters are locked in a struggle until one either backs up or gets beat down, pressing left or right would just cause your two characters to rotate in a circle , struggling. pressing W could also help win the struggle, you shouldnt be able to run forwards when locked in the struggle, or it would just defeat the purpose, because people are constantly moving... this would cause people to think more carefully about their attacks, and if stamina were implemented, it would make it that much more interesting :grin:

Yeah it would be nice to have a way to have clashes like that, I'm not sure that mouse click speed would be a good decider though. For one thing it's easy enough to create scripts to auto-click at ridiculous rates so it would be very easy to cheat with it. I am also reminded of an old game called Iron Lord, it had a section in it when you had to best an opponent in an arm wrestle using the same technique. Sufficed to say it doesn't do your mouse any good ^^.

I honestly can't think of a way that this could be done skilfully, which makes sense in a way since overpowering ones opponent is entirely based on physical capability. Maybe it could simply be auto resolved based on character strength, both players will lose stamina but the stronger player will lose stamina slower, if both players are evenly matched in strength then stamina loss is identical. This should continue until a player runs out of stamina or decides to pull out of the engagement.

This would actually have some sense behind it, its a gamble since neither player is aware of the others remaining stamina and also may not be aware of their strength. Additionally it could even be used by a weaker player against a stronger player deliberately as a holding tactic to allow an ally to get the finishing blow, or if they think they have drained the strongers strength enough to win.

EDIT: It could also be used as a way of trying to find out if the opponent does have less stamina than you. They would likely pull out in an engagement they wouldn't win, but clever players may bluff it and continue anyway to try and convince their opponent they do have more stamina left.

Weapon locks/clashes are pretty awesome. I remember from various Dynasty Warriors/Star Wars games that implemented them very well, and regardless of historical accuracy (I have yet to see this in real fighting but hey, rule of cool), it would add tons of dramatic flair to battles and especially to duels. Although it should be fairly rare, maybe only happening in attacks that not only happen at the same time but would deal about the same damage also.

damage would be a bad idea, because then lower levels wouldnt be able to use it at all against higher levels, making the skill useless.
Weapon type, however would be a good compensation. bastard swords(2h)/ shortened bardiches would be able to lock, but not a 1h bastard sword, you see what i am getting at? only weapons that would realistically be able to clash should be able to clash. like a staff and a two handed sword would be alright

maybe they could make it so that if you swing your weapon at an enemy's incoming weapon it would smack it out of the way.
or perhaps a disarming blow? smack someone in the hand and they would drop their sword (and hand! but then it would be a dehanding blow lol).

or how about if your dexterity is high enough, you could knock helmets off with well placed strikes :grin:

evilkoal said:
damage would be a bad idea, because then lower levels wouldnt be able to use it at all against higher levels, making the skill useless.
Weapon type, however would be a good compensation. bastard swords(2h)/ shortened bardiches would be able to lock, but not a 1h bastard sword, you see what i am getting at? only weapons that would realistically be able to clash should be able to clash. like a staff and a two handed sword would be alright

Well the relative amounts of drain on stamina from such a clash wouldn't be too different, if you have one character with strength 11 and another with strength 12, the stronger will not be guaranteed of winning, he will have a better chance but it is more likely to come down to the amount of stamina they had before they started. Also as RSwordsman pointed out, this is probably more a hollywood thing than a realistic element of battle, so there aren't really any rules regarding what weapons should be capable of this.

evilkoal said:
maybe they could make it so that if you swing your weapon at an enemy's incoming weapon it would smack it out of the way.
or perhaps a disarming blow? smack someone in the hand and they would drop their sword (and hand! but then it would be a dehanding blow lol).

We already have this, it's called chamber blocking :wink:.

Evilkoal, I get what you're saying. Deciding clash or not based on attack damage wouldn't be a great idea. A good addition to this would be if  the person with the stronger attack would gain a certain advantage in positioning when the clash starts. If the weapons would normally lock in the middle of the two combatants, the advantage (let's say a few reach points per damage point above the opponent's) would make the initial push start closer to the enemy, making him have to push that much harder to overcome his opponent's harder hit.

I'll diagram it as well as I can. O's are people, X's are locked weapons. Equal-ish hit strength: o--X--o

Stronger attack from the man on the left: o---X-0

It would make it basically a reverse tug-of-war that would benefit whoever can deliver a bigger initial hit. Of course it's still an optional feature to fight using brute force, not a mandatory minigame. A vastly underpowered fighter can still choose to dodge, chamber-block, etc. to gain the upper hand.

haha so when do they start implementing this in the next patch? :smile:

FREAKING SWEET IDEAS! keep them coming lol

Sorry, but I stopped reading after you said chambering was nigh impossible to do deliberately and consistently against humans. I know several players who can. In fact, I once won a duel using only my fists by chambering. And since your talking about dueling, I would have to disagree about there being no momentum. While physically there may not be momentum guiding your swings, thee is certainly a lot of momentum in duels. You also forgot about pattern and rhythm, which, IMO, are the most important part of dueling.

I must admit, those are very interesting ideas, maybe a bit too complicated, but still great.
But... Devs will not implement it. Why? I'm 99% sure, that they wont implement anything new to Warband any more. Why? They already sold this game, and no one needs to pay for patches, they are "poor" so they do not want to waste time to just "give" something to us.
They might use your suggestion(if they'll read it, what I highly doubt) in next expansion/game.

Mr.X said:
Sorry, but I stopped reading after you said chambering was nigh impossible to do deliberately and consistently against humans. I know several players who can. In fact, I once won a duel using only my fists by chambering. And since your talking about dueling, I would have to disagree about there being no momentum. While physically there may not be momentum guiding your swings, thee is certainly a lot of momentum in duels. You also forgot about pattern and rhythm, which, IMO, are the most important part of dueling.

Well I said that if you thought I was wrong bring it up so ... :wink:.

I can also use chambering against the right opponent, if I study his moves and realise that his actions are very simple and predictable sure you can use it. But against capable opponents who will deliberately change their attack patterns constantly to try to break through then I just cant see you reliably using it. I am also guessing that when you beat your opponent to death with your fists it probably wasnt someone on par with yourself (I've done that myself before now).

Overall yes it can be used, but if the mechanic becomes useless against players as skill level increases then there's something wrong, especially considering that it is without doubt the hardest skill to learn of any of the attacks.

In terms of momentum I think you are mixing meanings, I was not talking about the momentum of the swing per say (nor about a general momentum of the battle) but instead the momentum of the players whole body. Currently players can instantly change direction, not only is that completely unrealistic but it also means that there is no committal to an attack. It also makes a players moves far less predictable, it is why we have to be able to turn as we thrust because otherwise we could never hit anyone. The addition of momentum will make movement much more predictable which will in turn allow for the removal of turning when attacking.

KuroiNekouPL said:
I must admit, those are very interesting ideas, maybe a bit too complicated, but still great.
But... Devs will not implement it. Why? I'm 99% sure, that they wont implement anything new to Warband any more. Why? They already sold this game, and no one needs to pay for patches, they are "poor" so they do not want to waste time to just "give" something to us.
They might use your suggestion(if they'll read it, what I highly doubt) in next expansion/game.

I actually mentioned that I wasn't expecting this to get into warband in the first post. It's aimed at what comes next, but thank you for the complement, hopefully the devs will listen to this or other similar posts and incorporate any community feedback into a sequel :smile:.

These all look like really neat suggestions, you've put a lot of thought into this. I like most of the suggestions, especially the ones relating to stamina. One thing I might consider adding to the suggestions is having the maximum amount of stamina you have be not only tied to your strength, but also your current health. This would make it difficult to take large amounts of damage and keep going as quickly as a fresh man. In reality, the more hits you take, the more you will.
Also, as has been pointed out numerous times in other threads, stamina would provide a benifit to more lightly armoured troops, as well as the idea of a dodge or quick-step. It would give people playing as the lighter equipped units the chance to take out the armoured superweapons.
I hope some of this is incorperated into the next game, it looks like it would be a great addition to the system. It was the unique fighting style that first attracted me to Mount & Blade, and I hope it stays fresh and interesting.

Lord Rich said:
Mr.X said:

Well I said that if you thought I was wrong bring it up so ... :wink:.

I can also use chambering against the right opponent, if I study his moves and realise that his actions are very simple and predictable sure you can use it. But against capable opponents who will deliberately change their attack patterns constantly to try to break through then I just cant see you reliably using it. I am also guessing that when you beat your opponent to death with your fists it probably wasnt someone on par with yourself (I've done that myself before now).

Overall yes it can be used, but if the mechanic becomes useless against players as skill level increases then there's something wrong, especially considering that it is without doubt the hardest skill to learn of any of the attacks.

In terms of momentum I think you are mixing meanings, I was not talking about the momentum of the swing per say (nor about a general momentum of the battle) but instead the momentum of the players whole body. Currently players can instantly change direction, not only is that completely unrealistic but it also means that there is no committal to an attack. It also makes a players moves far less predictable, it is why we have to be able to turn as we thrust because otherwise we could never hit anyone. The addition of momentum will make movement much more predictable which will in turn allow for the removal of turning when attacking.

KuroiNekouPL said:

I actually mentioned that I wasn't expecting this to get into warband in the first post. It's aimed at what comes next, but thank you for the complement, hopefully the devs will listen to this or other similar posts and incorporate any community feedback into a sequel :smile:.

Basically what I was getting at is that you've missed a huge portion of game mechanics at higher levels. Read this post. You'll see there's a lot more to dueling and melee combat in general than what the average, or even the "skilled" player, knows.

rokema said:
stamina = gay
:roll:

I think if implemented properly, stamina could be a very good addition to the game. The problem is that as much as it could help to deepen gameplay, improper implementation could also ruin the gameplay. Adding stamina would pretty much require its own beta test to experiment and get it right.

The idea is to deepen gameplay without slowing it down or making it drag/boring. I think the best way for stamina to affect the game is for it to affect how strong you parry and how quickly you recover from being parried. That way it wouldn't actually slow the gameplay down, but would still give an advantage to a player who managed his stamina better.

It would be crucial in this case to decide on the right stamina costs for various actions. Ideally, the stamina costs would present both the defender and attacker with ways to "out-stamina" the other. Once one has "out-stamina"ed the other, then he has serious initiative and can go completely on the attack.

As for movement: I'm kind of split on this matter. I also find the current "dancing/running-gunning" footwork pretty ridiculous. But I'm not sure I agree with your solution. I would certainly be willing to try it out, but I'm not very sure it would be a very good representation of real footwork. For example, in real life, I can continuously sidestep/dodge around someone very quickly without having to pause to regain my balance. Seriously, watch a good Taekwondo competitor warming his footwork up and you will be amazed at how quick a person can be on his/her feet. However, I do agree with the idea of not being able to instantaneously change directions.

My proposal is to allow the player to hold down a button to have his character "walk". During this slower movement mode, you could almost instantaneously change direction, but when moving at normal speed, the player would need to deal with momentum. This would encourage players to use "walking" to fine-tune their footwork, but the normal movement speed would also be useful for circling the opponent or moving in for a fast attack (or making an attempt to move past an opponent's attack to get behind the opponent). Also, the momentum affect shouldn't be too big, but big enough to eliminate the CS style dancing around that we have now. It could be implemented in an elegant fashion with a simply formula. Simply, the faster you move, the more momentum you must overcome to change directions in movement giving "walking" a noticeable advantage as far as changing directions. In my opinion, this would definitely add a new layer of depth to the timing/distance/rhythm aspect of gameplay without necessarily making it much more clunky or slowing things down.

I would also add that with this change, it will be easier to hit people as an archer/xbowman, so armor should become more effective at protecting against arrows/bolts.

Mr.X said:
Basically what I was getting at is that you've missed a huge portion of game mechanics at higher levels. Read this post. You'll see there's a lot more to dueling and melee combat in general than what the average, or even the "skilled" player, knows.
There are certain "techniques" that can take advantage of players who use mouse blocking too, but I'm not going to share any of my secrets as of yet :razz:

There will always be a deeper level of competition in games like MnB. However, that does not mean that the current game couldn't be improved to represent combat in a more believable fashion.

So this is my general conclusion about the mechanics, beyond the most basic abilities in attack and defence pretty much the entirety of the gameplay is based on either waiting for your opponent to make a mistake or forcing the mistake.
I will say here, that this is the case for most competition in general. In top levels of competition in all types of non-MnB contests, the main thing is to wait for or force the opponent to make a mistake and then capitalize on it whether it is chess, MMA, boxing, tennis, etc. In my opinion, MnB should have more ability to force mistakes.

I would also like to disagree with your proposal to lock the character rotation during an attack. We already tried this during the Warband beta and it severely handicapped the attacker. Fights pretty much went this way: step 1) wait for opponent to attack, step 2) run around him while he is stuck, and step 3) kill him. It is a feature that can actually kill the depth of gameplay. In addition, turning into the attack actually adds another layer of gameplay to consider. I think that the "damage arc" of a swing caused by the speed bonus should be reduced, but turning into your swing should still be a gameplay element in my opinion.

So rather than restricting character rotation during attack, the damage arc of the swing should be reduced (so that if you turn too far into your attack you will actually miss the opponent)

Diputs said:
These all look like really neat suggestions, you've put a lot of thought into this. I like most of the suggestions, especially the ones relating to stamina. One thing I might consider adding to the suggestions is having the maximum amount of stamina you have be not only tied to your strength, but also your current health. This would make it difficult to take large amounts of damage and keep going as quickly as a fresh man. In reality, the more hits you take, the more you will.

I agree on both points I think, it definitely makes sense that characters with higher strength would get more stamina, if there's a higher cost for lugging around armour or using heavier weapons as well they would need it.

I am less certain about injuries reducing stamina, not for any realism reasons but simply because I suspect it may be more frustrating than fun if the first hit decides the fight. On the other hand it wouldn't actually slow you down or stop you doing any attacks, it would simply reduce the number of attacks or moves you could pull off in succession. So in that case it would probably be ok.

Mr.X said:

I am already aware of everything Reapy is talking about there and I agree with every point. But even he admits that chambering is pretty much impossible to block if you know about it and do a held strike. I am not arguing that the game doesn't have deeper nuances in it, on the contrary we wouldn't have a range of skills if the game was shallow. There are also certainly psychological aspects such as panic that will effect the outcome of a duel.

But the stuff I think you are referring to are not mechanics of the game per say but more tactics or the skills to use the mechanics to the best ability.

ares007 said:
I think if implemented properly, stamina could be a very good addition to the game. The problem is that as much as it could help to deepen gameplay, improper implementation could also ruin the gameplay. Adding stamina would pretty much require its own beta test to experiment and get it right.

The idea is to deepen gameplay without slowing it down or making it drag/boring. I think the best way for stamina to affect the game is for it to affect how strong you parry and how quickly you recover from being parried. That way it wouldn't actually slow the gameplay down, but would still give an advantage to a player who managed his stamina better.

It would be crucial in this case to decide on the right stamina costs for various actions. Ideally, the stamina costs would present both the defender and attacker with ways to "out-stamina" the other. Once one has "out-stamina"ed the other, then he has serious initiative and can go completely on the attack.

I agree, stamina could make gameplay worse if its not implemented right, but I think there's more room to improve than destroy.

ares007 said:
As for movement: I'm kind of split on this matter. I also find the current "dancing/running-gunning" footwork pretty ridiculous. But I'm not sure I agree with your solution. I would certainly be willing to try it out, but I'm not very sure it would be a very good representation of real footwork. For example, in real life, I can continuously sidestep/dodge around someone very quickly without having to pause to regain my balance. Seriously, watch a good Taekwondo competitor warming his footwork up and you will be amazed at how quick a person can be on his/her feet. However, I do agree with the idea of not being able to instantaneously change directions.

My proposal is to allow the player to hold down a button to have his character "walk". During this slower movement mode, you could almost instantaneously change direction, but when moving at normal speed, the player would need to deal with momentum. This would encourage players to use "walking" to fine-tune their footwork, but the normal movement speed would also be useful for circling the opponent or moving in for a fast attack (or making an attempt to move past an opponent's attack to get behind the opponent). Also, the momentum affect shouldn't be too big, but big enough to eliminate the CS style dancing around that we have now. It could be implemented in an elegant fashion with a simply formula. Simply, the faster you move, the more momentum you must overcome to change directions in movement giving "walking" a noticeable advantage as far as changing directions. In my opinion, this would definitely add a new layer of depth to the timing/distance/rhythm aspect of gameplay without necessarily making it much more clunky or slowing things down.

I would also add that with this change, it will be easier to hit people as an archer/xbowman, so armor should become more effective at protecting against arrows/bolts.

------------

I would also like to disagree with your proposal to lock the character rotation during an attack. We already tried this during the Warband beta and it severely handicapped the attacker. Fights pretty much went this way: step 1) wait for opponent to attack, step 2) run around him while he is stuck, and step 3) kill him. It is a feature that can actually kill the depth of gameplay. In addition, turning into the attack actually adds another layer of gameplay to consider. I think that the "damage arc" of a swing caused by the speed bonus should be reduced, but turning into your swing should still be a gameplay element in my opinion.

So rather than restricting character rotation during attack, the damage arc of the swing should be reduced (so that if you turn too far into your attack you will actually miss the opponent)

I might be mistaken but wasn't the change during beta a lock on rotation speed not actually a complete lock down on rotating while attacking?

In any case you're quite right that people would be able to skip round your back while you are making your attack but not with the new momentum system. The only reason people are able to do that now is because of the lack of momentum since it requires large accelerations and decelerations. I think we could also remove the damage reductions on parts of the weapon swing (certainly make them more liberal) since it couldn't be abused as easily as now.

Faster more instantaneous moves would be done using the dodge combo moves, these have a cost in terms of stamina and I have to admit that I can't see the totality of how they could be used without testing it in-game.

As for the walking thing, I think it might be nice if there was a bit of a simpler solution for that, maybe you could just start at a low speed when you start to move rather than a speed of zero. That's more realistic anyway (a human can put in a large initial impulse on the first step to quickly get him moving) and would allow for the slower movements you discuss without the need for an awkward additional button press.

I also agree that it would be easier to hit with ranged (too easy) so I would personally prefer a reduction of ranged accuracy across the board. I preferred M&M's take on ranged weaponry.

ares007 said:
So this is my general conclusion about the mechanics, beyond the most basic abilities in attack and defence pretty much the entirety of the gameplay is based on either waiting for your opponent to make a mistake or forcing the mistake.
I will say here, that this is the case for most competition in general. In top levels of competition in all types of non-MnB contests, the main thing is to wait for or force the opponent to make a mistake and then capitalize on it whether it is chess, MMA, boxing, tennis, etc. In my opinion, MnB should have more ability to force mistakes.

Yeah I realised after I posted that it was a rather redundant statement, hoped no one would notice... failed...  :oops:

I really like some of your ideas and i want the fighting system to be improved badly. I also had a few ideas on how to change it, but let me comment on yours first. I agree with most of what you say apart from this:
  • 3.1 Stamina: it would probably be really hard to implement it right, so it wouldn't be just a nuisance. That is the reason I am against it
  • 3.3 Attack direction: I have a similar idea that might work better - check "stationary attack"
  • 3.6: Ducking: I think that would be one button too many
  • 3.7 Feinting: in my system feinting during an attack wouldn't be possible
  • 3.8 Tackling: similar idea. Check "charging"

Now here is my list of changes:

Slower walking speed
  • Player's couldn't make a circle around you so quickly and it would probably result in fewer teamkills in mp
  • I compensate for this with "sprint" and "dodge"

Dodge
  • You would dodge by tapping space and a directional key, it would replace jumping. You also wouldn't be able to dodge forward to avoid players bumping into each other constantly.
  • It would have a short cooldown period so you couldn't spam it.
  • Sideways dodges would be harder, but would give you an opening on the enemy, while backwards dodge would just get you out of the way.
  • You couldn't block or attack while dodging.

Stationary attack
  • When releasing the attack button the player would stop to swing and couldn't move until the attack animation ended. This would make attacking a bit more methodical. Also it's more realistic (if you don't believe me, pick up a stick and try to swing it heavily while running)
  • During the attack animation the player couldn't rotate. The camera would act This is to remove swinging with mouse from the game completely, because it ruins excellent features like chambering.
  • Once the attack would be released you wouldn't be able to stop it. This would make spamming attacks very risky and remove feinting during attack completely (I personally don't like it too much anyways)

Charge and sprint
  • Holding space and forward would make player sprint. During sprinting you couldn't block. This would replace the current sprinting system. It would also be even faster if the weapons were holstered
  • If you'd hold the attack button during sprinting you would trigger a charge.
  • Charge would last about 10m. Charge speed would accelerate until it reached it's peak. Peak of the charge would be between about 9th and 10th meter and if you hit an enemy during that time he would be knocked back (the peak is small so this would be hard to do)
  • Releasing an attack during a charge would give you bonus damage, depending on your speed, so yo couldn't effectively charge an enemy close to you.
  • This would work the same on horseback. If you hit an enemy horseman into the shield during the peak you would dismount him (would be really fun during tournaments :grin:).

I have plenty of other ideas regarding polearms and horse combat, but no point in writing them here :smile:.

Back
Top Bottom