Hearts of Iron IV (Release June 6th)

Users who are viewing this thread

Good God, having to spawn a whole new faction just to create a civil war! :facepalm:

Anyone knows how to **** around with the country tags? According to the wiki civil war factions get new tags or IDs or something, maybe I can use that...

There's a subreddit about modding HoI4, I know because I'm trying to figure out how these texture files for terrain work. Trying to turn the entire map flat with simple colors, like a strategic map if you've ever seen one (As far as HoI will allow). I already found a great mod that restricts terrain textures only to provinces where they are relevant, so no more overspilling and so on. Iran for instance is greatly improved. Hell, here's the link. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=957111624

After playing Black Ice for HoI4, I've come to realize the importance of terrain, so things like that are very useful.

Captured Joe said:
Anyone knows how to **** around with the country tags? According to the wiki civil war factions get new tags or IDs or something, maybe I can use that...
So, after getting some help on the PDX forum and ****ing around with the files some more, I finally got it to work! Now king Michael can make Romania switch sides again! :party:
Shameless self-advertising goes here.

dJkju.png

I need to figure out how these normal maps or whatever work, and find out why colors that are even a bit darker turn almost black. In addition I need to figure out better colors for all the terrains, mainly adjusting the desert, turning marshes more blue, and so on.

EDIT. Alright, I think I'm on to something now.

AUZ6e.png

I could use some feedback, do you think the map is more useful like this etc. I still need to edit the terrain so that jungles and forests use different base textures, since they have different effects.

Whats the fastest way to sink the British navy as Germany?

I attacked Poland in -40, starting the world war, I was by myself at this point with no allies other than Slovakia. I took out Poland, proceeded to flank the Maginot through Benelux as you do, but now the war is at a stalemate. The only remaining threat in the Allies is Britain and the rest of the Commonwealth I suppose, and the war has deteriorated into massive aerial battles over the Channel, where I periodically send my Kriegsmarine, manage to sink a couple of British battleships or cruisers, while losing my destroyers and taking enough damage that I have to retreat to lick my wounds. It's now 1942, and I've made very little progress. I did manage to stage a naval invasion at one point, but it was repelled.

Best I cant think to do is researching rockets and bombarding the British industry to ****, but I feel like there has to be a better solution to this.

Comrade Temuzu said:
Whats the fastest way to sink the British navy as Germany?

landed air force is cheaper, if you can win the air battle. If you cant then you need to use your own fleets, for that check the official forum/reddit for balanced numbers (how many carriers/LC/DD/...) makes the best formation (for the current game version). This changes over time and with patchs and all that, back when I was playing you would want 4 carriers, LC and DD (no need for cruisers and battleships). Again, dont use a old guide on this, best to check what works now.

Don't bother with Royal Navy in 1v1. You can just build Super-heavies but it would be a hidrance to build all those dockyards. Gain air superiorty, after that point you can just bomb those ships or naval bases.

Yeah, after finally winning the air war their numbers started sinking real fast. As for naval compositions, Ive been searching for a few days to find out what the current meta is, havent found much yet, I've still been going with the "build nothing but battleships and cruisers" meta, but I've started building other types too, mostly to counter subs and so on.

When they add rally points to CK2 after 6 years had passed over release, it's confirmed that Paradox never intended to make a full game at release. Fuel and other supplies should be seperated from each other since very first release. After 2 years they noticed it was not a good idea to oversimplify those things, good job. :meh:

Its almost like the German AI is totally incapable of taking on the USSR in any way. To be fair it's hard to recreate the exact historical circumstances that allowed the Germans to do what they did but still. Germany declares war on the Soviets by 1940 usually and gets raped. Not a fun game.

Well, if they would implement this kind of supply stuffs as food, ammunition and fuel it would be possible. They decided as producing weapon would be enough to simulate logictics in WW2 but the problem is it's not like infantry divisions eat Mausers in their meal. It is a dumb mechanic. One thing that changes the way of war was logistics, and the last thing you would do is pretending that it can be oversimplified.

DYSTOPIAN said:
Germany declares war on the Soviets by 1940 usually and gets raped. Not a fun game.
On the German AI's behaviour, I think it's linked to the fall of Poland and France, which so far in all my games with historical focuses on always happens in 1939, which means they'll have an earlier opportunity to attack the USSR.
At this point they'll have fewer allies too, since Romania has to do quite a few focuses to become fascist and join the Axis now (and they are hugely important for Barbarossa). What's more, since Cornflakes these focuses are, frankly speaking, BROKEN. They don't swith Romania to a fascist government anymore, meaning AI Romania will take MUCH longer to become an ally of Germany. Now when Barbarossa starts off early, it'll most of the time occur long before AI Romania will join Axis or even turn fascist with historical focuses on, significantly weakening the Axis. Also since Cornflakes, Finland is being turned communist early every game with historical focuses on, securing the Russian north flank. It's all a big mess.

On the Finland bit, that happened to me in my recent Germany game. I had taken Norway and was getting ready for Barbarossa, but now I had to also deal with a northern flank consisting of Soviet Finland on that front. It is indeed a mess.

Now is as good a time as any to check in and ask: Is the game still terrible or should I buy it?

Most complaints I've seen seem to be about the AI, which would be a bit of a deal breaker if its particularly dumb.

While I was playing a bit of HoI3, I realized that HoI4 completely abandoned the Strategic Effects. So I figured that they would be quite simple to add back in, to some extent. I started with the Polish Corridor effect, in HoI3 for Germany it provided
Code:
Naval Organisation 0.05
Supply Throughput 0.05
and since neither of those exactly exist in HoI4, I went with
Code:
Fleet Coordination +5%
Division Attrition -2.5%
Supply Consumption -2.5%
instead. I got the event and idea working, just need to tinker a bit with the trigger or the event so it only fires when Danzig is occupied, and make another event to remove the idea if Danzig is lost. I also intend to make another version of this for Poland, so that only Germany and Poland can earn this Strategic Effect.

95Tof.png

Once I get this one "strategic effect" working, it should be a matter of a lot of copy-paste to create new ones. I intend to keep the bonuses they give fairly small, but considerable enough that the player would feel like they accomplished something, you know? I'd like some feedback on the custom images, as in the event picture and the idea icon, I feel like Paint.net is starting to run out of steam considering what I need it to do.

Back
Top Bottom