Free Firewall?

Users who are viewing this thread

forte712

Knight at Arms
Can anyone tell me a good, free firewall?

I am using Zone Alarm, but whenever I open a torrent program, it seems to kill my internet browser's ability to access the web..

Thanks.

Indeed, it seems that I am the only one having this kind of problem..
My friend use Zone alarm as well, and torrenting has never caused problems such as this..

But my problem always go away when I close Zone alarm..

That is why I am resorting to changing to another firewall

Any suggestions?

Yeah you probably just denied your torrent program access.... When those lil popups come up asking you if such and such program can access the internet you really need to figure out what the program is before you say yes/no.....

What do you mean allow the torrent program to pass through the firewall?

My torrent program works fine, its been downloading/uploading since last week..

And I have checked the program restrictions, and I dont see any problems

Its just that when the torrent is on, I cant browse, until I close Zone alarm..

Try limiting your upload/download speeds on the torrent program, your connection may not be fast enough to handle your current downloads/uploads and surf the net at the same time. When my d/ls and u/ls really start going websites start loading veeery slowly, and sometimes not at all (unless I keep manually trying over and over again  :evil:)

I have considered that as well..

Even at miniscule speed of 1 KBps my browser still gets blocked.. -.-"

I have been hearing good things about this free firewall called.. Comodo

Has anyone tried this one before? Is it good?

Why don't you explain exactly what the problem is, "browser not working" is too inspecific. I need to know how in particular it is not working.

Someone is really seriously and voluntarily installing a firewall on their PC? I thought those things were only invented to annoy people at schools, libraries etc.

Dynamite_cow said:
Someone is really seriously and voluntarily installing a firewall on their PC? I thought those things were only invented to annoy people at schools, libraries etc.

I don't think you have a full understanding of what a firewall is and what it does. The primary purpose of a firewall is to block hackers or other malicious entities from breaking into your system through security gaps. A computer without a firewall is vulnerable to being hijacked and/or infected by virii. If you do not have a firewall, trust me, you *need* one. Firewalls can also be used to block access to websites that the administrator of the firewall deems undesirable. This is a side benefit of firewalls (and a necessary one, used to block sites that will try to infect your computer once visited), it is not their sole purpose, or even its primary purpose.

forte712 said:
Poil said:
Have you tried to open a bookmarked site and then open a new explorer?

That...seems to work! How?

Anyhow, thanks!  :smile:

EDIT: Scratch that, must've been a fluke :sad:

It works for me most of the time. Don't ask how I've no idea.

Mage246 said:
Why don't you explain exactly what the problem is, "browser not working" is too inspecific. I need to know how in particular it is not working.

Ah forgive me..

My browser opens like usual, but instead of downloading a website, it is stuck on "Looking for www.google.com.au.." or something like that

As I mentioned before, this happens when I am torrenting.. and the problem goes away when I close Zone Alarm, but not necessarily when I close the torrent program.

Kerio is quite good... Not sure if it torrents or not, but I find it a nice little firewall, which tells you heaps more than zonealarm.. Works on the same principle as Zonealarm (60day trial after which some 'professional' options are disabled) but one thing I simply HATE about it, is that it was taken over by overly gay and pathetic Sunbelt software. It was total OWNAGE when it was still run by Kerio ::*(

So I suppose it would be only getting worse now... but it's still not too bad at this stage..

Back
Top Bottom