MP How to change: Angle to initiate thrust/overhead strikes and blocks

Users who are viewing this thread

Ltlurker

Recruit
Under GAMEPLAY as Mouse Vertical Movement Scale you can change the angles at which the game considers horizontal / vertical mouse movements, lower value = smaller vertical angles, higher value = larger

Yes it’s quite clear the melee is still wonky and in need of various tweaks (even 8 years wasn’t enough time to get something this integral right) but I haven’t seen anyone mention how ridiculously small the angle is for up/down strikes and blocks.

You can consistently strike left/right by swinging your mouse in either direction, even in a duel or groupfight when circle strafing your opponent is key, because there seems to be at least a 120 degree angle on either side for your mouse movement to initiate a left/right block or strike.

To initiate a thrust or overhead, however, you have to be extremely precise with your mouse and move it straight up/down on your mousepad because the angle is absolutely tiny - it feels like a 20-25 degree angle.

Add to this the intense movement and horizontal camera rotation necessary when in a melee brawl and it’s incredibly painful to consistently launch up/down strikes. If you use a very high sensitivity this might be less noticeable but it’s present nonetheless. And if you hold your mouse at a slight angle it‘s just not possible.

You should be getting hit and losing a fight because an enemy feinted you or got past your defenses, not because you read a thrust and moved your mouse down but, because you were strafing to the right or left and the angle of your mouse movement was 15 degrees off from a straight down vertical movement, you instead side block the enemy’s attack.

DEVS please make the angle for a vertical mouse movement to be recognized as an up/down strike or block much much larger. The controls should feel fluid and the system in place should not be fighting against you and turning your nearly vertical movement to perform an overhead into a side attack/block.

Last edited:
you can change this urself in the options

the overhead attack is extremely powerful, since it takes longer for the animation to block up (highest block delay imo) didnt test it though just a hunch

you can change this urself in the options

the overhead attack is extremely powerful, since it takes longer for the animation to block up (highest block delay imo) didnt test it though just a hunch

You can change the angle which the game considers your mouse movement to have initiated an overhead/thrust attack?

Where? Can you screenshot? That would be revolutionary.

I feel like I have had this problem too at some scale, but it's really hard to tell if the angle for overheard/stabs is actually smaller or some other factor that's throwing me off. I have certainly noticed I need to usually make conscious effort to block/attack up/down.

At the gameplay sheet in settings there is parameter that changes angle of attack/block directions. Default is 1.5 which means around 135 degrees goes to left and right swings/blocks and leaves 45 degrees to upper swing/thrust. Changing this parameter to 1 brings back balance to every directions is 90degrees. However if you reduce it below 1 the angles of upper/lower will increase.

It drove me nuts since beta tests and also didn't had a clue. I found out it quite short time ago here on forum, when it bothered me so much on duel server so I had To do something about it.

At the gameplay sheet in settings there is parameter that changes angle of attack/block directions. Default is 1.5 which means around 135 degrees goes to left and right swings/blocks and leaves 45 degrees to upper swing/thrust. Changing this parameter to 1 brings back balance to every directions is 90degrees. However if you reduce it below 1 the angles of upper/lower will increase.

It drove me nuts since beta tests and also didn't had a clue. I found out it quite short time ago here on forum, when it bothered me so much on duel server so I had To do something about it.

Holy crap you're right. It's under GAMEPLAY as "Mouse Vertical Movement Scale" for anyone else that finds this.

I had this turned way down as I thought it changed vertical sensitivity on a scale to horizontal sensitivity. Be nice if the setting's description could be clarified for people as tuning it makes A HUGE difference when turned up in facilitating up/down swings.

Thank you guys I would never have figured it out.

Back
Top Bottom