help dealing with in town ambushes

Users who are viewing this thread

Chair said:
i appreciate the initial responses. but to clarify.

i was level 19. ambushed by atleast 6. they were on me almost before i could get my shield up.
Err your not supposed to put your sheild upi your supposed to slice their ****ing bollocks off. Are you a new player becuase 6 mountain bandits isnt normally a problem for anyone who is used to foot combat.

Funny, I wish I was ambushed more often... I've been ambushed in the past, but never in 1.003. Level 22 with about a 58 men army... not a single ambush.

Using a shield to fight multiple opponents isn't going to help. Back-pedalling won't either. Just run in there and kill them all. Twohanders/polearms aren't useless as they do far better damage than one handers on foot and have better range. In a town encounter you don't really need a shield at all as there's so many obstacles to use to hide from archers. Remember to use the obstacles to help you get away from large groups of enemies and to fight them from favourable locations such as chokepoints.

Basically just get better at foot combat and remember to use obstacles. The only real problem can be if you have to attack archers without enough obstacles to get you close to them and you have no shield.

Also lol, they only happen from evening to dawn.

Chair -

My advice

Shield and Throwing Axe

Thrown weapons are fantastic in close quarters

Works wonders for me

- Livonya

Chair said:
and against 6-7 guys who are faster than me, swinging at different times, there is no way to get a hit in, and eventually they will break through all of my shields(i carry atleast 2 high quality shields just for dealing with these ambushes) i don't care what difficulty i'm on, im toast.

This tells me you may be being too defensive.

The key to soloing against bad odds is to kill them fast. Kill the nearest one, move, repeat.

Dragon13 said:
In mount&blade time, 400+ days...and ive NEVER been ambushed at morning-dusk. or evening, but that is possible if it says the honest folk have abandned the streets thing...

same here, i have no problem with these guys, just another 200-300 denars in the pocket, and i use a twohander, just sidestep a lot and always go for the archers first.

the question arises though, where the hell are the guards (since i spawn next to the gate of the keep, surely the keep, the residence of the lord will be guarded, i'm sure a prison guard, castle guard and two soldiers could deal with half a dozen poxy bandits) plus it would only make sense for your companions if not some of your army to enter the city with you and act as bodyguards, i know if i was in such a position of power i would bring some thugs into a city with me, just in case i find a likely wench...

Tzsak said:
Using a shield to fight multiple opponents isn't going to help. Back-pedalling won't either. Just run in there and kill them all. Twohanders/polearms aren't useless as they do far better damage than one handers on foot and have better range. In a town encounter you don't really need a shield at all as there's so many obstacles to use to hide from archers. Remember to use the obstacles to help you get away from large groups of enemies and to fight them from favourable locations such as chokepoints.

Basically just get better at foot combat and remember to use obstacles. The only real problem can be if you have to attack archers without enough obstacles to get you close to them and you have no shield.

Also lol, they only happen from evening to dawn.

I disagree...

sometimes they ALL have shields bows and start aiming as soon as the ambush starts.
If the 1st arrow hits and stops you for a moment it can mean that the rest of them will follow suit.
Sometimes there aren't such obstacles nearby and just strafing fast won't do the trick.
No shame in letting your shiled get 1 or 2 arrows before you find cover.
:roll:

These instances always make me uppity. Always knew I shouldn't have let Borcha talk me into leaving my nag with the group.... I'm gong to shove my shiny metal boot so far into his--
Where was I?
Oh yes. Why don't I have my horse?! D8
Although, if I'm in a particularly realistic mood I won't F4 them to death.
When I do play like a good honest player, the 6-7 guy on me is devastating and I never come out of it alive. Guess I'll take some of these hints and do a little roof hopping. Although, I found out a pretty big no-brainier the other day. High athletics + mid run stripping = moving faster. :grin:

Never found them such a big problem. I use a scimitar, a shield and throwing weapons.

Only got problem sometimes when there is forest bandits.

The only reason I keep cheats turned on is the ambushes.

The villages are most of the time easy and fun especially the ones when the bandits spawn far away altough I have found at least one village where you spawn in the middle of a field and ALL the bandits spawn in front of you, in my case 7 archers, not fun.

The towns are another story, some of them are great but sometimes the bandits spawn so close to you that even the ranged ones change immediately to melee, in one of the northern towns (Tihr?) one of the bandits always spawns practically in striking distance! so you get mauled to the ground before you can even draw your weapon.

The whole conception is stupid, if Im a wealthy merchant and I have uber companions and a powerful army than why the hell should I EVER walk in a dark street ALONE???

At the moment if you have a fighter character you will do well in ambushes, if you try to roleplay a merchant/commander than every time you plan to enter a town/village at night you must change your every day equipment to lighter armor and you must equip a short one-hander since plate+lance+no athletics=you WILL get mobbed and beaten.

I kinda like it.

Reminds me of the old Sword of the Samurai game where sometimes you'd just be sleeping in your castle and OMGWTFNINJAS.

1st of all - they appear only between dusk and dawn(including). It's possible to be light, light in dusk case.

I also think they attack only when you're injured(might be wrong, but that's how it always happened to me). I've lost 10k denars because they caught me with 5 hp and a lucky arrow got in; was irrelevant, since what they take from you is % - at that time I had over 300k, so losing 10k didn't matter. But anyway, sometimes you'll lose, that's for sure. At least on max. settings. If you have close to 0 hp, 1 lucky hit and that's it.

what you do:

1st thing, you're in the menu and you notice a small lag from loading. Immediately, prepare to mouse wheel down to get the shield out. Then mouse wheel up to get your sword out.

you're a cavalryman, so probably in heavy armor. Athletics help, no doubt, but you won't outrun them by much given the ton of metal you're carrying. Also, athletics don't work when you backpedal(you do it same speed, regardless of athletics).

Backpedal to the 1st corner, so you get rid of the archers. I use bastard sword, but that's a matter of preference. Anyway, all I do is side swings; no thrusts(which btw. - works crappy when you backpedal). Trying usually for a left to right swing, so I hit the shield less.

Avoid higher ground - I use a board shield, but if you're somewhere above them, they'll "hit your legs" or something like that. Try to stay on even ground. Keep your shield up and swing when you have the chance, but be patient - don't push your luck, the shield probably will hold, so stay cool.

Be careful not to mouse wheel up to take up your jousting lance instead of the sword; it ain't groovy when on foot :razz:

Keep the sword/whatever 1hander in the 1st slot of the inventory.

Find a newly spawned group of 6-8 bandits somewhere, save, keep reloading, set your troops on hold, go and try to fight them on foot for some practice.

Contrary what most say here, I consider the wall to be my friend and backpedal too. Just make sure you're careful and don't allow them to surround you(quick jump or run through them, even eating a hit, but don't get surrounded). Even with manual blocking, a board shield won't let anything getting through as long as you're in a corner and they can't surround you, but be careful and patient and swing only when you have the chance. After you dealt with the melee, go in the face of the archers and force them to melee you. If you have a bow, you can take them at the distance since you probably aim much better/have higher stats so do much more dmg/have higher armor so you can soak up while they can't.

How can this be hard?I play a  charismatic character(means high charisma,medium intellegence,low strenght,agility) and the ambushers are always just walking moneybags.Just use your brain,take a one handed axe or a balanced nordic sword.And don't the bandits spawn scattered a bit(in the places where guards were)?

Skit said:
How can this be hard?I play a  charismatic character(means high charisma,medium intellegence,low strenght,agility) and the ambushers are always just walking moneybags.Just use your brain,take a one handed axe or a balanced nordic sword.And don't the bandits spawn scattered a bit(in the places where guards were)?
It could be hard if all of them jump on you at same time, not to mention max difficulty. A good armor and weapon in this situation should help a lot.

Skit said:

No, sometimes they all spawn in front of you so they all are on you within 1-2 second.

duracell said:
Skit said:

No, sometimes they all spawn in front of you so they all are on you within 1-2 second.

What kind of eqiupment do you use?

I'v never been spawn camped by more than 2 bandits in an ambush, the rest always appeared a good distance away, chop, chop head for cover, I don't carry a shield. Early game I do not enter villages/shops when it's dark or just dawn. Barring that I'v never really paid any attention to ambushes, they were just walking money bags as has already been stated. Only thing I can suggest is whatever way your character is designed you must be able to 1 hit kill up to atleast mid level units and always have a ranged attack.
Perhaps 6+ spawn camping only happens in some places? where did you get mobbed?

Too bad we can't escape when we try to infiltrate now... It would be cool if you had 2 options (when you fail to infiltrate using stealth)

1) Fight. if you manage to kill the guards, you can infiltrate the city.

2) Escape: Escape through an exit and run for the hills. If you do that you get to try again.

Back
Top Bottom