Hair normals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Stefano

Squire
After struggling for a while with BRFedit, python, etc. I've finally mananged to use custom hair meshes in the game. Phew.  :shock:
Now, I have a minor problem I can't get rid of. Since I couldn't find anything about this matter on the forums:

When I look at native hair meshes at BRFedit, I can see the textures on both sides of the polys. The one I've imported only shows it on one. How can I fix that?

Help??

Cheers,
-Stefano

Stefano said:
After struggling for a while with BRFedit, python, etc. I've finally mananged to use custom hair meshes in the game. Phew.  :shock:
Now, I have a minor problem I can't get rid of. Since I couldn't find anything about this matter on the forums:

When I look at native hair meshes at BRFedit, I can see the textures on both sides of the polys. The one I've imported only shows it on one. How can I fix that?

Help??

Cheers,
-Stefano

Just use double sided polygons.

Hum... ok. I've figured the polygons in the native mesh were double-sided. The thing is I use 3d studio and have no clue how to do that...
I CAN turn off "backface culling" on object properties, but that only solves it on the viewport. I also can render backfaces activating the proper options on the renderer, but none of these let me actualy export the  wavefont obj with double-sided faces.

Anyone knows how to pull this off on 3d max?????  :cry:

Stefano said:
Hum... ok. I've figured the polygons in the native mesh were double-sided. The thing is I use 3d studio and have no clue how to do that...
I CAN turn off "backface culling" on object properties, but that only solves it on the viewport. I also can render backfaces activating the proper options on the renderer, but none of these let me actualy export the  wavefont obj with double-sided faces.

Anyone knows how to pull this off on 3d max?????  :cry:

Just use the create a polygon tool on the empty side of a polygon you want to make double sided.

Boy, you're quick. :smile:
I'll bug you just a bit more:

That would doble the polycount, right? Is that how it's done in the game??

You're welcome Marsec.

Just adding something for the record, for 3d Studio users:

To create the inner side of the mesh, instead of redrawing all polys with Modify>create poly:
1. convert to "Editable Poly" if you're working with any other type of 3D tool;
2. select all the faces you want to flip normals;
3. use the "detach" tool, on the Modify menu, selecting the option "Detach as clone";
4. exit the edit polygon mode and select your detached faces clone.
5. on modify menu, select all faces and click on Normals>Flip;
6. re-attach the original mesh to the clone.

There ya go!  :eek:

Cheers,
-Stefano

That works, but this is how I do it:

1) Add edit mesh modifier (its probably already an editable mesh anyway, so you might not need to do this)
2) Select faces you want to be multi sided
3) Hold shift and click the faces (to clone as an element, not detach them)
4) Flip the normals

It's a bit quicker :wink:

BTW, in case you don't know you can get a polygon counter by clicking "More" in the utilities tab, and selecting "Polygon Counter".  It counts in triangles by default so no need to triangulate or anything to get the right count.

Back
Top Bottom