How do i make holes with wings 3d?

Users who are viewing this thread

An4Sh

Count
I searched and didnt find any posts so dont flame me please.

Ive ben trying to make a Buster Sword for my friend and to increase my modelling skills, and i was successful at making the sword low poly, but the problem is my friend said that there are suppose to be holes in the blade  How do i make them?
Heres the model if anyone can help me:

If you mean holes in the body of the blade, you need to add faces to it. You can select the blade face through face selection mode, then switch to edge selection mode and click "cut" via the right mouse button menu, that will add some vertices you can play with and connect to add the faces. Once the faces are in, you can play with the vertices until you have the shape you want, then add "hole" material by selecting the face and choosing "material ->" through the right mouse button.

Also, bear in mind that this model is high poly and triangulated, but that's about what you want to make the holes. I didn't care about keeping this one low poly since it's meant to be a unique item for the mod. Note the hole materials in blue along the blade.

An4Sh said:
Cut two or how much?
Also keep in mind that i need two holes

That'll be up to your own taste, really, just remember to keep the fewer faces as possible, since that'll have to be triangulated when exported.

I see. Don't worry, though, you can download some of the weapon pack mods, or export the native ones, and start from there. Use the BRF Editor to export them and find one that has a blade with several faces. You can play around with existing ones until you're ready to make up your own. In order to avoid the cutting and connecting in the first place, you should avoid making the sword the regular way, like shown in tutorials, since that will give you a plain, two-faced blade, so the fast process slows you down later. The quicker step to make it is using a different shape as a base for the blade. It'll be easier for you to design the round hole that way, but it will have the downside of more polys, though. Add me to your MSN and you'll show you that, step by step.

Actualy i dont use the step by step tutorial, i just use my imagination!
i hope im not causing too much trouble  :oops: .

You can also model a flat sword with holes in them, select all, duplicate selection, reverse vertex order, and then extrude to the right side.

Changes the side the faces are pointing at, so you don't have both sides of the sword pointing to one side.

Raz said:
You can also model a flat sword with holes in them, select all, duplicate selection, reverse vertex order, and then extrude to the right side.

Yeah, he could also select the centre vertex and extrude it then dissolve, setting the hole material to the new face. I can't open the thumbnail though, is there an edge in the center of the blade? If so, that'd be quicker than starting from scratch.

EDIT: My MSN decided to play tricks on me again, so I'll try to be clear for once.  :lol:

You can try what Raz said, I didn't try it myself but I'm sure it works. You can also select the face of the blade and use the cut then the connect commands to add an edge (a single line) that runs in the middle, then cut again to add a few vertices (dots) along that line. Make sure you delete all unused vertices you add. To do that, after you cut, deselect the vertices you want to keep and press delete. After you have enough vertices along the middle line (each vertice will be a hole), you can select each one and extrude it, then press delete again. A couple new vertices will pop up and you'll have a new face. you can add the hole material to that face and also cut it to add more vertices, in case you want a round hole. There are faster ways to do this, but I think cutting will be easier for you to do. I removed the link to my sword since it doesn't have a flat blade, so that would just confuse you, try to do this instead, or what Raz mentioned.

An4Sh said:
Damnit i keep getting cracks from the face below the one i selected

I'm not sure what you mean by that. You have to do the extruding to both faces, by the way. You can make it simpler by doing it simultaneously, so you select the vertices in the upper face, and their relative ones in the lower one. That will give you two identical faces.

Nope I didn't log in yet, so I didn't receive your add message. For some reason I can't connect. I'll reinstall it today when I get back from work. This is the second time already.

EDIT: Ok, seems to be working now.

Actually, the easiest way to create a hole that punches through a solid polyhedron in Wings is to create two faces of equal vertex count on each side, select them and use "Bridge". Voila instant hole.

fisheye said:
Actually, the easiest way to create a hole that punches through a solid polyhedron in Wings is to create two faces of equal vertex count on each side, select them and use "Bridge". Voila instant hole.

Yep, I'm showing him how to make those two mirror faces.

EDIT: Sorry for the disco, An4sh, check your inbox.

Back
Top Bottom