Garrison Training and convining Lords and other questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello Fellows,

I have been spending a lot of time with this great mod lately and just have some minor questions.

To make things easy for you to answer I will sum my situation up with things you might need to know :wink: :
-~175 days in the game
-100+ Honor
-~1000reputation
-~500 reknown
-~35 right to rule
-I formed my own kingdom holding 1 town and 1 castle ( Oxford and the Castle slightly NO of it )

SO my main 'problem' at this point is that no Lords want to join my honorable cause.
Several of them are devoted to me (100 relation) due to my high honor rating. But even with Persuasion skill 6 they still don't want to join me.
They say they "might be saver with me","like me better"... and all that stuff.

Anyone knows a reason why? I am still in my "first war" with the faction I took the town and the castle from and no other faction but one that is at war with them as well has recognised my rule yet. Might that be the problem?

And another little problem I have is:
My constable just doesn't seem to train the Garrison in the fief even after assigning him (and another trainer) to this duty.
Even after several weeks not a single troop in the garrison has been upgraded. My treasury has never been empty so it can't be the money.

Thanks and regards
Mike of Kingswell

@the money issue

You need to have atleast 8 500+ denar per week wineries built for a stable income before starting a kingdom.

@getting lords to join you

Having high relation with you isn't all they need, they have to have negative relations with their current king before they'll be willing to leave them. You must also have a fief open to give them.

Thanks for the fast reply!

There is no money issue so far.
I only have 3 wineries but with raiding some enemy villages every once in a while I can pay for my men and the garriisons.
To be honest I didnt plan on starting my kingdom this fast but I came to Oxford that had only 50 men garrison and just had to take it :wink:
The problem is that my constable simply does not train the existic garrison even with enough money in the treasury and I don't know why.
I have had ~150 new recruits in the garrison for weeks now and nothing happend to them.

I see how the Lord thing works now. I didn't notice that I can actually see their relation to their liege aswell!

175 days in you're probably not too high level are you? Unless you play on the lower difficulty settings I guess. Your right to rule is quite low, odds are you won't be able to get anyone to peace with you and such. You want around 70+ before becoming a king. Odds are that is why the other Lords will not join you.

As for the constable, I'm pretty sure you pay him money and he brings in higher tiered units periodically, not trains existing ones.

Kinsume said:
As for the constable, I'm pretty sure you pay him money and he brings in higher tiered units periodically, not trains existing ones.
You sure?
I know I can pay with money and he brings me recruits of a type I want him to bring.
But the training option says something like "train troops in Oxford (or whereever you want to)." And he thens ays something like "If you hire an extra trainer things will be faster" And then starts 'training'.
Just he doesn't do anything:
Neither do my garrion troops level up nor does he bring any highlevel troops. Its jsut not doing anything (but takeing gold per week for the extra trainer :wink:

Just looked at that trigger. It's set to train troops level 6 or below or if using improved training level 10 and below. Considering the fresh recruits are level 15 in this mod... we have a slight problem. :lol:

TheMageLord said:
Just looked at that trigger. It's set to train troops level 6 or below or if using improved training level 10 and below. Considering the fresh recruits are level 15 in this mod... we have a slight problem. :lol:

Slight problem indeed :grin:

Thanks for the fast answers guys!

TBH this was a known issue for about a year now. I wonder if it was never changed for balancing reasons.

The funny thing is someone apparently tried to fix it but went about it entirely the wrong way. Instead of increasing the level limit they tried to up the player's trainer skill by ONE HUNDRED which affected the xp_gain variable with the rationalization (they left a comment in spanish) that the troops needed more XP to upgrade. But what that variable actually was is the maximum number of troops trained each day. This was upped twenty more for the improved training thing with a similar comment about troops needing more xp in brytenwalda.

So had the script actually been working it would have been training a minimum of 200 troops a day, up to 240 if using improved training and with max trainer skill. Talk about balance issues, hahaha.

I'm guessing that, as is the case with many volunteer modding teams, you guys probably didn't have enough good programmers - and someone who was only so-so at it tried their hand at coding for Brytenwalda. I keep finding code that looks ok on the surface but doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you actually dig into how things work.

Well if its possible would you be able to do a bug fix download for the mod that doesn't have the gameplay changes you've made in it?

No wonder my recruits never got levels on garrison duty. I finally just disbanded them and got better garrison units by recruiting elite patrols and buying guys from bars. Talk about professional military buildup :mrgreen:

And bugfix would not hurt. Preferably one that doesn't require one to start game all over again.

Glad to see I am not the only one who pays his constable for nothing :grin:.

(if this is a known bug: sorry I started another thread about it but didn't read anything about it so far :wink: )

Kinsume said:
Well if its possible would you be able to do a bug fix download for the mod that doesn't have the gameplay changes you've made in it?

Well, a lot of the bug fixes are gameplay changes. In this case, how do you determine what the devs initially wanted? Do I bugfix it so that you can train 200 troops a day? Or 10? Or 50? What do I set the max level to? 20? 25? 30?

If I did a "bugfix only" version of my submod, where do I draw the line? If I leave out the upgrade cost and wage changes I made, does that include the change to making recruiting higher tier troops from villagers cost more, or is that one a bug fix? Do I drop all the item and troop changes, or are some of them bug fixes (like, say, viking armor being medium instead of heavy?). Do I leave out the new salt mine code that lets you actually pull a profit from the place? Or loot wagon selling code, that one was originally very different. Or the change I made to formation AI - whoever added that did it intentionally with a comment about more maneuverable formation and typical roman lines, so is that change not a bug fix?

My code is heavily commented (Just search for TML and you'll find everything, except the items file which you could just overwrite with the old version) so someone else could grab my source and make their own submod and remove anything that they didn't think should be there. I'm not sure I want to personally maintain two separate versions of it, but I wouldn't mind someone else using my code in their own version.

I'll be releasing a new version later today probably, with a working constable as well as the other stuff I've been messing with (more things for people to agree or disagree with :lol:)

:grin: I'm just amazed you can find this stuff to change and so far every thing your doing is well within the context of the game and enjoyment so I welcome all fixes and changes your doing TML, there great.

Alfred of Gloucester said:
:grin: I'm just amazed you can find this stuff to change and so far every thing your doing is well within the context of the game and enjoyment so I welcome all fixes and changes your doing TML, there great.

I second this :smile:

Back
Top Bottom