head rotation/weapon carry location question

Users who are viewing this thread

thick1988

Master Knight
Weird question.

So I'm working on trying to implement a helmet known as a Great Bascinet which would be attached to the shoulders via rivets or some sort of fasteners. The wearers head wouldn't really be able to rotate much apart from rotating in the helmet itself.
large_orig_drawing_knight_arundel.jpg

When I try to do this on my models obviously the head rotating on the skeleton causes clipping and looks like the whole bevor, gorget, etc comes off and twists about with the wearers head movements. Is there any way to keep the wearers head in a static position in relation to the body?

Simple answer: no, short of changing all of the animations to prevent heads from turning (which would look rather bad).  You should probably rig the lower parts of the mesh to the neck or torso so that it's not as obviously clipping- yeah, metal doesn't flex like that, but it's better than obviously going through things.

I know this isn't on topic but do you know any way to change the "optional carry location" for where weapons are placed when not in use? I know you can change it to certain preset locations, like dagger_front_left etc. but what about editing them? For example the sword usually is on the left hip but is rotated so that extends way out back though as opposed to straight down along the leg, which was more realistic because in battle, or anywhere really, you wouldn't want the scabbard hitting everything.

Looks good. The chainmaille pattern at the bottom looks pretty stretched and you could probably overlay a cloth pattern on the tabard, but that's a good one.

Mandible said:
Looks good. The chainmaille pattern at the bottom looks pretty stretched and you could probably overlay a cloth pattern on the tabard, but that's a good one.

How would you prevent stretching of the chain mail? I didn't think there was any way to really do that.

The tabard has a cloth pattern, that picture is taken without normal mapping. Just specular mapping.

Back
Top Bottom