Imperial Infantrymen

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey there thought I'd discuss something rather specific and hear everyone's take on the subject.

I just started a new campaign and decided I'd try the empire out... Wanted a themed army so I'm going all infantry, I've enjoyed it so far, however as my soldier progress through the imperial tiers, from recruit to legionary I can't help but a bit confused and slightly disapointed.

I really dig the mid tier imperial swordsmen, the imeprial trained infantryman in particular is very much what I expected from the faction, a very roman look with pilums and large shields.. however as we progress through the tiers the roman theme kinda goes away to into something that doesn't reallty seem to fit the earlier look at all?

I'm not historian but I'm kinda sad that my roman shieldwall has degraded into what looks like a bunch of eastern knights standing beside eachother

Imperial recruit: Your standard low tier cannon fodder, this guy is fine

Imperial Infantryman: Looks like a standard foot soldier with sword and board, with a slight late roman look to him with the large shield.

Imperial trained Infantryman: Looks even more like a roman soldier, now also carrying throwing spears.. great flavor and theme..

Imperial veteran Infantryman: Sort of a more heavily armored version of the trained one, only how he's suddenly carrying a spear on his back and lost his throwing spears? That's odd. His shield has gotten smaller aswell, the armor looks better but I don't understand who he'd lose his throwing spears, something very core to the roman legionary theme

Imperial legionary: Somehow this guy is the least legionary looking of most of them.. sporting armor that doesnt look very roman inspired and a helmet that's sort of an uglier more open version of the previous ones. His spear has shrunken down to a short spear and he now wields eastern weapons? I don't understand this progression at all.

I'm not trying to say this is terrible or anything, just thought I'd hear what you guys think about this? I was positive I'd seen a version of the legionary that was far more roman looking earlier in development.

Last edited:
Imperial veteran Infantryman: Sort of a more heavily armored version of the trained one, only how he's suddenly carrying a pike on his back and lost his throwing spears? That's odd. His shield has gotten smaller aswell, the armor looks better but I don't understand he loes his throwing spears, something very core to the roman legionary theme

Sounds like a Triarius to me. The Triarii were veteran Roman Legionnaires who used spears and heavy armor. Early Roman Republic that is, I know everything I do from Total War Rome lol.

Sounds like a Triarius to me. The Triarii were veteran Roman Legionnaires who used spears and heavy armor. Early Roman Republic that is, I know everything I do from Total War Rome lol.
there is literally hastati, princepes, and triarii units in the game already. The legion of the betrayed uses them

In the early Roman army, the battle line was Velites - Light Skirmishers, and then Hastati - young soldiers, skirmishers/light infantry armed with javelins (pila) sword and shield, and if that didn't suffice, then the Principes, who were heavily armored veterans with pila, sword and shield, and then if it "went to the Triarii", they were the oldest serving soldiers and were an older formation from the earliest days of Rome, just heavily armored spear formations that marched down enemies as a Phalanx, being inspired by the Greeks of Alexander's time.

Hehe well I'm afraid not, this is in the swordsman upgrade line, he is still using a sword as his main weapon. Infact everyone BUT the legionaries uses a long'ish shortsword as their primary weapon

They shouldn't really look like roman troops but more like byzantine ones and i think they succeded in that regard
I'm only loosely aware of the look of ancient byzantine soldiers, could you perhaps find some pictures of what you think matches the current upgrade line? By googling it I just sorta come up with a bunch of romans for some reason

I guess it's not so much that they're not roman in particular it's the upgrade tree goes from looking like soldiers that belong in an army formation to knights who look kinda strange fighting in a shieldwall. I dunno... I was just really let down and surprised that the look of my army got totally ruined as I upgraded my troops.

I don't think there are any faction that has a more fitting.. heavily armored shieldwall type elite infantry is there? If there is I'll change exchange my legionaries for em... I feel kinda cheated that I don't get a proper shieldwall :razz:

I'm only loosely aware of the look of ancient byzantine soldiers, could you perhaps find some pictures of what you think matches the current upgrade line? By googling it I just sorta come up with a bunch of romans for some reason

I guess it's not so much that they're not roman in particular it's the upgrade tree goes from looking like soldiers that belong in an army formation to knights who look kinda strange fighting in a shieldwall. I dunno... I was just really let down and surprised that the look of my army got totally ruined as I upgraded my troops.

I don't think there are any faction that has a more fitting.. heavily armored shieldwall type elite infantry is there? If there is I'll change exchange my legionaries for em... I feel kinda cheated that I don't get a proper shieldwall :razz:
Look to the med 2 tw stainless steel mod. Or the Medieval Kingdoms 1212 AD mod for Attila.

Empire of Nicea. (Romans after they lost constantinople in th 4th crusade to the latins and venetians.

Look to the med 2 tw stainless steel mod. Or the Medieval Kingdoms 1212 AD mod for Attila.

Empire of Nicea. (Romans after they lost constantinople in th 4th crusade to the latins and venetians.

Huh there are mods already? Thank you for the recommendation :smile: I think I'd prefer staying vanilla for now, but I'll keep it in mind !

Huh there are mods already? Thank you for the recommendation :smile: I think I'd prefer staying vanilla for now, but I'll keep it in mind !
He did say that is a medieval 2 total war mod/Atilla total war mod, not a bannerlord mod :razz:

And yes i think you nailed it, they do look a little more Eastern because they are more like the Byzantine Empire ( or known as the Eastern Roman Empire ) and less like the early roman legions/Western Roman Empire.

Would be cool though if like @hoe12moe said, the Western Empire would look more "roman like", and the Southern Empire would resemble the Byzantines, as they do now.

Back
Top Bottom