How long would it take to learn how to code?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hulagu Khan

Sergeant at Arms
Simple question, for those who are experienced in modding.

Im growing impatient with the revival of the Mongol Series, i dont have an official team yet and i know almost nothing about coding just mapping. I feel obligated to learn how to code to get the mod on it's feet faster.

approx how long would it take to learn how to be a good coder?

i know answers may vary, just trying to get a base here...

Actually, I'd say coding in M&B is pretty damn easy. You've got absolutely everything thrown in front of your nose (header_ files), almost every tuple looks the same "(stuff, [conditions block], stuff, [consuqences block])," and you'll understand it all when you just look at the code. Atleast I did.

I wouldn't say that coding is the most important part of M&B. Basically, models & textures are what make a mod. Anyone, even the most rookies can add new items and troops in-game. :smile:

If you've got anything to ask, just ask. :smile: I want to see that Mongol mod alive n' kickin'. :razz:

Well, when you are coding, there is always something new to learn.
How long it takes depends on what you deem as "learned to code".

Kongol Khan said:
Simple question, for those who are experienced in modding.

Im growing impatient with the revival of the Mongol Series, i dont have an official team yet and i know almost nothing about coding just mapping. I feel obligated to learn how to code to get the mod on it's feet faster.

approx how long would it take to learn how to be a good coder?

i know answers may vary, just trying to get a base here...
It depends on how much you want to learn.

I'd say a good coder is someone who can make new and edit existing items, units, scenes, towns and factions and some triggers without screwing it all up. Learning all that probably takes only a hour or two.

People seem to think that module system is super-duper hard, so that's why they use the Item editor, Troop editor, or don't look at neither of them at all. Actually, the M&B's module system is really easy. I mean like really. Just grab something to drink and relax, go through the Jik's Module System tutorial (which takes about a hour or two) and if you have done that, you'll know all what I mentioned earlier.

[quote author= Kongol Khan]approx how long would it take to learn how to be a good coder?[/quote]
So, to answer your question, it would take very little time to know all the basics you need to mod.

Anyone who is detail oriented with a leaning toward logic can learn or be taught to code in a relatively short time.  Learning to code well is another thing altogether.  I've had coworkers in the same role as I who in 20 years never learned the basics and students who picked stuff up fairly advanced stuff with incredible speed.

It took me about two calendar weeks to get to the point that I felt I could make whatever changes I wanted.  In that time I rewrote the autoresolver, evaluated the bulk of the OSP assets, built about half of my item converter in a new language (txt->CSV->tuples written in Ruby) and patched various bits of the compilation process to play nicer.  From roughly that point on, the limiting factor has been time.  Then again, I've been doing this kind of stuff for more than a decade.  YMMV.

If you just want to munge data like items and parties and whatnot, that stuff's all trivial if a bit tedious.  If you want to add/modify/remove functionality, then you're talking about logic and program flow which will take a bit longer, especially if you're not already experienced with it. 

Back
Top Bottom