Historical Viking TV series based on M&B VC ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

I apologize if this TV series is common knowledge around here, but maybe if just one person sees this thread who doesn't know...it's worth the post, right?

The TV series is called Vikings, produced by the History Channel. I had no idea it existed (I do not keep up well with mainstream media) but I watched the first episode - from wayback in 2013 - and was hooked. I have watched the entire 5 seasons (each 12+ episodes) over this past week. They are currently producing Part II of season 5 - so there is more to come! (thank the gods)

IMO, it is an amazing high quality production. Apparently, people say it is a little like Game of Thrones. Though, I have never been interested in Game of Thrones because it is fantasy.

Vikings on the other hand is based somewhat on historical accounts - revolving around the legend of Ragnar Lodbrok and his sons and their "adventures". Of course it is dramatized, so don't expect 100% authenticity. Please just look into it at least...if you think you may enjoy. Here is a trailer:

This show is really amazing! It's not an exact representation of the historical Viking figures but the series' story is close enough to it! I love this so much. It always gets me on the edge of my seat. Highly recommend it to all players of any Vikings related game!

Not far into it but I can recommend The Last Kingdom. It's more down to earth and has decent actors.

Agreed with Incas on The Last Kingdom. Wonderful show, and based on novels (Saxon Stories) that also inspired both the Warband and VC developers (the VC devs even added an Easter egg reference, Uhtred the Saxon as a tournament fighter)

I never watched Vikings, I did watch The Last Kingdom (Season 1 and 2). I quite like The Last Kingdom. I do believe Vikings and Last Kingdom are pretty different from each other.

Vikings, The Last Kingdom, and VC are all loosely based on the same collection of Norse sagas and Anglo-Saxon histories which give a general outline of the initial Viking raids, the Great Viking Army supposedly lead by the sons of Ragnar Lodbrok, and the eventual victory of Wessex over the invaders to establish England (before the Normans swept in and took it).

However, there is debate over whether or not a Ragnar Lodbrok actually existed, or if he's a fictional or semi-fictional figure to which several great raids and events were attributed. In this interpretation, the term "Sons of Ragnar" could be used figuratively, in that the Great Viking Army was not lead by Ragnar's actual family, just that they picked up where his character left off.

I guess to answer the question, no, Vikings and The Last Kingdom are not based off VC, but rather all three are different interpretations of what has sort of become the "standard Viking story".

Guys, my title was a silly joke. Of course Vikings was not based on M&B, all are based off of the ancient Viking legends.

While I'm here, I hope the Viking Conquest DLC producers are busy making Viking Conquest for Bannerlord. I need my historical North Sea fairing adventures in the new shiney BL engine! I really do.

Guys, my title was a silly joke. Of course Vikings was not based on M&B, all are based off of the ancient Viking legends.

While I'm here, I hope the Viking Conquest DLC producers are busy making Viking Conquest for Bannerlord. I need my historical North Sea fairing adventures in the new shiney BL engine! I really do.
Agree VC is awesome

Back
Top Bottom