Getting rid of prefixes for heroes

Users who are viewing this thread

Is there a way to get rid of the "palantinus" and other prefixes added in 2.4 for heroes?
Among other things, it disrupts character imports and dialogs are hard to read.

Actually, I tried using Morgh's but it seems "palantinus" is not part of the character's name at all, more like a title (also for some reason it changes after you've recruited the character)... As for importing, changing the text file will probably solve it, thanks!

Crounch said:
Actually, I tried using Morgh's but it seems "palantinus" is not part of the character's name at all, more like a title (also for some reason it changes after you've recruited the character)... As for importing, changing the text file will probably solve it, thanks!
All titles are stored as part of a NPC troops' "singular" name, while their "plural" name is untouched.

That's barely even a workaround, and involves a specific change to each of 16 lines of text with teach character you create.  Do you care to find a way to actually disable it for reals?  Solve it so it never comes up again?  Because that's what was really asked here.

Edit the troop names/troops.txt in a text editor of your choice or Morgh's tools.
Or, go into edit mode, and while in the game go to the Character page and scroll through the toons until you get to the companions. Edit their names there to your desiring.

Or, change the name of the .txt files that are exported, as stated above.

Any of the above will solve it "for reals".

To change the 'palantinus' or other titles, open strings.txt, search for the name in question, and replace it to something you like (fore example, an empty space). You'll see the following lines in strings.txt:
Code:
str_hero_titles_none Hero_{s0}
str_hero_titles_diplomat Missi_{s0}
str_hero_titles_tactician Tassein_{s0}
str_hero_titles_scout Ausculare_{s0}
str_hero_titles_physician Fisique_{s0}
str_hero_titles_trader Empori_{s0}
str_hero_titles_party Palantinus_{s0}
str_hero_specdesc_none none
str_hero_specdesc_diplomat Diplomacy_(Persuasion)
str_hero_specdesc_tactician Tactical_matters_(Tactics,_Engineer_and_Trainer)
str_hero_specdesc_scout Scouting_(Spotting,_Tracking_and_Path_finding)
str_hero_specdesc_physician Healing_(Wound_treatment,_Surgery_and_First_aid)
str_hero_specdesc_trader Trade_(Trading,_Looting_and_Foraging)
As you can see, all titles are defined around here. I haven't tested if removing one completely this way will work or will render the game broken, since they are implemented in the code. But it should work if you replace the 'str_hero_titles_party Palantinus_{s0}' by 'str_hero_titles_party {s0}'.

Well, I used a quick and dirty way, which is to rename the character file names to "Palantinus Blabla.txt" but not change the name inside the text file ("Blabla")... It allows you to import your character and get rid of the prefix at the same time. Does the trick, and it takes only a few seconds. Not sure what would happen if you used that while the characters are out of your party or if you let them go later though, since the prefix seems to change with those events (and probably others).

The technique mentionned by Pada doesn't work for me (first thing I tried !  :razz:)

Caba`drin said:
Edit the troop names/troops.txt in a text editor of your choice or Morgh's tools.
Or, go into edit mode, and while in the game go to the Character page and scroll through the toons until you get to the companions. Edit their names there to your desiring.
monnikje said:
To change the 'palantinus' or other titles, open strings.txt, search for the name in question, and replace it to something you like (fore example, an empty space). You'll see the following lines in strings.txt:

[...]

But it should work if you replace the 'str_hero_titles_party Palantinus_{s0}' by 'str_hero_titles_party {s0}'.
Hi, so I've tried these three methods, none of them seem to work.

troops.txt method: both the singular and plural are just the name of the companion - like 'Marnid' or 'Borcha'
Edit mode method: the names just change back after I exit the screen

Are they only effective upon starting a new game?

(I do realise that it's been a year. Didn't see a point in making a new thread.)

EDIT: Ah, it works. It just doesn't work on companions that you already have in your party, you have to dismiss an re-hire them.

Late fix, but also specific to this mod: going into camp, and exporting the character...then you can change the name (in the file, not the filename) to whatever you like, then import it back in.  As long as the filename matches what's expected, you'll change their name.

If anything, it wouldn't hurt to just correct the speling to "Palatinus", if that's what is intended... I have no earthly idea what Palantinus is supposed to mean, either. 

Ironlion45 said:
If anything, it wouldn't hurt to just correct the speling to "Palatinus", if that's what is intended... I have no earthly idea what Palantinus is supposed to mean, either.

I agree that the spelling should be corrected. In a suggestion post I made earlier today, I, too, pointed out that Palantinus appears to be a misspelling of the word Palatinus (aka Paladin) in Latin. It's surprising how long the misspelling has been around (among some other ones), but I can't blame the mod developers as they probably have a lot more important matters in their hands, assuming they can find the free time to work on said mods.

monnikje said:
Code:
str_hero_titles_none Hero_{s0}
str_hero_titles_diplomat Missi_{s0}
str_hero_titles_tactician Tassein_{s0}
str_hero_titles_scout Ausculare_{s0}
str_hero_titles_physician Fisique_{s0}
str_hero_titles_trader Empori_{s0}
str_hero_titles_party Palantinus_{s0}
str_hero_specdesc_none none
str_hero_specdesc_diplomat Diplomacy_(Persuasion)
str_hero_specdesc_tactician Tactical_matters_(Tactics,_Engineer_and_Trainer)
str_hero_specdesc_scout Scouting_(Spotting,_Tracking_and_Path_finding)
str_hero_specdesc_physician Healing_(Wound_treatment,_Surgery_and_First_aid)
str_hero_specdesc_trader Trade_(Trading,_Looting_and_Foraging)
As you can see, all titles are defined around here. I haven't tested if removing one completely this way will work or will render the game broken, since they are implemented in the code. But it should work if you replace the 'str_hero_titles_party Palantinus_{s0}' by 'str_hero_titles_party {s0}'.

I don't want to resurrect old topic, but this one caught my interest. I've noticed some companions have titles that don't represent their strongest side, for example Artimenner, who is titled Empori, but has more points in engineering and tactics than trade. So how does the script decide what title gets to each companion? I've been thinking about some tweaks so the companions get different titles according to their specializations after they join the player and level up different skills instead of all having the same 'Palatinus'.

Back
Top Bottom