How do we upgrade native troops without having a center ourselves ?

Users who are viewing this thread

unity100

Veteran
I acquired some native recruits, i want to upgrade them, but, when i go to any of that faction's cities or castles, it says "this center does not have any facilities to upgrade regular units here. none of your troops can be upgraded here"

i reach upgrade menu from marketplace -> upgrade your soldiers

and from castles

visit castle - upgrade your soldiers.

i want to be able to acquire native troops and upgrade them, and play the game as such, until i acquire castles/towns myself, and after. please let me know whether this is possible or not. i dont mind if this is considered a cheat.

'town has that building built' -> no town/castle in swadian faction seems to have any buildings as such built. will i be able to see the buildings listed, if i join swadians ?

and, is there any way to mod the files or something to make it possible to upgrade native troops without having to join a faction ? or needing buildings in the cities ?

i remember it was the case in sod 4 ?

I know native troops -SHOULD- be limited but...its hard to take castle with ntohing but hired blades and 4000 denar cost per attack for mercenaries.

I dont think allowing us to straight upgrade is a good idea, but perhaps the ruling lord of a castle/town can do so(to a limited number)

so, is there any way to make native troops upgrade ? without having to join a faction, or needing a building ?

I'm not trying to be rude (I don’t mind helping), but just in case you are not aware:

There is an In Game Guide you can access at anytime that allows you quickly find answers to all these type questions.  Go to Reports tab and then click on “Sword of Damocles In-game Guide”.  It will then open up to a few different tabs with categories.  There is also a little info on the developers there.

Alternately, take a look at the SoD Links Section and look for guides.  There are quite a few there if you want more information in order to tweak your game. 

i have read the in game guide you mentioned. its rather hard to miss. leave that aside, i had not only done 10-20 different searches using this taleworld forum's search utility, setting it both forum wide, or only board wide, and using not only phrases but exact quotes " " too. i wasnt able to find anything towards my problem. that didnt work, i used google and limited it to forum taleworlds com, and did 10-15 searches with different keywords again. read a lot of topics and skimmed numerous pages again. didnt work. then i made google searches net wide, hoping to find an answer internet-wide, thinking someone may have posted the question somewhere in gamespot or someplace else. no avail.

after a whole day of effort, i have come here to ask this question.

ps - i dont think i need to mention that i had read endless stickies not only here, but also in sod -warlords forum.

what i learned as a result of this topic so far is;

one needs to be member of a faction to upgrade native troops, ( unsure !?!?! or, does such upgrading need relations )
one cannot use or upgrade native troops once s/he has own kingdom,

what i really need to know is, however, whether it is POSSIBLE or not, to make upgrading of native troops like it is in vanilla.

i am a programmer myself, but before i jump in to tweak my own gameplay by learning the modding of these files to some measure, it is wise to actually know whether something is doable, or will break the mod itself or it is hardcoded or not.

unity100 said:
i have read the in game guide you mentioned. its rather hard to miss. leave that aside, i had not only done 10-20 different searches using this taleworld forum's search utility, setting it both forum wide, or only board wide, and using not only phrases but exact quotes " " too. i wasnt able to find anything towards my problem. that didnt work, i used google and limited it to forum taleworlds com, and did 10-15 searches with different keywords again. read a lot of topics and skimmed numerous pages again. didnt work. then i made google searches net wide, hoping to find an answer internet-wide, thinking someone may have posted the question somewhere in gamespot or someplace else. no avail.

after a whole day of effort, i have come here to ask this question.

ps - i dont think i need to mention that i had read endless stickies not only here, but also in sod -warlords forum.

what i learned as a result of this topic so far is;

one needs to be member of a faction to upgrade native troops, ( unsure !?!?! or, does such upgrading need relations )
one cannot use or upgrade native troops once s/he has own kingdom,

what i really need to know is, however, whether it is POSSIBLE or not, to make upgrading of native troops like it is in vanilla.

i am a programmer myself, but before i jump in to tweak my own gameplay by learning the modding of these files to some measure, it is wise to actually know whether something is doable, or will break the mod itself or it is hardcoded or not.

Dam, sounds like you do your research!

I may have to add a little more detail to the ingame guide.  There is also a couple of unfinished features with upgrading of some troops I noticed but haven’t completed my bug list yet. 

Here is what is in the guide (in-game guide is also located below post in main download page):
- To upgrade a native unit, one must travel to that factions territory and upgrade at their castle or town

I’ll add something that describes this…

Native Lords also upgrade their castles.  In the beginning, not many military buildings will have been constructed so access to elite Native troops is challenging.  Don’t worry though, there are plenty of mercenaries willing to fight for a foreign king until you can bring in some invaders... 

You do not have to be a member of that faction, but you cannot be at war with them.  If you are at war, you won’t have access to that menu.  However, if not at war just enter castle and click on upgrade. 

Cyclohexane said:
Dam, sounds like you do your research!

yes and that is sometimes a problem, like in this case. some stuff are better asked first than jumped in.

I may have to add a little more detail to the ingame guide.  There is also a couple of unfinished features with upgrading of some troops I noticed but haven’t completed my bug list yet. 

Here is what is in the guide (in-game guide is also located below post in main download page):
- To upgrade a native unit, one must travel to that factions territory and upgrade at their castle or town

I’ll add something that describes this…

Native Lords also upgrade their castles.  In the beginning, not many military buildings will have been constructed so access to elite Native troops is challenging.  Don’t worry though, there are plenty of mercenaries willing to fight for a foreign king until you can bring in some invaders... 

You do not have to be a member of that faction, but you cannot be at war with them.  If you are at war, you won’t have access to that menu.  However, if not at war just enter castle and click on upgrade.

so now, i am able to access the factions' upgrade menus in their towns and cities and i cant upgrade, because the cities and castles havent got these buildings built yet ? this is why i cant upgrade ? will i be able to upgrade when these buildings are built, later by AI lords in their own cities ?

at one point i suspected that, but it seemed unlikely. indeed it is necessary to have some stuff in the in game guide to clear that out. for i night i had loitered around trying to do missions for nobles to raise my faction standing etc thinking relations kept me from upgrading.

fyi, i cant upgrade native swadian recruits to ANYthing - leave aside going up to elite troops. upgrade menu is just off for me, and i am going about with 10-20 swadian recruits that have stars on their name on the right. (meaning better version without equipment i think).

is it possible to take native recruit upgrade, off of the requirement of needing buildings, in any way ? 

unity100 said:
will i be able to upgrade when these buildings are built, later by AI lords in their own cities ?
Yes.  And it won't take too long.  By the mid-game almost all cities have facilities for upgrading native troops.  It's a good system.  It's impractical to use native troops from a distant faction.

While where on the subject, about when do native lords(on avergaE) start finishing barracks/practice range/stables

1.5 month into game i started seeing them here and there.

also, can we turn invasion off, like it was in sod 4.x gold ?

Back
Top Bottom