StudentCoder

Recruit
After the other thread went into the trash here the new one :

download : <link removed>

how to use :

- unpack both files in your m&b directory right near the m&b exe
- start m&b exe, the shader is automatically loaded
- press "h" the toogle the hdr effect

- to uninstall, simply delete the 2 files.

to make the hdr effect brighter or darker : open fakehdr.fx(the name is, because its 8bit and hdr is 16/24bit) with any editor.
change the line
"static const float HDRScale = 0.000;"
to maybe
static const float HDRScale = 5.000;
to get it darker and
static const float HDRScale = -3.000;
to get it brighter.

known issues :

- only works with shader 2.0 or higher
- the game will crash on exit or alt+tab, but thats not really a problem i think.
- huge performance hit(on single core CPUs only)
- in some situations there is no hdr effect at all, maybe i can fix this, but then you also got hdr in menus
- biggest issue : hdr also effects hud. This can never be fixed :sad:
- m&b may not load with this after the splash screen(reported here, not noticed by me)

sample picture :

1hdr3iw.jpg

plz tell me if you like it or not.

okiN said:
Please just go away. You're not welcome here.

Who was that to?

Oh, and after the first time, which worked amazingly, it stopped working and mount and blade wouldn't load. the splash screen came up, but when you click play the game, it doesn't. I've just deleted the files so M&B will work, but still, it's annoying because it was really good.

did it crashed when you quitted game first time ?

dont understand why it hangs, but thats possible, its definatly not stable.

i will edit it in first post.

No, it didn't crash first time.

First time, it worked. I quit to do something else, and when I tried to play again, it wouldn't.

okiN said:
Please just go away. You're not welcome here.
okiN - he has withdrawn his request for a license key.  He is now only interested in sharing his code, and getting feedback.

I locked his first thread, and suggested he post here.  He has complied. I have discussed it with him via PM, and as long as he is not trying to obtain a license, I see no reason not to allow him to post.  Some folks may find value in what he has done.

DE

Deus Ex said:
okiN - he has withdrawn his request for a license key.  He is now only interested in sharing his code, and getting feedback.

I locked his first thread, and suggested he post here.  He has complied. I have discussed it with him via PM, and as long as he is not trying to obtain a license, I see no reason not to allow him to post.

That doesn't mean I have to like him.

Deus Ex said:
Some folks may find value in what he has done.

Shockingly enough, you appear to be right. Anyway, I've spoken my piece. My work here is done.

leprechaun said:
No, it didn't crash first time.

First time, it worked. I quit to do something else, and when I tried to play again, it wouldn't.

that may be the problem.

normale it SHOULD crash, to unload it from the memory, thats why it wont load another time i think.

you'll may test it again and afterwards look press ctrl+alt+f4 and look if you see the m&b exe(should be between 100 and 300mb of memory). If yes, end it, your ram is free and it should start again.

ah yes.. could the senseless posts plz be deleted ? i think not, right ? hmm, kay.

This reminds me of the fake HDR for Oblivion, for the poor ones who dont have shader 3.0 :razz:

Maybe I will test this, if I play m&b the next time. Which might take some time of course.

But not bad to see such work even for M&B now.  :razz:

Oh and the file seems to be very similar to the one from oblivion. :wink:

And after I read his first post about this. I dont understand why anyone would be that hostile against him...  :razz:

okiN said:
Deus Ex said:

I locked his first thread, and suggested he post here.  He has complied. I have discussed it with him via PM, and as long as he is not trying to obtain a license, I see no reason not to allow him to post.

That doesn't mean I have to like him.

I never said that you did :wink:

DE

Lu Bu said:
And after I read his first post about this. I dont understand why anyone would be that hostile against him...  :razz:

Seriously, it's people like those that make me avoid participating in forums. They feel they can say whatever they want, protected by the anonymity they get from staying behind their computer screens. Comments and replies like these ones from oKiN just make me feel sad for that kind of people. Is it to increase post count? To feel whatever little crap they say makes them important or any better than others?

As specified in StudentCoder's first post he's not begging or anything, just making an offer, and it's up to Amarand to listen(if he cares), to apraise the situation, the offer(and I bet he can do that on his own,and I also bet he can tell wether someone wants to trick him or not) and to make up his mind, on his own. Why not do like sneakey pete, leprechaun, Lu Bu, and post something useful, or even Cataphract, since they all are just expressing their views and opinions? Why acting like jeansberg and Cymro, or even oKiN, getting rude, mean, and not even pondering on the real matter at hand.

Expressing my own point of view, I think StudentCoder's interests in helping improving the game should be commended, and encouraged so others might do the same, asking for something in return or not. If what is offered is worthy of a key or not it's up to Armand, and/or whoever else is into the development of the game.

By the way, good work on getting hdr semi functional on M&B StudentCoder, with some further tweaking from the devs, I'm sure it'd look even better.

Hmm... I start it up, then the program closes, and Norton Antivirus starts to scan the file. Suspicious?

>> with some further tweaking from the devs, I'm sure it'd look even better.

definatly, but what you see here is the best function you can get from outside the game, if you want to play with acceptable frames.

>> Sorry, still doesn't work.

dont know then... nobody else here who tried it ? 17 downloads but only one comes here again :sad:

>> Oh and the file seems to be very similar to the one from oblivion.

the shader is actually nearly the same(who wonders, its a common hdr after effect one), but the way to implent is an other.

>> Hmm... I start it up, then the program closes, and Norton Antivirus starts to scan the file. Suspicious?

it is, really, as is said in last thread, this shader goes a trojan way. It uses an other d3d9.dll to execute code(the shader.fx file) that normally would never been executed. But its actually the only way without sourcecode. you can turn off norton, its really secure, there are similar other shader effects done by the same method for many other games.

edit : when it only crashes or some other crazy stuff happens, plz let me know which graphics card you are using.

I tested it and it works more or less. Sometimes it just stops to show any effect (under things for example) Also on the start its so bright you cant see anything at all, then its scaling down. But i think thats what you meant anyway.
Just played 3 mins so I dont know if i missed something...

calandale said:
Damn. Given that the thing works like a trojan, I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole. You have guts Lu Bu.

Actually, any of the mod installer .exe files that you've downloaded could have contained a virus or worm or other random malware...

I'm sure I'm not the only guy who runs programs as admin while installing mods...  :oops:

Yeah. I actually like the zip format better. I do run virus scan on all .exe files, but you never really know....

The point with this is that it shouldn't make it through the virus scan (which someone mentioned).

>> Sometimes it just stops to show any effect

yes, thats when the some stuff happens,like speaking with someone. I can't do anything to avoid this from outside.
Also the fade is only when starting the game and will never come again, so this should really not be a problem.

>> The point with this is that it shouldn't make it through the virus scan (which someone mentioned).

its no virus or something inside, it also don't act like a virus UNTIL 1 moment when its executed. That's the point where your virus scanner may complain, but as i said, it only executes the hdr code with this and does NOTHING else. It also unloads fully after quitting m&b.

if you run a virus scan BEFORE starting m&b or afterwards it will never be scanned, of course, cause it's not like a real trojan.

anyway, you know fraps or the fps shown by omega drivers for ati or any screen capture software ? They act 100% the same way ! nobody would call them trojan :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom