Good animes/mangas?

Users who are viewing this thread

The single good shounen I've watched was Evangelion (Death Note, Claymore and all those popular things like Naruto and Bleach are all ****e).

Animes I have particularly enjoyed are: Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, Haibane Renmei, Ghost in the Shell 1/2 Gig, Gunslinger Girl. I kind of liked Higurashi series 1 (2nd was terrible), I liked Haruhi xD, kind of liked Fate Stay Night and Tsukihime. The .Hack manga was terrible, haven't bothered to buy more than the first Rozen Maiden manga (gawd those things are expensive), liked Angel Sanctuary manga for some reason, thought Air Gear manga may have looked like it would have been better than the anime. I'll conclude this post instead of letting the bad grammar continue.

While I agree that stuff like Bleach and Naruto sucks (not that I've watched one second of it), I strongly disagree regarding most of that. Evangelion was just weird. In addition to weird concepts (which are prominent in alot of japanese art, and this is just overdose. Since there were alot of fans disliking the end, hence the OVA's, its not just me), it also has alot of stupid **** like the robots using ****ing cables for power -.-.

Gunslinger Girl was just so damn constant, and things based of computer games (unless I am mistaken) is rarely good. Fate Stay Night was okay, but I don't see what seperates it from stuff like DN/Claymore.

MrCrotch said:
Cowboy Bebop.

And watch Death Note again.

I am watching Death Note again :/. And Amatsuki (about a boy being transported back into the Edo period of Japan), Wolf's Rain (kind of weird in the start atleast), Wolf and Spice (pretty good, too short though) and Strawberry Panic! (okay its a series about girls at a catholic school, but I think the fact that everyone's lesbian redeems it :razz:)

While I must confess most of the things japanese spew out make me cringe, there were few a things I enjoyed and can reccomend:

I really liked Eden: It's an Endless World (well, the first half, mebbie 2/3 of the series). Really good piece of cyberpunk that.
(Not necessarily Gibson's cp, but more like the pnp Cyberpunk 2020). Great panels, nice plot (until we get to the whole living crystal ****e, I prefered the first post-apoc-esque part more) healthy dose of violence. Me likes.

As for the few animated things I saw, Ergo Proxy had fantastic atmosphere for the first 10 or so episodes, then went downhill pretty fast. At some point the amount of weird and convoluted stuff it has, just for the sake of having weird and convoluted stuf reaches critical mass. Starts out as a nice dystopia though.

Samurai Champloo was a bit weird cultural mix, and at times cringeworthy, but I actually saw the series to the end and overall didn't regret the time.

I like Naruto and Bleach. The animes of Naruto are ****e most times except episode 133.  :lol: But the manga is brilliant - especially now. The Bleach animes are quite good imo.

argh, just die...you're  moron, really. Naruto isn't a shining philosophical work of art, but it's a good shonen fighto. And Evangelion is one of the smarter anime out there. Especially for robots with cables, you dickhead.

Tsukihime is ****ing great despite being based on a game. Prejudice much? Also, talking ****e about Naruto and Bleach when you've never seen any of it? idiot much?

Merlkir said:
argh, just die...you're  moron, really. Naruto isn't a shining philosophical work of art, but it's a good shonen fighto. And Evangelion is one of the smarter anime out there. Especially for robots with cables, you dickhead.

Tsukihime is ****ing great despite being based on a game. Prejudice much? Also, talking ****e about Naruto and Bleach when you've never seen any of it? idiot much?

I know that Naruto, Bleach and all that have like an chapter/episode a week/biweekly, and that they now have been running for quite sometime, and that even good mangas/animes that are drawn out can get pretty bad, and that crap that is made with that speed plainly sucks.

EDIT: Also just read this of animesuki forum:

She's referring to the 'there is no Tsukihime anime' meme which haunted, and still haunts, imageboards and forums alike. It's basically fans of the game being angry at the difference between the anime and the game. They don't consider the anime true to the story, so they deny its existence.

Obviously your opinion is far from universal (tsukihime)

I liked trinity blood, FLCL, ( did it get cancelled due to budget probs?), samarai champloo, and full metal alchemist.  :wink:

Merlkir said:

wat

uncreative said:

She's referring to the 'there is no Tsukihime anime' meme which haunted, and still haunts, imageboards and forums alike. It's basically fans of the game being angry at the difference between the anime and the game. They don't consider the anime true to the story, so they deny its existence.

Frankly, I don't give a crap about game fans. The game is hentai. Know the word? sex with vampires. The story could be awesome, but what they're angry about is that they changed it in the anime. That doesn't bother me. The anime is good. If you don't know the game, the opinion of game fans shouldn't really concern you either.

Merlkir said:
uncreative said:

Frankly, I don't give a crap about game fans. The game is hentai. Know the word? sex with vampires. The story could be awesome, but what they're angry about is that they changed it in the anime. That doesn't bother me. The anime is good. If you don't know the game, the opinion of game fans shouldn't really concern you either.

I know neither the anime nor the game, the point is that you choose to use it as an example for games making good animes/other form of art, and, as your opinion is not that of the majority (if theres actually a known saying, for lack of better word, that there is no Tsukihime anime, then I'll take it as a common point of view), your statement fails. Also, quite a few popular (not that it means that they're good in my book) animes are based on games, usually eroges, which I assume to be hentai.

I didn't use Tsukihime as an example of anything. I said it's a good anime. And beside that, it's based on a hentai game. Period. No further relation between those facts.

Sorry, I just can't watch anime. Its not necessarily that it's a cartoon or anything, its just that it attracts all the idiots who think that because its low-budget, they can bring their idiotic ideas into it.

If someone made an anime about 410 AD, King Arthur, I'd watch it. If someone made one about Kingdom X's monarchy being destroyed and fleeing into the mountains before returning to claim back their land, I'd watch it. Instead, we get bizarre, messed up shows that appeal to social rejects or young kids.

Of course, I actually haven't seen that many, but for god's sake, I don't want to watch a young teenager discover his powers and become a hero. No! Whats wrong with a typical movie, just done like an anime, graphically?

eh...while I would love to see Ghibli adapt Bernard Cornwell's Arthurian trilogy, I still watch Naruto every week. Why? it's retarded and for kids. wow. And so what? I'm better? above simple enjoyable fun? no way. It has an interesting and looong plot (at least to me), I like the characters and sometimes the animation and music are rather good.

Itazura na Kiss - I like comedy stuff and this one really hits the spot. Romance/comedy genre.
Spice and Wolf - really nice anime if you can get into it.
Claymore (manga) - anime ****ed up bigtime in the last 3 or so episodes unfortunately by totally going offtrack from the manga, but otherwise it's a really good anime as well.

Can't really say I know of any other more "gory" or serious anime that hasn't already been mentioned. Berserk maybe, which is pretty good as well, but alas, unfinished.

Elenmmare said:
Sorry, I just can't watch anime. Its not necessarily that it's a cartoon or anything, its just that it attracts all the idiots who think that because its low-budget, they can bring their idiotic ideas into it.

If someone made an anime about 410 AD, King Arthur, I'd watch it. If someone made one about Kingdom X's monarchy being destroyed and fleeing into the mountains before returning to claim back their land, I'd watch it. Instead, we get bizarre, messed up shows that appeal to social rejects or young kids.

Of course, I actually haven't seen that many, but for god's sake, I don't want to watch a young teenager discover his powers and become a hero. No! Whats wrong with a typical movie, just done like an anime, graphically?

Firstly, alot of fiction outside of anime/manga, and especially western comics like superman/batman/Spiderman where its far more common, have themes such as people getting super powers. Secondly, you have a limited knowledge of anime/manga if you think thats all its about. Theres alot of anime/manga that fits what you came up with, atleast the kingdom X plot.

Pretty much everything japanese can seem pretty bizarre to people in the west, from mythology to arts, not at least anime/manga, althought that might not be what you're referring to...

uncreative said:
Firstly, alot of fiction outside of anime/manga, and especially western comics like superman/batman/Spiderman where its far more common, have themes such as people getting super powers. Secondly, you have a limited knowledge of anime/manga if you think thats all its about. Theres alot of anime/manga that fits what you came up with, atleast the kingdom X plot.

Pretty much everything japanese can seem pretty bizarre to people in the west, from mythology to arts, not at least anime/manga, althought that might not be what you're referring to...

Your point? Just because other things have terrible themes doesn't mean this should get away with it.

Also, can you please show me a medieval, European themed anime? I kinda wanna watch one like it.

Again, at your last point, I'm not very interested in Japan. However, seeing as Anime is a large topic, this receives the most of my attention.

Elenmmare said:
uncreative said:

Your point? Just because other things have terrible themes doesn't mean this should get away with it.

Also, can you please show me a medieval, European themed anime? I kinda wanna watch one like it.

Again, at your last point, I'm not very interested in Japan. However, seeing as Anime is a large topic, this receives the most of my attention.

Pretty much half of all fantasy anime has to various extent a medieval theme, Berserk (most of it rather unrealistic/low fantasy, especially after the start, but somethings have toned down real life inspirations, for example some German warlord who had a iron hand at his arm after an amputation, or one of the antagonist being based on a real indian emperor), Wolf and Spice (not a traditional medieval themed, and theres alot of fantasy in it, but from what I've read, the economy stuff in it is realistic), The Rose of Versailles, Cantarella are just things popping to mind, but theres alot more.

Atm I can't recall any semi-realistic medieval themed animes, but I know of a few mangas, atleast "Vinland Saga", which is about Britain during Danelaw I believe, sadly its not made anime yet.

Regarding the last, I was merely pointing out that if you found animes somewhat bizarre, thats often prominent in most japanese art.

Back
Top Bottom