Hiding Behind a Pavise Shield.

Users who are viewing this thread

NicotiN said:
I don't agree to this. I liked a lot medieval total war 2 and a lot of their troops can be used in game.
But a pavise shield is not welcomed here since this means a calavery unit has to destroy the shield or walk around it slowly and get head shoted by the crossbowmen or be invincible in sieges. Crossbow men can use height, rivers, slopes, infantery shield wall, heavy/light cavalery charge. Stop trying to make this game real:grin: it's fictional, playing medieval 2 is a better option
Some of us want the game to have some form of tactics instead of just spamming knights.

Agree. It would make all-cav armies less viable and infantry+sharpie armies more dangerous.

Whenever I play a crossbowman I have a Pavise on my back, and I turn around when I reload. The only problem is that the shield then tilts up, meaning my bum is all exposed to whatever the enemy chooses to poke in it. Which, I think, is not the idea by which the pavise was designed :wink:

Von_Lipwig said:
Agree. It would make all-cav armies less viable and infantry+sharpie armies more dangerous.

Whenever I play a crossbowman I have a Pavise on my back, and I turn around when I reload. The only problem is that the shield then tilts up, meaning my bum is all exposed to whatever the enemy chooses to poke in it. Which, I think, is not the idea by which the pavise was designed :wink:
Looks like someone dropped the soap.

I think making the Pavise act like a ladder or deployable shield in cRPG would be good, and adding a "Use throwing weps" button to make them deploy them would be one of the easiest ways to code it.
:neutral:

I Agree, this wil give a interesting twist to sieges and gererally on how you use your troops the tactical way! Thumbs up!

Winterwolf00 said:
NicotiN said:
I don't agree to this. I liked a lot medieval total war 2 and a lot of their troops can be used in game.
But a pavise shield is not welcomed here since this means a calavery unit has to destroy the shield or walk around it slowly and get head shoted by the crossbowmen or be invincible in sieges. Crossbow men can use height, rivers, slopes, infantery shield wall, heavy/light cavalery charge. Stop trying to make this game real:grin: it's fictional, playing medieval 2 is a better option
Some of us want the game to have some form of tactics instead of just spamming knights.

Try the Propeshy of pendor mode then, knights are't normal upgrade but a special one+are expensive+die fast from a halebarde or bolt or massive 2 handed or thrown weapon. Actually in Pop you are the weakest soldier in the battle comparing levels and weapon proficiency.
Pop can only be played by tactics since there is Vicky:grin: Ai and player troops are made formations at the begining of battles and can be used that way

Then again it really takes away the fun if you can just own everyone with cavalry. Me myself prefer to fight on foot and what fun is that when it doesn't matter what ground units you have, they'll still get butchered by the all mighty M&B cavalry.

One problem i see is that if told to hold position, the AI will drop an entire wall of Pavises infront of themselves, completely obscuring vision for the x-bows in the middle, this can be remedied by "Spread Out" though

I highly agree to this thread it would be cool if u could just plant the shield on ground and just shoot behind it it would be cool in multiplayer when u done shooting u could just take that again like a dropped item but if they would shoot ur shield to much it should break

it would make attacking castles easier  at the moment everyone including me just stand a round waiting for the dam tower to hurry up and we are being owned by the crossbowmen

add spikes on them so they can be used to stop cavalry from running you over all the dam time :mad:

NicotiN said:

Why would cavalry have to destroy it? surely a horses charge is enough to topple a shield...

A much simpler way is to turn around when you reload since the arrow hits the shield on your back( I think, it sometimes works for me). What the crossbowmen lack in reloading time they make up for in accuracy, the non expanding reticule, and its damage. The reason why longbowmen where so effective is because being able to fire way faster than a crossbowmen. The crossbowmen in-game reload wayyyy to fast so really who cares about a stupid shield for cover. Also pavises where mainly used in sieges so they could shoot at the ramparts without getting turned into a total pin cushion but most siege maps have the wooden wall for cover so I dont see the problem.

I sign this petition.  It should be deployable and retrievable, or simply allow it to be wielded same time as crossbow, when a stationary person fires his crossbow and begins reloading, he will first plant his shield, which stays for subsequent shots and reloads. If you begin to move your character simply picks it up, and places it next time you fire/reload stationary. Though the shield is equipped techinically, it will remain on the back until deployed. :smile:

i agree with this proposal and would segest this, leaving it open for historians to go off and look into it.

iplimenting this for pasive crossbowmen would be great, but i think having the option weather or not to pick up the cumbersome sheild after deploying it shoud be a choice, if the enemy are in close range tbh your not going to bother dragging your large sheild out of the dirt are you, your going to draw a sword or what ever other wepon to fight them.

but i think you could take the deploy sheild idea further. i belive archers also used shields to form defences in seiges, and i don't mean the preset stand behind here walls from multiplayer, if several players group together and deploy themseleves where they like it would be good, and ordering men to in single player is obviously good aswell.

but in the lines of deploying defences, perhaps giving archer/longbowmen the abbility to plant stakes infront of them, as they did at agincourt, and other such battles, giving them more strength over heavy cav, but ultimatly men on foot can pass through them.

The problem with this suggestion is the precise nature of the ''pavise''.
The ''pavise'' as shown in-game, isn't the ''true'' pavise that people are referring to (a small form of mantlet), and the precise uses of such shields have been debated back and forth for years now. The shield in-game in use with the Rhodok faction is more of an Italian-inspired 'tower shield', sometimes depicted in late Norman art well through to the 15th c.
The 'pavise' of the Genoese mercenary crossbowmen was actually not carried by the crossbowman himself- but his accompanying 'Mantletier'- this man would be equipped for hand-to-hand combat with medium armour, carry the shield and a spare crossbow. His job would be to site the mantlet/free-standing pavise, shelter behind it, and reload whichever crossbow -was not in use-, effectively doubling the 'firing rate' of the crossbowman. This also meant if the unit was suddenly charged that a heavy core of infantry could confront the enemy whilst the crossbowmen withdrew. Games like Total War have, unfortunately, turned this sensible mixed-arms strategy into a novelty unit, and people have tended to believe it- a nice illustration is in this picture of a Hussite crossbowman-
hussitecrossbowmanandshhf0.jpg
And another of a pair of reenactors doing it historically right-

For an expansion, especially one that covers a later date, then, yes, I can understand and empathise- but to make the system ''real'' and not just a flight of fancy, you'd need to program a script for a ''shield bearer'' (I already order my infantry to stand front and centre and shoot from behind them anyway). For the vanilla mid-13th century inspired dateline- no, this technology would be too late, really, but I WOULD like to see more Mantlets built into siege maps- scattered randomly at a distance from castle-walls, or even wheeled mantlets forced forwards as mini ''siege tower'' like scripted items with the attacking infantry.

Back
Top Bottom