Freelancer

Users who are viewing this thread

My brethren, we are gathered here today to pay tribute to this mastapiece who is about to reach 80k downloads.

Cuh4ZGx.png
E1ZSQUR.png

pepe_rope_by_sp2c3_dd7v1dm-fullview.jpg

no no you see if you can't be the legendary dragonborn bannerlord slashing through hordes of mindless bots after 5 minutes into the game our 5y old annalists determined it's not fun for the player :roll:

I tried to get into it for a few hours but couldn't. It was too boring getting dragged around by the AI.
It's a niche bit of new early game.
Maybe in the future we'll get more storylines other than the current one which you ends you up near Poros.

Maybe start as a peasant who finds a small piece of the Dragon Banner,runaway deserter with the Dragon Banner piece etc.
Each of these types will provide different equipment,relations,cons and opportunities.

It's a niche bit of new early game.
Maybe in the future we'll get more storylines other than the current one which you ends you up near Poros.

Maybe start as a peasant who finds a small piece of the Dragon Banner,runaway deserter with the Dragon Banner piece etc.
Each of these types will provide different equipment,relations,cons and opportunities.
Oh, I'm referring just of Freelancer. Not a surprise to anyone who reads my posts but I really don't like the BL campaign AI and with Freelancer you're basically along for the ride. I think I spent four hours (maybe five?) playing with the mod and got into about a few dozen battles, most of which I couldn't contribute at all because it was like a full lord's party vs. a dozen bandits and they'd get wiped before I could get there. Then there were a few sieges with me being a tier 1 doofus in a work shirt and carrying farm tools, which ended as well as you could expect.

There were a few cool things with being able to train up skills and the secondary job thing (Watchman or Novice) but it was ultimately just clicking a button every so often and waiting around while being dragged all over by an AI that doesn't actually have a long-term goal.

Oh, I'm referring just of Freelancer. Not a surprise to anyone who reads my posts but I really don't like the BL campaign AI and with Freelancer you're basically along for the ride. I think I spent four hours (maybe five?) playing with the mod and got into about a few dozen battles, most of which I couldn't contribute at all because it was like a full lord's party vs. a dozen bandits and they'd get wiped before I could get there. Then there were a few sieges with me being a tier 1 doofus in a work shirt and carrying farm tools, which ended as well as you could expect.

There were a few cool things with being able to train up skills and the secondary job thing (Watchman or Novice) but it was ultimately just clicking a button every so often and waiting around while being dragged all over by an AI that doesn't actually have a long-term goal.
Well now you might understand at least how your soldiers feel, when you dragged them around for hours to do oh so important battles and sieges ?

Last I played Warband was with the Bellum Imperii Rome mod and as a soldier of fortune. I had a nice time, I used my second screen in between fights and during fights I was trying to get a feel of how it was to be a nobody on the battlefield even when I got rank and armor I was still nothing but a number in the army or the casualty list of the day.

Last edited:
Well now you might understand at least how your soldiers feel, when you dragged them around for hours to do oh so important battles and sieges ?

Last I played Warband was with the Bellum Imperii Rome mod and as a soldier of fortune, I had a nice time watching or working on my second screen and trying to get a feel of how it was to be a nobody on the battlefield even when I got rank and armor it was still nothing but a number in the army or the casualty list of the day.
An average day in the life of a BL soldier. (y)

The mod premise is fantastic in its design and the avenues it opens up for immersive gameplay, but I agree being at the mercy of AI commander long term might be annoying. Seems more helpful in early game just to power up in a better way. Maybe if this request from Jance on AI weighting decisions is approved we might see more clearly long term AI goals, maybe even edit them.

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/please-expose-explain-ai-behavior-weight-calculations.444156/

Sorry can't find it at the moment but I'm sure I saw Mexxico explain it in a thread before that it's something like the AI decisions are like a "Leaderboard" with highscores, with every entry gaining or losing priority points based on many variables like distance, army strength, the AI's role (vassal,mercenary etc). Whatever is the highest score is what the agent will travel towards, so different issues like "your fief is being sieged!" or "Herdsmen needs more sheep" have different weighting and that is why we sometimes see those AI armies on campaign map move erratically between objectives.

Would be quite cool to see under the hood on this as I trust modders could have a field day with it, but I'm not sure they would want to expose that function in early access.

I think this is a fantastic mod and a fun alternative way to play early game. Of course the only way to use this mod properly is to use the Sandbox start rather than Campaign, but since the mod doesn't support 1.5.10 or 1.6... that's sort of a kick in the nuts

I think this is a fantastic mod and a fun alternative way to play early game. Of course the only way to use this mod properly is to use the Sandbox start rather than Campaign, but since the mod doesn't support 1.5.10 or 1.6... that's sort of a kick in the nuts
Now I wonder what would happen if it did work, because in the new patch a General can no longer give orders after the enemy flee, so what should a freelancer do, just cheer or run down the enemy?

Patch 1.5.10 and 1.6.0 feels like a kick in the n*** already because of this new bug/feature.

Meh, to be fair, it was cool for a few hours for a Eagle Rising campaign (saw some RP YouTuber do it, Surreal Beliefs), but quickly lost its novelty. You are dragged around by the AI, with their stupid decision making - we should send all Lords of Calradia to SERE-C, and until you get a horse and some better weapons you'll get gangbanged in the face. It also sort of turns Bannerlord into a mobile game idle clicker, where every minute or so between stops I am hitting a button for some XP.

Cool concept that could definitely be built upon natively, but just not my can of beer.

I'm not a fan of roleplaying as a soldier for another army, becoming a mercenary or any of the sort - I like to be in full control of my own gear and troops but don't get me wrong, I do like the concept of the mod and the work that was put into it.

Hopefully such mechanics can implemented in some way down the line, else.. hopefully another modder will recreate this mod in their own way as Bloc has stated he has no plans to release the source code.

It's an alternate way to start the early to mid game. Yes you're at the ai commanders whims but if you can accept then it's kind of nice to not have to make all the decisions all the time. Your just concerned with you and you're little band of mercs, anything that breaks up the monotony of the early game I'm all for.

I'm sure it's fun for some. But I could never do anything that puts me under and AI command of any sort.

I tend to ride solo until I'm ready to do the brother quest so I don't want for people to fight... things to do...

Back
Top Bottom