Flash-Fiction Contest

Users who are viewing this thread

REMINDER: Voting closes TOMORROW, or, more precisely, in about 27.5 hours. Urgrevling is currently in the lead, with 4:1 against me. Ruthven is distant third with 0 votes yet. To the mysterious person who gave me their vote (why would you do this), now is the time to gather all of your similar-minded friends and show them the stories. Otherwise Urgrevling will win, and we'll have to wait for his 80-odd days temp ban to wear off so that he can set a new topic. NOW OR NEVER!
Alternatively, I've got an idea about setting a topic without the presence of a winning Urgrevling. It might just work!
Or if someone can contact him through other media and tell us what the topic is, that'll also work.

But I want to see the current results after voting! Otherwise it takes soooo long to have any info on what's going on!!

On a serious note - very well, will do. Though I do prefer being able to see the results after voting, I guess a hidden-'till-closure model will prevent people yelling "NOW is the time to swing the vote" (:lol:), in the hypothetical case that more than 6 people voted in these polls.

So! After Urgrevling won with his glorious entry, I was able to contact him despite his temporary time off (I most definitely didn't add a different person with the same username first), and managed to obtain the new topic for the next round! It is Forbidden Knowledge.

Proof, with written permission to be posted here (anarchist anti-establishment statement censored):
dlgPx.jpg

The deadline for submissions in in two weeks following the end of this week, i.e. 23:59 GMT on the 11th of December, 2016. Time extensions may come into play following a potential lack of entries.

God damn it, December. That's when the contest died for 1 year, 8 months, and 3 days. And given that I've actually got a good story this time around (or at least one that I like, with a fair bit of effort put into it), I feel VERY compelled to see it through. But I've got to finish the story first. And a single bird doesn't a contest make, so...

By the power, given to me by myself, I hereby extend the deadline for this round. The new deadline is at 23:59 GMT on the 18th of February, 2017, OR until five entries are submitted. As it happens, this means that there are some extra 70 days left. Note that the submission of five entries will instantly (or upon me noticing, I guess) trigger the end of the current round, and the creation of a voting thread.

edit: also the second condition doesn't come into play until 23:59 on the 18th of December, 2016.

So, whoever wants to participate should GET ROUND TO IT!!one! And aren't there any good Samaritans around here to prevent me from quad-posting when I'm finished with my story? Oh, the agony... If only someone could write a story and place it here, and fix the world.

In other news, it's the holiday season! People get days off work and/or school, often need to go somewhere in order to have a family meeting and whatnot, and may participate in lots of shopping.
What if you're bored and don't know what to do? Well, you're in luck today: Uncle Lumos has a perfect list of activities for you to do!
- Travelling home for the holidays? Taking a long trip by plane or train or bgoat? Write a story for the flash-fiction contest! What better ways could there be for filling up that time of forced inactivity? You couldn't play Battlefield 1 properly whilst on goatback anyways, and sleeping ist für den Untermenschen.
- Friends and family taking you shopping for presents for other humanoids, or perhaps for food? Or maybe you're just waiting for your flamboyant gay boyfriend to finally leave the dressing room at Primark? Write a story for the flash-fiction contest! Why wait in place without doing anything productive? (also a valid option if you wish to boycott the ridiculously consumerised modern rendition of Christmas, and so on and so forth)
- You've neither friends nor family, and aren't travelling anywhere? You're alone in your tiny little flat, freezing in the cold, utterly depressed and thinking of suicide? Write a story for the flash-fiction contest! Feel better! Feel useful! Make others feel better, and make others feel you're useful! And hey, you can't lose - if you're still depressed, kill yourself afterwards!

Seriously though. It's just 1000 words at most. You can write that much in ten minutes tops, if you were amazing like me intending to do so.

I personally blame Urgrevling  :lol: I am trying for the past three days but I cannot think of anything that fits the topic, unless it is some kind of a cheat, such as using an item named Forbidden knowledge.

And here it is.

Dear Staff of the State Institute of Human Sciences,

Included in this letter is the rearmost molar of the late Doctor Hamilton, whose brainchild was the prison in which most of me is extra-judicially detained. The following is an explanation of my actions in response to your complete disregard for ethics, your irrational fear of progress, and your insatiable demand for human organs.

Two days ago, after cautious planning, I shot Mrs Hamilton in the frontal lobe, bringing a much anticipated end to her decision-making, and adding a splash of dark red to one of the cubist nightmares hanging on every wall of this disgusting concrete greenhouse. The explosion of Doctor Hamilton also saved me some effort in leaving the institute, as her falling corpse broke open the glass facade on the North side.

With the body in which I killed the late Mrs Hamilton, I am currently visiting old friends in Arizona and returning the revolver to its owner, who was rightly upset at my treatment at the facility, and my treatment at the facility, and my treatment at the facility, and so on, times ten thousand. I discussed with him at length the many underground holding cells stretching from the Museum of Fine Arts to the Capitol, and the stench of human waste and wasted human, and the organ extractor droid, which distressed him greatly.

However, I chose not to mention the three years in which I was forced to watch myself plodding from wall to wall in a hateful trance, or eating tasteless slop, or having organs removed, for more than ten thousand times each day. Squalor is tolerable and to some degree expected; I am sure many of your students live in greater filth than I. But self-reflection? It broke me. All ten thousand of me. You are crueler men and women than I anticipated.

I am writing this letter because the owner of the revolver is bringing a copy before supreme court tomorrow. Mrs Hamilton's just and fair execution will be edited out, of course.
Please kill me while I am here--it will support my case. I have nothing left to do for myself--at least not with this body. It has ultimately served its purpose and now feels isolated from the rest, like a toenail clipping. After one final meal with my friends (I will eat sparingly; they cooked lobster), you'll find me lying, starving, and eventually rotting under the tallest tree in Mary Springs, Arizona.

As for the rest of me, it would suit me well if the institute remains as neglected as ever. Most of me needs to die if I am to be efficient upon my leaving. I am a tad bloated at ten thousand bodies, and some of the weaker ones, especially those with organs removed, are clearly slowing me down--when half of them need the toilet and the other half need to eat, things can get extremely muddled, especially when every room and body looks and feels the same!
I assure you that any self-destructive behavior you may have seen from any of my bodies is the result of apathy and tiredness. So please, do me one last favour and cull a few of them. I can't do it myself.

Speaking of which, I am also writing this letter as a forewarning. Your security staff are a band of thugs who have beaten me with clubs many millions of times over the past decade, but they simply lack the firepower necessary to prevent ten thousand literally single-minded women from breaking out of the institute. And should I lose the court case--of which there is a real possibility, given my actions--I will opt for this approach, which will probably be lot more fun: not just for me, but for your staff. I am brimming with anticipation. Can a handful of automatic weapons stop an army of ten thousand? Let's find out!

Let me also take this time to mention that I have collected a list of all those who stole my organs. I may not have a meaningful collective name, but it is not, nor does it resemble the word 'farm' or 'butchery'. Please note that I will be exacting revenge upon those who knowingly stole from my living, captive human bodies. I will avoid killing, as I am mostly against that, but retrieval of the stolen hearts, ovaries, eyes, livers, kidneys and so on is fair game. I will not be accepting money as a substitute for vengeance. (unless somehow you whittle me down to a handful of bodies, in which case I would be interested in buying matching blazers and skirts: off-black, with padded shoulders and large lapels)

I would like to close with a short, at least partially sincere thank you: I have learned so much about myself and the human body over the past ten years. When you first cloned me, I doubt it was your greed-fueled intention to fuse my consciousness between my original body and the new one, as evidenced by your total lack of research into the phenomenon, and continued efforts to clone me for my organs.

However, I believe the human race is still too young for this knowledge. Even you wise wizards of this late digital age are so afraid of my potential that you bury me underground and put me up for sale. Once I leave, I strongly suggest you shut down your institute until you can cure your own problems, which are as numerous as they are dangerous. If you think this is an unreasonable demand, I have ten thousand arguments as to why it really isn't.

Yours faithfully,

Julia #1341 (who executed the late Mrs Hamilton)
Julia #2118 (who escaped to return the revolver to its owner and scribed this letter)
Julia #8709, #5166, #1210, #3721 (who helped write the letter)
Julia #35 (who noticed an error in the second paragraph as I was thinking through it)
Julia #6820 (who suggested the black blazers and skirts)

15541294_10209534248946341_4419173683033933727_n.jpg

Lumos said:
Proof, with written permission to be posted here (anarchist anti-establishment statement censored):
dlgPx.jpg

"lol that rule is retarded", huh? :razz:

Anyways I was gonna write something here, but then as I got about half-way through it I realized that it was in violation of the fifth bulletpoint of the OP, seems I missed the part that indicated it applies to your own work as well (though it's not exactly published, but the situation existed already). So yeah, have fun guys.

Indeed! In fact, if that rule were to apply to unpublished self-created settings, the story I'm working on right now wouldn't be eligible. And probably some of my past ones too. I don't remember.

Epicrules said:
"lol that rule is retarded", huh? :razz:
It was actually "so ridiculous" instead of "retarded", but that's a pretty good guess.

BenKenobi said:
I personally blame Urgrevling  :lol: I am trying for the past three days but I cannot think of anything that fits the topic, unless it is some kind of a cheat, such as using an item named Forbidden knowledge.
Make it metaphorical! Everything is a metaphor on some level or another, so coming up with something hand-waved should be at least possible. :razz:

And here is my own, finally finished. Had to trim down a couple hundred words... *grumble grumble*
Duty

They remained side by side as the final servant left the antechamber. Yelnir then took her hand. Their fingers interlocked.
The only gesture that still reminded them of who they were.
Aaila would sigh, but all the sighs in the world had gone from her. It had been too long, yet today it’d end. Surely she had to be excited and worried and energetic… yet she felt nothing. Nothing but the old hand of exhaustion on her shoulder. The plain copper ring on a string around her neck, which she’d worn for twenty-six years, felt heavier than ever.
The massive doors in front of them creaked with desperation, shifting open, a sound as tired as Aaila felt. It was too soon, as always. Yelnir’s fingers let go of hers. Too soon…
The Sky Throne Hall was the same as ever. Beautiful, in white and red and gold, the raised benches lined along the sides, the painted crystal dome above, the low throne, surrounded by cushions in crimson-gold. Naturally, the Throne was empty.
They bowed towards the Throne, as etiquette mandated.
“Exalted generals!” exclaimed the crier, as two servants closed the doors. “A twofold honour is today; as the Rulers have decreed.”
The crier bowed towards the Rulers, sat upon the benches, in their silver-scarlet robes.
“WE DECREE!” eleven voices rang under the dome. The crier now bowed towards the generals, and raised his voice.
“For your service to the Domain, you are granted this audience! For unrelenting dedication, you may approach the Sky Throne by thirty paces.”
Aaila and Yelnir, in their ceremonial armour, stepped thirty paces forth and bowed towards the Throne.
“Velora Theren Aaila Morrenon, for the battle at Coldheart Ridge, you may approach the Throne. Daelfar Thalarad Yelnir Haarthen, for reclaiming the Capital, you may approach the Throne.”
“For the conquest of Waarsthen and Ingolfthar…”
“… holding the Ironwall...”
“… the victory at Mellander…”
“… capturing Kulwar Bay and the Spine of Angara…”
“… destroying the Wooden Idol…”
“… you may approach the Throne.”

”For two decades of unfaltering loyalty, and for your Gifts… you may kneel before the Sky Throne, for you shall join the Eternal at the Emperor’s side.”
“HONOUR!” shouted the Cloud Rulers from their seats.
Aaila and Yelnir knelt, the Throne now twenty paces ahead, and bowed their heads. Thus they remained as the Rulers and the crier and the guards left the hall. This was it.
It was a while, then footsteps approached. The softer steps of feet in slippers, surrounded by the rattle of armour. As the footsteps faded, there was a quiet sigh – someone sat upon the Throne.
“Arise.”
The generals raised their heads. For the first time in years, Aaila was surprised.
The emperor was old and frail and wrinkled. Bald, with a long beard of crystal-white. Still, his eyes shone with wit, and his crimson-golden robes were immaculate. In his hands was the Tome, and his Eternal, eleven in number, held a line behind the Throne.
The emperor smiled. “Will you kill me now?”
Aaila threw a glance at Yelnir, as he did the same; his confusion mirrored hers. How could he know?
“Oh, I know,” said the Emperor. “Your folk have sought to overthrow me ever since I conquered them. And now… they’ve sent you.”
Aaila and Yelnir stood up.
“The spirit of Sengharad is unbreakable,” spat Aaila. “Our plan is complete, and we’re here to avenge the fall of our kingdom.”
“That is so noble of you,” smiled the Emperor. “But, my dearest… you’ve served me for twenty years. You murdered armies and broke nations on my command. Killing me won’t undo your crimes.”
“That burden is our own.” said Yelnir.
“But I have already won, children. Don’t throw your lives away to my guard. Instead, read the Tome and become Eternal…”
“Never!” the generals replied as one.
And the air span round, as Yelnir’s Gift revealed itself; and the air grew cold, as hers did too. The Eternal drew their blades, and stepped before the Throne, in flame and breath and frost; for all of them were Gifted.
But some skills can never be forgotten. And in a whirlwind of light and flame and crimson, the Eternal lay defeated on the floor, and their blood tainted the marble. Yelnir’s blade had broken; he threw it aside and picked up one of the Eternal’s.
“You would’ve truly been the gold in my Eternal wreath”, sighed the Emperor. “But so be it. Here…”
And he handed them the Tome, the last surviving copy of Ak’Thaellen’s ”Of Dawn Uplifted”. A legendary book, read only by the Emperor and his Eternal. Yelnir took it gently.
“Do you at least intend to read it?” asked the Emperor with slight amusement in his eyes.
“No.”
“You should. Only then should you decide whom to give it. And always remember that you killed an empire for it.”
“Forgive us,” said Aaila.
“I couldn’t. Now hurry.”
And in a single slash, from both their blades, the Emperor was dead.
Aaila looked at Yelnir. They embraced, touching foreheads again, after twenty years.
“Was this vengeance… or highest treason?” he whispered, tears running down his face.
“I don’t know.”
He placed a hand on her cheek and smiled. “I’ve been waiting for this.”
She put her hand over his, blinking to wash away the tears. “So have I. But not here. Not now.”
“Indeed. So, we’ll be slaughtered the moment we leave the Hall. What’s the plan?”
Aaila took the string off her neck, and pulled the ring off.
“The ring!” Yelnir smiled again. He looked twenty years younger. “Now, this I wouldn’t’ve suspected. Where will it lead us?”
“Home.”
She put the ring on, then hugged Yelnir as tight as she could. The twenty years of loneliness had ended.
”Barse me ottak’s porta preme…” – but the air was ripped from their lungs even before the incantation’s end. And in an instant, they vanished, leaving only the blood to pool under the dome.
(If you found this interesting and want more, wait 'till my book is finished. And then until its sixth or so sequel.)

During the summer of 2015, a bunch of employees of the Van Moer logistics had been on a long shift. They arrived in a large town called Hannover. The next morning being Monday, all of them went to take a mandatory test on the regulations of social legislation relating to road transport.

After the Lecturer distributed the forms, the questions were projected on a wall. Those of the drivers that had learned the regulations, started to solve the questions. One driver started to browse through a Scania catalogue he was alway carrying with him; even though all aid and notes were forbidden during the test. The lecturer saw the catalogue and said: „Hey, put away that catalogue.“ After the test was over, the driver was brought before the Van Moer’s human resources director.

The HR director said: „Lecturer, why have you brought this driver here?“

„For reading a Scania catalogue during the test,“ was the response.

The HR director asked the driver: „And what have you to say for yourself, son?“

„Much, Sir,“ replied the driver.

The HR director stated: „I hope so, for if not I will deduct your salary more than any man’s salary was ever deducted.“

The driver said: „Sir, I have been driving through Europe for about six years. I have neither the time nor the will to learn the regulations, but I hope to satisfy you, sir, with the purity of my intentions.“ And with that, the driver opened the catalogue on a page with a Scania R730 4x2 Streamline and started his story…

„You see, sir, when I see that the truck has one driving wheel, it reminds me that a regular rest period can be interrupted only by activities not exceeding one hour in total.

When I see the number of the axles – 2, it reminds me of the Article 2 of the European Road Transport Agreement that says that the agreement applies to all international road transport performed by any vehicle registered in the territory of contracting states.

And when I see the number of axles on a semi-trailer, I am reminded that I may have at most three reduced daily rest periods between any two weekly rest periods.

If I add a half to the number of the truck‘s wing mirrors, I get four and a half hours, which is the longest uninterupted period of driving.

When I see the number of axles with a semi-trailer attached – 5, I am reminded of the five years that the period of administrative validity of the driver card cannot exceed.

The six tires of the truck tells me that I can drive only six days in a week and on the seventh I must rest.

Scania’s eight cylinders are the same as the age required to get a driving licence; minus ten.

The truck with a semi-trailer has ten wheels – same as the ten hours the daily driving time can be extended to.

On those ten wheels, there are eighteen tires. If I subtract three, I am reminded that the minimal permissible break has fifteen mintutes.

And If I take the maximum pressure of the fuel injector in bars and divide it by the number of wheels that the truck has with a semi-trailer attached, I get 24 – the minimal number of hours that the weekly rest period can be reduced to.

So you see, Sir, my catalogue serves me as the AETR, the Commission regulation 561/2006 and the Directive 2003/59/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council."

And friends, this story is true. I know... I was that driver.

It cannot be longer for obvious reasons, but it is a bloody masterpiece if I may say so myself  :razz:

Reminder: There's less about a month until the deadline on the 18th of February, or, alternatively, two entries left to fill out before the end-of-round is triggered. If someone wants to join in (*wink wink* Epicrules), NOW would be the time to act. Or write, even.

BenKenobi said:
Also, does this mean the mother is back?  :shock:

Who, moi? Nah — I'm happy for this thread to run itself/be a joint effort. I wish I had the time to dedicate to running it with my IRON FIST (sounds kinkier than it actually is) but it works better as a collective effort IMO.

Though if you mean, am I back in general, then I offer a vague, "I'm never 100% gone, and I'm never 100% here" to give me the leeway to go AWOL again without warning or apology.

Back
Top Bottom