Generic vs foreign language troop naming

Generic vs non-generic

• Generic

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Non-generic

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Is adding it as an option, like you have for troops right now, where you get Elite, Veteran and the like, or would that mean you need to do 7 or 8 naming options? Which sounds disaster prone.

I could do that in theory. I'm not sure I'd be able to do it without breaking everything horribly. That's why I'm a bit reluctant to implement such a thing and focus on more important matters. It could be still added as a sort of final polish.

What if you have a standard name for a troop type, but let the player rename each troop type as he pleases through the UI?

So it might start out as "Nord Huscarls," but if I want to I can change it to "Big Axe Guys."

I like generic more. It actually kinda take me out of the game when I read a troop name I don't understand. Especially since its generally just a translation of a generic word like knight, chevalier, caballero etc...

Some untranslatable name can be tolerated, especially for high tier troop and if there is no clear translation or if they made it to the English language. Cataphract, huscarl and the likes of them.

Anyway that's my opinion

I've gradually picked up the meaning of most words through reading and playing of mods without translated names. Having the bits that have "I5" or "A3" helped me get an idea and then just googled some of the words. But I'm kind-of a masochist.

UniversalWolf said:
What if you have a standard name for a troop type, but let the player rename each troop type as he pleases through the UI?

So it might start out as "Nord Huscarls," but if I want to I can change it to "Big Axe Guys."
That is quite possible, though unless really desired may not be worth the time investment to produce a system that is compatible with unique troops and location renaming.

Back
Top Bottom