[Help] Single Player Scening

Users who are viewing this thread

Ladnar

Knight at Arms
Got a question, but first some background.  I've made many scenes for various mods, but they've all been for multiplayer.  So I do have some experience in making scenes.  And the way I've always done this is through the multiplayer and pressing Ctrl+E.  Well now I'm trying to make scenes for a single player mod and I've heard that to make scenes for single player you have to be in single player.  If I'm mistaken please do correct me, but if you have answer then that would be much appreciated.

Anyways my question, is there a way to see what specific town/castle that I'm working on in-game?

For instance, I go to "Wercheg" or "Durrin Castle".  I edit the street/courtyard and siege scene.  Now I want to share my work with my fellow modders so they can therefore put the scenes in the mod.  Now how do I find or match up that specific castle/town when they're all given generic names in the Scenes text and ScenesObj folder like: "scn_twn_19_alley", "scn_castle_11_exterior", "scn_town5_walls"?

You can go into Module.txt, there is a line there that says: #You can change the following to 1 for ease in module development
show_party_ids_instead_of_names = 0. Change it to 0, then when you go back to singleplayer, Instead of saying Jelkala, it will say something like Scn_Town_3, something like that.  Did that make sense?

You don't have to be in SP to do SP scene editing, it's not an issue.  It does really really help to have a Scene editing suite set up, though, that lets you page through all the Scenes, if you're going to be working on a lot of them; there's a working example in the Blood and Steel source, ported over from some OSP code, that might be useful to you. 

The main difference between SP and MP scene work is that you really need to spend a lot of time on the AI mesh and other details, to make sure that the experience is reasonable when it's just one player and a lot of bots.

xenoargh said:
You don't have to be in SP to do SP scene editing, it's not an issue.  It does really really help to have a Scene editing suite set up, though, that lets you page through all the Scenes, if you're going to be working on a lot of them; there's a working example in the Blood and Steel source, ported over from some OSP code, that might be useful to you. 

The main difference between SP and MP scene work is that you really need to spend a lot of time on the AI mesh and other details, to make sure that the experience is reasonable when it's just one player and a lot of bots.

I have a Quick Scene Chooser set up.  And I've done a little work with AI meshes before.  But my problem I'm running into is with the castles right now.  Specificaly trying to find the difference between the siege scene and the "exterior" scene in the mod folders. (Nevermind, just found that they're the same.)

But if what you say is true and that I can continue making the scene through the multiplayer function then that's what I'll do.  But then how would I test a siege then?

Edit:  Would there be a reason that the elevation changes that I've made are not being saved?  The objects that I've placed are but not the elevations.  Could it be that because I'm editing through SP?

But if what you say is true and that I can continue making the scene through the multiplayer function then that's what I'll do.  But then how would I test a siege then?
Set up a character with million denars and Leadership / Engineering 10, buy a huge army by hopping around the map with Cheat Mode to buy up mercenaries, save and assault the darn thing?  That's my amazingly-low-tech method :smile:

I guess you could rig up a Mission Template to fake a siege assault scenario for testing purposes or whatnot, but meh, it's not a really big deal and after a while, you'll know what to do and not to do.

Would there be a reason that the elevation changes that I've made are not being saved?
If you're editing the Scene with Edit Mode and you haven't run out of memory or anything and there's nothing funky going on in terms of file permissions, then no, it should all get changed.  That said, I've found in the past that if you're working with big Scenes like castles, you need to make saves very frequently and make very sure that you're not having memory issues; when editing the Towns I usually have to go into DX7 mode and turn all of the textures down to minimum to free up enough memory for the Scenes to save correctly.

Back
Top Bottom