SP Sci-Fi Goa'Uld mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Gulkahn

Recruit
I know  Stargate mod was once suggested for Warband, but it looks like it's not gonna go anywhere. I had my own idea that's much more humble for Fire & Sword.

I've always thought the Goa'Uld were pretty badass, and who can't say dominating a primitive civilisation posing as a god wouldn't be fun? So in blatantly OP game-breaking fashion I figured one could add Jaffa/elite guard/some goauld weapons as items in game probably worked through the mercenary system.

I do model myself and have every intention of making the armours, staff & other weapons but I have little time to mod these days and this would be my first time working with Warband. To expedite the process instead of me downloading a handful of new programs and exporters I was wondering if someone can throw me some .obj files to use as reference in modelling for scale, detail and positioning. If I get an obj I can import it to xsi, make my own models, and export those as obj to send back for in-game conversion.

The list of items for the mod I'm thinking is:
Jaffa armour (preferably bare body mesh)
Goa'Uld grenade (grenade of course)
Staff weapon (needs a rifle model, any large rifle will do)
Zat (pistol model needed)
Jaffa cap (Bare head mesh)
Hodr deathmask*
Elite guard helmets (Horus, Serpent, Anubis, my own designed Fenris, and possibly a couple others?)

How I wanted to incorporate this was simply make the equipment available through mercenary camps so you remain the only person capable of producing these troops. I thought each nation's camp could be capable of producing a different type of guard albeit they would be quite expensive. What makes this mod so simple as opposed to Warband is that the already-made rifles have the right function and impact effect that I want as well as being able to switch to a blunt melee so all I have to do is tweak stats give a new projectile effect/sound and remove reloading animation. Anyone think they can throw me a hand?

Thanks, I've already set about learning the modules and setting it up so I can at least get things done stat-side while I wait for a reply.

Grab OpenBRF; you can easily move items from OBJ to BRF and back again, to compare scales, etc.

I want to caution you, though; with XSI, you'll need to rig to the Taleworlds skeleton and export as SMD (Half Life 2 format) if you want rigging to transfer, as that's the only rigging format besides Blender that is supported (and trust me, you want to use SMD, not Blender). 

While OpenBRF offers a comprehensive and reasonably powerful autorig system for transferring vertex weights, it's no substitute for doing it properly, you'll find.  So for armors, your first major step will be to export the Taleworlds skeleton from OpenBRF and port it via SMD to XSI.

If money is not a major problem for you, I'd like to humbly recommend fragMOTION (which costs only $50) as an alternative rigging toolset; it's every bit as powerful as XSI but it's neat and clean and won't take you long to learn; rigging for this engine isn't terribly complicated, as it just uses basic vertex weight-painting concepts but you'll want to have a nice clean workflow.

Oh, and lastly... I'd heartily recommend not using any of the names or IP associated directly with Stargate; 20th Century Fox has a long history of shutting such projects down.  Steal their concepts, but make original IP.

Alright I did see the OpenBRF but got the impression from reading the thread that I'd need wings and a couple exporters to work with it. I'll try that on my own, the models themselves at the level of M&B should go by pretty fast for the actual scultping. Thanks for the rigging tip.

That's too bad about Fox being so anal retentive but this was just a quick mod that I wanted to do for myself and anyone else who doesn't mind just-for-fun power play. I already have the items pretty much all set up and done in the items file and like I said I could prolly do all the models within a day, barring mapping/texture/rigging time so it'll probably be done before anyone even knows about it, god forbid it get shut down. o.0

For a quick "be a god" thing, just change the name to Bloodthirsty Egyptian War-Gods  :lol:

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it starts snowballing, though :smile:

And yeah, I agree, Fox has done itself more harm than good by being a pain in the rear; mods are usually free publicity.  Ah well, I don't make the rules.

Back
Top Bottom