Games you wish existed

Users who are viewing this thread

I was thinking more Archaic/Classical times but a Bronze Age game set in the Mediterranean would very much tickle my fancy too. It seems to me that the Sea Peoples were just as rapacious and feared as other famous pirates, more or less Bronze Age Vikings. We know so little about them that a lot of the game would probably have to be made up or guess-work, but I would be okay with that.

A strategy townbuilding/civilisation building game, units are 3d, weapons have decent mechanics eg. Projectiles have a physical presence and have cones of fire, weapons like pikes can stop enemies moving through them like in M&B. Age-spanning, perhaps early medieval to late 1800's. Tech trees, troop body designs (you can customise your own formations and drill), customisable banners and uniforms for individual units. Supply lines regarding producing resources for your civilisation. Famines, plagues and of course the ability to play in first-person mode.

So it's like TotalWar, Anno, Stronghold, Cossacks, all the good stuff.

That doesn't happen though. :???: In fact it's one of the main gripes about polearms in warband, you can just walk up to a pikeman and unless he does the spinstab exploit he can't hit you. I don't know of any mods which fix this.

edit: unless of course you mean this
enemies moving through them like in M&B.
as a single clause, in which case I just misread.

jacobhinds said:
That doesn't happen though. :???: In fact it's one of the main gripes about polearms in warband, you can just walk up to a pikeman and unless he does the spinstab exploit he can't hit you. I don't know of any mods which fix this.

edit: unless of course you mean this
enemies moving through them like in M&B.
as a single clause, in which case I just misread.
'Tis a misread or my English.
Polearms need a physical presence. Walking/clipping through pike shafts from the side is an awful thing that ruins polearms in games like M&B.

HoJu said:
I'd love an open-world pirate/naval game like the Akella games but set in the Mediterranean somewhere between the 16th-18th centuries, in which a significant part of the ships are powered by oars in addition to sails, with Spain, France, Naples, Venice, Genoa, the Pope, the Maltese Knights, the Ottomans and the Barbary states all thrown in the stew. Or at least anywhere else other than the Caribbean, which is growing pretty stale by now. .

In fact, hell, I want to see that kind of game for so many eras and places:
- The South Pacific in the mid-19th century, from Singapore to Hawaii: natives and missionaries, malay pirates, roguish adventurers in captain hats, colonial rivalries, steamships, clippers and schooners, junks, praus and canoes, whalers...
- The Mediterranean in Ancient/Mythological Greece, from the Pillars of Hercules to the Colchis: man your penteconter with fifty would-be heroes (or some legit hero companions) and brave the mysteries of Okeanos and its many islands and shores. Honour the gods or face their wrath.

And a cuople of different approaches to sailing games:
- A rogue-like based on the first Portuguese explorers before Columbus. Reach the East Indies by slowly making your way along the coast of Africa, build trading posts that the next captain will be able to use when you inevitably die, venture further into the sea to catch better winds but you risk storms, calms, disorientation, madness or starvation, keep your crew happy and busy or they'll fall to mutiny, superstition and despair. Carefully manage your resources, trade with the natives or loot their villages.
- A competitive management game about owning a shipping company in the age of clippers or even windjammers, researching and building faster and faster ships to get that sweet tea back home before the competitors. And dealing with storms, the rise of steamships, colonial unrest, wars, worker strikes, etc.

Thanks for reminding me of games I want that I didnt even know of myself.  :cry:

There is this new Warhammer game out, though. And VC has somewhat useable ships aswell.

mcwiggum said:
A strategy townbuilding/civilisation building game, units are 3d, weapons have decent mechanics eg. Projectiles have a physical presence and have cones of fire, weapons like pikes can stop enemies moving through them like in M&B. Age-spanning, perhaps early medieval to late 1800's. Tech trees, troop body designs (you can customise your own formations and drill), customisable banners and uniforms for individual units. Supply lines regarding producing resources for your civilisation. Famines, plagues and of course the ability to play in first-person mode.

So it's like TotalWar, Anno, Stronghold, Cossacks, all the good stuff.
Yes, please. A medieval-period RTS with more realistic combat mechanics, like what you're talking about, is something I'd quite like to see as well.

HoJu said:
I'd love an open-world pirate/naval game like the Akella games but set in the Mediterranean somewhere between the 16th-18th centuries, in which a significant part of the ships are powered by oars in addition to sails, with Spain, France, Naples, Venice, Genoa, the Pope, the Maltese Knights, the Ottomans and the Barbary states all thrown in the stew. Or at least anywhere else other than the Caribbean, which is growing pretty stale by now. .

In fact, hell, I want to see that kind of game for so many eras and places:
- The South Pacific in the mid-19th century, from Singapore to Hawaii: natives and missionaries, malay pirates, roguish adventurers in captain hats, colonial rivalries, steamships, clippers and schooners, junks, praus and canoes, whalers...
- The Mediterranean in Ancient/Mythological Greece, from the Pillars of Hercules to the Colchis: man your penteconter with fifty would-be heroes (or some legit hero companions) and brave the mysteries of Okeanos and its many islands and shores. Honour the gods or face their wrath.

And a cuople of different approaches to sailing games:
- A rogue-like based on the first Portuguese explorers before Columbus. Reach the East Indies by slowly making your way along the coast of Africa, build trading posts that the next captain will be able to use when you inevitably die, venture further into the sea to catch better winds but you risk storms, calms, disorientation, madness or starvation, keep your crew happy and busy or they'll fall to mutiny, superstition and despair. Carefully manage your resources, trade with the natives or loot their villages.
- A competitive management game about owning a shipping company in the age of clippers or even windjammers, researching and building faster and faster ships to get that sweet tea back home before the competitors. And dealing with storms, the rise of steamships, colonial unrest, wars, worker strikes, etc.

These would be freaking awesome.

An RPG/RTS Mix where you are a colonel of a Landsknecht Regiment, a Tercio or Condotta. You have to man your staff, equip your companies and in battle would only bei in control of your own Regiment.

Maybe a game that can take a back seat and run itself.  I can only think of a few examples, like Star Control 1, Panzer General for windows...  Sometimes I can't be bothered and I don't want to bother with twitch which seems short on warband channels.  I think Colonization dos could be activated to play itself too.

A successor to Jagged Alliance 2, so an actually tactically sound turn-based modern squad based combat game (none of this half-assed modern stuff, like X-Com 2).

Back
Top Bottom