SP - General Forces should start further apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Lord Earl

Karen
Regular
When wrestling with the horrible command system, which lacks the very useful minimap of M&B, you need some time to organize your forces. Forces start way too close... even if you wait for enemy infantry arrive, they appear in a minute or less. Cavalry appears a lot faster, even if it barely any faster than the infantry.

Well, mathematically, if it takes less than a minute for the enemy to reach you when you're staying still... it will take HALF as long for them to reach you when you're moving towards them. So I don't see how it could take five minutes.

I tend to agree that distances are nicely balanced, it seems to me that there is a "dynamic" start distance depending on the size of the army. Anyone notice the difference in start distance depending on battle size?

How do you think they are nicely balanced? I sometimes start within 100 yards of the enemy, well within arrow range, and they get to me in less than 30 seconds. If I approached them actively, it'd be about 15 seconds.

After extensive practice, I have developed muscle memory to put my troops into square and send them onto a nearby hill, a little before the cavalry arrives, when they spawn less than a minute away from me. But you definitely cannot do that in time if you're learning the F-keys, as many players will be.

Alternatively, we could just bring back the minimap and tactical screen. That tends to make formations and troop management a lot faster. And you could add some total-way like features where you drag formations to decide their depth.

I preferred the distances in Viking Invasion better so that you could experiment with commands and positioning of your troops. Then occasionally there might be an ambush where you did not have time. Here I feel it is just a little close. If their cavalry charges you barely have time with the new button arrangements to do something reasonable with your troops. I really like the battle maps so if that is the issue and they can't move farther away, just build in a little delay before the enemy reacts.

I think when you start learning patterns and commands the distance is at your advantage. Plus, playing against cavalry never end up getting charged before you even have the time to from a square or something like that.
Distances just love archery and crossbows !
And for ambushes, you have to much time to react for me. It is supposed to be very fast and not good for you, here you still have the time to react.

You're getting a bit personally-anecdotal, with that. Even if something is fine for you, that doesn't mean it is fine for everyone. And even if it takes 15 more seconds for you to reach the enemy, that doesn't mean things won't still be fine for you.

I second qmax's comment, we need more time to organize. Otherwise, new players will never even try to learn the commands.

Alternatively, we could use a Tactical Pause system, as some users have suggested.

One of the reasons you want to spawn fairly close together is that it forces you to think quick about tactics and organizing your army. If you spawn even further away then you do now then you get to much time to think and it makes it a bit to easy. Fighting cavalry is scary because if they charge then i have little time to prepare. Starting further apart will ruin that urgency and stress that you get as of now.

OR it forces you to not bother thinking about tactics.... Really, what's the difference between coming up with a military plan in 30 seconds versus two minutes? Both are reasonably quick periods of time.

Your plan is always based on your composition : you never have only 2 sec you already know a bit what you'll do in battle when you go out with your soldiers
archers + cavalry => defense until the enemy charge and then you clean them
infantry + archers => slowly going forward to force the enemy to charge your formation
… Nothing is hard here, the AI is even making it easier. Starting further apart would just make me press the "send troop" button to stop losing my time

I'm afraid I couldn't understand a word of what you were trying to express. There is another topic that was also suggesting troops start further away from each other, that has some support. Many people seem to think this would be handy, and they're not new players.

I don't need more than a few seconds to use the commander interface, now... but it's still pretty stupid to have less than a minute to prepare your defence, when you're dealing with a complicated menu system for real time commands between three types of units.

Some people also recommended a tactical pause screen, with more details commands for your troops, which seems like a good idea. That'd serve as an alternative, so people who want to just dish out a couple of orders and charge into battle can, if they want.

If many people wants it, then ok but let it be an option that you choose at least. Easy mode, and realistic as for the rest of options

Back
Top Bottom