Havok fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Tul

Knight
Here's a video I made today using new Havok system in Warband. I hope you'll like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36GRtjwkFK0

Awesome. Is the projectile also a dynamic object? If you don't mind me asking how did you "fire" it as such. I'd love to implement as much physics as possible into Pirates! but I've not looked over it yet.

How did you add velocity to the cannon ball? position_move_blabla ?

Awesome, btw.

GetAssista said:
Exciting!
I hope that some day we would have computers able to run this w/o lag :smile:

Actually, I tested this stuff and my old, crappy computer was able to run around ~300 dynamic props (possibly more) without too much lag.

And to think that there are computers with ~4gb ram, ~1gb GDDR5 video cards (even in SLI or CrossFire) and Intel i7 980 processor...  :razz:

wow man that made me dream for a second ... .. about seeing catapult partially destroye a keep / killing people ( for sure block need to hold more then these boxes...) or seeing a ram crushing rought the main gat ... or having balista on te battlefiel HAving someone creating a mode with those units would be simply epic

Yoshiboy said:
Is the projectile also a dynamic object? If you don't mind me asking how did you "fire" it as such. I'd love to implement as much physics as possible into Pirates! but I've not looked over it yet.
Cannon ball is a normal scene prop which is animated via script. All the cannon staff comes from old M&B, all I had to do in Warband was to spawn a bunch of boxes.

How did you add velocity to the cannon ball? position_move_blabla ?
As I previously mentioned it is a normal scene prop, it doesn't have physics. However you can add velocity to dynamic object using 'position_move_blabla' and animating it. The only problem is that such an object will fly forever disobeying gravity until it hit something.

I hope that some day we would have computers able to run this w/o lag
There was 512 boxes and it wasn't so demanding. Lag appeared due to movie recording, there was also more then 150 agents on the scene. What is more the movie was taken in slowmotion which means that boxes positions weren't updated in every frame.

wow man that made me dream for a second ... .. about seeing catapult partially destroye a keep / killing people ( for sure block need to hold more then these boxes...) or seeing a ram crushing rought the main gat ... or having balista on te battlefiel HAving someone creating a mode with those units would be simply epic
Killing people with artillery was possible in old M&B. The cannon that you saw in video was running on 1.010 and its a deadly tool.
Destructive walls - hmm, I think we can add hit points to wall object (included in WB), check intersection with cannonball (cannot be done precisely however) and when it falls down to 0 replace it with a bunch of spawned debris objects (included in WB). The only problem is that we don't have any tools for controlling havok parameters so it would be a very light debris. But it is just a theory and I don't know if it is possible to achieve good results.

Unless the castle is edited so that the brick that form the wall can be detached on impact  but their gravity has to be high enought so that the whole wall doesnt explode in oen shot ... also for the mediaval siege someone would need to mode a kind of catapult with physic on the rock  I think is "possible" im personally Im more a dreamer/designer the a scripter/programmer ..

Tul said:
The only problem is that such an object will fly forever disobeying gravity until it hit something.
That's not a problem ofc. Adding vertical g acceleration is easy, and position_set_z_to ground_level helps determine if it hit the ground. The real problem is that you can't register if it hits static scene props by proper collision mesh applying, and AFAIK it's still not there in WB

Tul said:
The cannon that you saw in video was running on 1.010 and its a deadly tool.
One question. A bit off-topic, but still... How did you make the player to "use" the cannon, I mean, how do you make the player to stop controlling himself, move the view to the back of the cannon (mission_cam_set_mode?), etc.?

Good Job Tul :smile: I asked Armağan for scene_prop_dynamics_enable/disable bu he didn't had time to implement it :sad: I wish props had weight :razz:

Back
Top Bottom