Good Space Based Games?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mm, can I play Freespace 2 WITHOUT a joystick? Since I haven't bought one yet.

I take it it's pretty good?

A new 4x has just come out, looks like fun. Sword of the Stars.
http://www.swordofthestars.com/

I've played the demo and it's good fun to me, playing as the two available races. I'll be buying the game I think.

It follows the formula of making your own ship designs from available researched components which I certainly enjoy. Has the usual exploring, colonizing other systems, and fully 3D Homeworld-lite type battles.

Archonsod said:
phbbbt107 said:
I heard that uses Starforce.

The download version doesn't. They're also looking to remove it in the next patch.

Egosoft have a somewhat strange approach to these things. One of the first post release updates they made for X2 was a no CD patch.

As long as they still make money and make good games.

Just wanted to say, I bought the download version of Sword of the Stars early yesterday and have been quite enjoying it. I ended up playing it for about 8 hours straight. :lol:
Took a little getting into at first as the demo tutorial is kind of weak, but I'm glad I persevered.

The technology tree is mostly the same for each of the 4 races and is slightly randomized for each player in each game (some side techs will be available, others won't), but each race has enough other differences (the main thing being methods of travel) to make things interesting as each race.

As a side note, I got it from GamersGate, whose downloader program seems a bit crude and underdeveloped. Still, considering the other download version is from Direct2Drive which apparently has to connect to the internet to check your registration every single time you play the game :???: (from what I could gather from reading their FAQs), I'd still have gone with GamersGate.
Also GamersGate was the latest purchasing option made available for M&B, so it seemed more fitting to go with them.

Cymro said:
Project Earth is very fun. It's... Hard, to say the least, but it's more like a true 3d RTS (often meaning you get lost >.<)
On second thoughts, forget that. You HAVE to have Opengl95 (1.1). Which makes the gameplay sucky.

Homeworld 2 is very similar. Which means I may be buying that as a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom