Have you considered being an Organ Donor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kharille

Knight at Arms
I figure if I ever get into this I'll probably get a tattoo.  Barcode maybe or something serious.  What I saw on google image search wasn't encouraging.  I'm sure if I can't use it maybe someone else can, just I still feel disturbed by it.

So do you have one of those cards?  Are you actively promoting to friends and family that you have an alternative purpose and that they should give up rescuscitation  resuscitation if you're veggied or that you do not want to be robocop?

I'm in no rush to die, but don't much buy into the spooky stories of how doctors will purposefully let you die if you're a donor. If some part of me can help someone else after I no longer need it, then more power to them. I'm registered or whatever the term is. Got the little heart on my ID and all, and a disturbing amount of people seem blown away by the concept. Like, my sister is against it just because it's icky or some ****, and I've heard that line of thought elsewhere. What does it matter if I'm dead and can still help someone? I wouldn't care if some dude's heart was icky if I needed a new one.

EDIT: Where are you from that you'd consider getting a tattoo or something? Here they just asked me if I wanted to be one when I went to the local government office to get an ID made and I answered accordingly. That was the extent of the interaction.

I'm in Hong Kong.  Its not compulsory, but I figure a bar code or maybe some legal text might work.  Maybe on each limb but a bar code would be more discreet.  ****, maybe even a really good 3D bar code could probably contain a 400 word legal text if someone bothered.  You should try playing around with those 3D bar code translators....

http://goqr.me/

Why would you need barcodes though? You don't really pick to donate specific organs, and limbs aren't taken, they want your eye lens and kidneys and such.

Kharille said:
Are you actively promoting to friends and family that you have an alternative purpose and that they should give up rescuscitation  resuscitation if you're veggied or that you do not want to be robocop?
"Do not resuscitate" isn't related to organ donation.

I thought medicine was good enough they could donate almost everyting.  Blood, limbs, faces, bone marrow....  Not sure if you can get signatures through 3D bar codes but it might smooth the process.  And multiple bar codes in case you had a really bad accident.  They might take too long trying to identify the body.

TheFlyingFishy said:
If some part of me can help someone else after I no longer need it, then more power to them. I'm registered or whatever the term is. Got the little heart on my ID and all
Same here. When I signed up to get my driver's licence, there was an extra section where I could sign and check a box if I wanted to be a donor. I signed it. I know my mom's got "organ donor" written on her licence, too, and my dad said he thinks his has as well. We're not boastful about it or anything; we don't really talk about it at all tbh. I just figure that if I'm out driving someday and I **** up or get hit by a drunk or something, my organs aren't going to do me any good if I'm dead. If they can be put to good use and help someone else, though, so much the better, and if that happens, at least some good will have come out of the situation.

Kharille said:
I thought medicine was good enough they could donate almost everyting.  Blood, limbs, faces, bone marrow.... 
Human limb/face transplants are still extremely rare, full of complications, and don't have huge waiting lists. Kidneys, livers, tissues etc are always in high demand, and are bound to be used.
Not sure if you can get signatures through 3D bar codes but it might smooth the process.  And multiple bar codes in case you had a really bad accident.  They might take too long trying to identify the body.
Why would bar codes smooth the process? Currently, they identify your body (using your driving license/id, which you probably had on your person at the time, especially if you were killed in a car accident), zoom it to the hospital, and harvest your delicious insides. It's fairly straightforward.

Now theres a thought.  Imagine one day they manage face transplants well.  Next you know, the guy gets your girlfriend as well...  Just thinking out loud, might make the news one day....

Maybe your driving licence was destroyed, along with your teeth and they can't identify the body parts....

Kharille said:
Maybe your driving licence was destroyed, along with your teeth and they can't identify the body parts....
If your body is so bad it cannot be identified, your organs are probably not in any useful condition.

Insurance providers are required to send out the forms and such every now and then over here. Or maybe that was only planned? Mine holds itself to it in any case.
As such I have three of those cards in my wallet at the moment :lol:

A tattoo does not - and cannot - replace a signature. A person must appear in a central register having given consent to the transplant.
Taking an organ from a dead person with a tattoo is illegal. Speaking of illegal...

About 5-10% of transplants are obtained illegally, and global criminal networks make large amounts of money trafficking organs,
either from live donors (slaves) or facilitating the trafficking. The amount is unknown of course. Especially children - and then women - appear to be victims.
Then there's organ tourism where wealthy people buy organs from poor people. An Indian man might sell a kidney for a few thousand dollars,
which the hospital then resells for many times that amount.
With the expertise and medical equipment becoming gradually available in poor countries, organ trafficking is expected to rise further.

http://www.osce.org/cthb/103393?download=true
https://www.unodc.org/documents/human-trafficking/2015/UNODC_Assessment_Toolkit_TIP_for_the_Purpose_of_Organ_Removal.pdf

More than 100 illegal kidney transplants were performed at St. Augustine Hospital in South Africa in 2001 and 2002; most of the recipients came from Israel, while the donors were from eastern Europe and Brazil. The police investigation in Brazil and South Africa revealed the existence of an international organ trafficking syndicate.9 These cases may involve human trafficking for the purpose of organ transplantation.

In China, around 12 000 kidney and liver transplants were performed in 2005. Most of the transplant organs were alleged to have been procured from executed prisoners...

In several instances, newspaper articles have reported the deaths of patients who went abroad for overseas commercial transplants; the abuse, fraud and coercion of paid kidney donors are also frequently reported.

research shows that the underlying motivation of most paid kidney donors is poverty, and that lasting economic benefit after donation is limited or even negative because of the limited employability of such patients and the perceived deterioration of their health. Results from other more qualitative research are consistent with these quantitative surveys in other countries. Paid kidney donation is also associated with depression, regret and discrimination. Paid kidney donors do not receive follow-up care, due to financial and other reasons.

http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/85/12/06-039370/en/
http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/85/12/06-039370-table-T4.html

I'm on the donor list, but your talk of barcodes as a means of proving you want to donate organs is just crazy-town. Barcoding your own limbs so they can be located in the event of chainsaw accident is another matter altogether.

Adorno said:
A person must appear in a central register having given consent to the transplant.
Interesting.
Like I said, without actiely looking into it, all I've been ever told about it in Germany is what the little leaflet told me that the insurance companies sent out.
It also contained those little cards/IDs that you are supposed to fill out at home and carry with you and that's it.
No register, no reminder to call in or anything.

And since we talked about it last weekend I also know that this is all three friends of mine ever got about it as well.

Pharaoh X Llandy said:
https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/faq/consent/
That's what I meant: joining the organ donor register. If you just carry an ID, and die without having it on you, then what?
But it seems you can just tell a friend. That sounds stupid to me, since there's no way to verify that once you're braindead.

Adorno said:
That's what I meant: joining the organ donor register. If you just carry an ID, and die without having it on you, then what?

But it seems you can just tell a friend. That sounds stupid to me, since there's no way to verify that once you're braindead.

If you die without having your ID on you, how will the doctors even know who you are in order to check the register. It's not like the can search the register for "John Doe." These days, most people carry some form of ID, whether it's a credit card, a driving licence, or a phone. When I go out dog walking, I don't take my purse and all my ID cards with me, but I do take my phone. If I've informed my NOK that I want to donate organs, it's just a matter of the police pulling numbers from my phone until they get my NOK who will no doubt come hurtling down to the hospital to inform doctors of my wishes. Donor cards only work if they're always with you. When I signed up for organ donation the first time I gave blood, I didn't even get a donor card.

Adorno said:

on my Country you add the blood type and option as donor/not donor on your personal ID (with all the other info). That data can be easily gathered with your finger prints, other documents you carry (which have the ID number in them as per law), even your phone number (you must inform your ID number to register each phone number, even for mobile). So it doesn't matter what you have on you (driver's license, passport, library card, cellphone, nothing...).

In short, unless you lose your wallet and all your fingers it is easy to figure that out.

as for the question: yeap, I am on the list. They can use all my bits once I am off to *insert your post life place here*.

Back
Top Bottom