Has telling a lord "Actually, I think you're the one ought to surrender" ever worked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Agreed.

Never, even when their situation was completely hopeless (say 1000 army against 20 recruits).

I understand they are lord and not bandits (that will also hardly ever give up in hopeless situations), but there should be a point in asking them to surrender... at the very least, I expect them to offer me a bribe to let them go, just like we can try to bribe ourselves out of a fight when catched off guard and against impossible odds.

That's one of my main issues with the game and to a degree, with Warband. The NPC don't follow the rules as the player do; Ghost armies out of nowhere, unlimited money, no attrition in sieges, no surrender, etc.

That's one of my main issues with the game and to a degree, with Warband. The NPC don't follow the rules as the player do; Ghost armies out of nowhere, unlimited money, no attrition in sieges, no surrender, etc.
That's why warband was a good challenge for the player, but even the lords with their ghost armies couldn't field an army for a few days after their defeat, and if you siege their residence, they're left without troops for even longer.
You'll never get an AI that is as good as the player on the campaign map, if it's limited to the rules that apply to the player, too.

Only bandits sometimes surrender, but even then, they sometimes fight when the odds are like 12:1, which doesn't make much sense.

The only forces I've had surrender outright were looters and bandits where I outnumber them like 120 to 8. But those aren't lords. I've never had a lord force surrender no matter the ods.

And that's why executions are essential

I hope they develop some sort of reputation system based on traits. If you are 'feared' due to being known of killing your prisoners you might get additional dialog choices and nobles would be scared of you and surrender more easily. This is a long shot but I really hope the devs have some idea on what to do with the personal traits

I hope they develop some sort of reputation system based on traits. If you are 'feared' due to being known of killing your prisoners you might get additional dialog choices and nobles would be scared of you and surrender more easily. This is a long shot but I really hope the devs have some idea on what to do with the personal traits

Why would you ever surrender to some crazy person who executes their prisoners?

Someone who has the "merciful" and "honorable" traits should be more likely to get lords surrendering to them.

Last edited:
I love when haughty lords from ancient lineages roll up on me and pretend they're going to teach the young upstart a lesson with their 12 doods versus my elite 50 man army. Please do not fix this devs.

Why would they surrender? They gain xp if fight and their troops are lost anyway. They will escape (just as you) after a couple of days and build a new army to sacrifice (just like you) in a few days.

Did you ever surrender? Why would you?

But this option only comes when the enemy lord catches you or is willing to fight and not run away from you. So in that case why would he surrender right away?
In cases where you catch them the dialogues are different

Someone who has the "merciful" and "honorable" traits should be more likely to get lords surrendering to them.

Because you want to be on good terms. Making him just waste his time fighting would make him furious...

Ok...Then offer money to avoid becoming a prisoner.

Well, if you barely have any units like 5 to 20- then I would most likely surrender. That should be the same with Lord but at higher unit numbers.

I can't understand why developers put in senseless options that don't do anything. If there were a chance that the opposing lord (or bandits) would offer some token sum for their release, surrender to avoid pointless killing over a foregone conclusion, or take you to another screen for more dialog and negotiations, that would be a positive point. With no chance of them surrendering, it's just one more pointless screen to click past.

I can't understand why developers put in senseless options that don't do anything. If there were a chance that the opposing lord (or bandits) would offer some token sum for their release, surrender to avoid pointless killing over a foregone conclusion, or take you to another screen for more dialog and negotiations, that would be a positive point. With no chance of them surrendering, it's just one more pointless screen to click past.

planned feature. Features consist of different teams doing different things so just because someone does all the dialogue texts does not mean he has any idea what the state of the implementation of the programmed reaction is. And doing it in bulk for the first setup is more efficient than only when a feature is being programmed. In the same vein going back to remove everything you plan to plug back in costs resources for no end gain.

I agree, why surrender and be executed without inflicting damage, instead of surrendering to someone merciful and having no casualties on both sides?

But this option only comes when the enemy lord catches you or is willing to fight and not run away from you. So in that case why would he surrender right away?
In cases where you catch them the dialogues are different
1) This option exists
2) They are bold enough to attack armies that are way bigger than they can take

Because you want to be on good terms. Making him just waste his time fighting would make him furious...

Ok...Then offer money to avoid becoming a prisoner.

I agree with the other fellow. Being famed for your incredible mercy should make lords more likely to surrender to you.

Being infamous for executing prisoners should make the enemy less likely to attack you at all. Maybe make it so that the AI perceives your army as 20-30 men stronger than it is so the lords will run away when they see you unless they are absolutely certain they can win.

Throw in some dialogue where if the enemy party is being attacked they cower a bit but choose to fight to the end. If they attacked you they get dialogue about how they've finally "cornered the beast".

Back
Top Bottom