How to start out?

Users who are viewing this thread

buggy123

Recruit
How do you guys start? I mean, there's like freaking armed mobs everywhere and you barely have any money to recruit. I'm just following Lords around on their mob annihilation campaigns and fighting with them. Any tips?

A bit new to the mod myself, but to get things started I do the following:
* Take the time and talk to the nearby training area NPC (not arena) and do those melee matches.  Good to get you about 1-2 levels.
* Your group should have 50 Prussian Fusiliers, more than a match for 100 or so villager NPCs.  Take one of the rebelling peasant bands down that are roughly 100-200 in strength.  When in combat, pick high ground, preferably with a steep slope the enemy has to climb up in front of your party.  At the top, have your soldiers form a line and stay there.  The incline should slow down the enemy and give you the chance to fire 2-3 more volleys into their faces as they climb up.  As for you, at this point in time, get off the horse (which sucks to begin with) and fight on foot with your soldiers.  I usually stay around the sides (for me, the right side of the line as the officer).
* Don't go for more professional enemy parties that are even roughly your party's size.  Your character's skills aren't good yet and there's only so much your fusiliers can do against a balanced opponent, especially if they bring cavalry (lancers especially).
* Grab the loot, sell in nearby towns, and also get some badly needed XPs.  Among the loot, you can get lots of low quality firearms and basic ammo.  Nothing fancy, but it puts guns in your hands and for any characters you recruit.
* If you want to work on Firearms early, leave the musket and pick a pistol when you can.  The pistol speed is important for close range fights and getting more shots in.  At this stage of the game, your Firearms skill sucks, so save your shots for short to point blank to maximize your chances of hitting.  A couple well placed shots in a battle can help jump your Firearms skill up 5-10 pts at the beginning if it starts low enough.  I generally avoid melee in the middle of a big fight, since your skills will be low and attacks slow.  If you want to get into melee, do so against as few NPCs as possible.
* The main idea is to get yourself much needed XPs, levels, and get the bare bones going for weapons.

how do you get 50 Prussian fusiliers when you have no money? How do you sell loot when you can;t kill the huge mobs?

The Prussian Fusiliers?  That's probably because I'm also running a few submods for this mod also (Napoleonic add on).  I think that's where they're from, never tried basic Age of Blackpowder.

If you're starting alone, then recruit a few NPCs from nearby villages.  If you have Trainer, I suggest taking the time to get them levelled to the next tier at least before actually fighting.  Even after this, only go after the smallest NPC groups you can find.  Don't go for cavalry parties, because at the beginning you'll have trouble dealing with their mobility.  you'll have to move and look for the very small enemy groups.  Your number of troops will be small, and they'd be low quality troops to begin with.  Picking good defensive ground will be key, especially against any cavalry you encounter.  Good, high defensive ground will have your low quality soldiers last longer and have a chance on repelling cavalry, since cavalry sacrifice speed to get up steep inclines.  In general, go for small bandit groups at first.  Work your way up when you feel better overall about your group.

For character creation, I tend to favor my group over my own character's own fighting skills.  I tend to favor Charisma + Leadership over everything else in my character builds (weaponmastery important also).  Early on this will get you more troops on hand.  Put some points into Trainer (1-2) to better develop them in a shorter time span.

Back
Top Bottom